Should Ashie keep his MBE for leadership of the department during the Covid-19 pandemic?

Broadcasterman

Should Ashford’s MBE go?   

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He could have got it for:-

• Having the foresight and good sense to purchase a chewing gum removal machine for £120,000
  • Shredding all documents (whether genuine or mostly made up ones) he receives in a timely and professional manner
  • Publishing point by point rebuttals
  • Services to perpetuating the memory of Bram Stoker's No1 villain
  • Services to inappropriate attendances at Australian themed nightclubs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

In the list of potential consequences from the Dr. Ranson debacle this should be quite near the bottom of the wish list.

These archaic honours are ever more irrelevant in the modern world. They're often presented to the most unworthy and morally dubious recipients, they perpetuate the glamourisation of what was a barbaric and extremely racist empire, the countless victims of which would be much better served by some expression of regret in its actions, rather than continuing to use this dark period in history to reward and aggrandise establishment yes men for doing the job they're overpaid to do. 

You have to question the worthiness awards system which needs to save face by secretly asking potential recipients whether they would accept the "honour" (apparently many of them don't) before it is publicly offered.

If our politicians had any wit or balls they'd be pushing to remove this old fashioned and meaningless nonsense from the island as well as the completely irrelevant and costly title of lord of mann, especially given the current golden opportunity to do so.

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I dont think the MBE is related. I think he should be disciplined for his actions by being stripped of his right to public office.

Au contraire .. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/ashford-awarded-mbe-in-birthday-honours-list-237471

Mr Ashford is one of seven residents to be honoured by The Queen and one of three to received Covid-19 honours in the island.

A statement from Government House said: ’Mr Ashford has been at the centre of the Island’s efforts to suppress the spread and has shown strong leadership of the Health and Social Care Services’

’He has expertly answered questions at press briefings with kindness and humour in equal measure. He has instilled confidence at a challenging time for all and has shown selfless commitment and an unquestionable sense of duty.’

I thought both Professor Ashford and ex CM Quayle should never have been rewarded with honours and recognition. At least, whilst they were currently serving in public office. Honours to politicians should be given after a long period after retiring or being voted out of office. I also said at the time that many Manx people donate their valuable time and resources to charity, some for years without any recognition. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Broadcasterman said:

Au contraire .. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/ashford-awarded-mbe-in-birthday-honours-list-237471

Mr Ashford is one of seven residents to be honoured by The Queen and one of three to received Covid-19 honours in the island.

A statement from Government House said: ’Mr Ashford has been at the centre of the Island’s efforts to suppress the spread and has shown strong leadership of the Health and Social Care Services’

’He has expertly answered questions at press briefings with kindness and humour in equal measure. He has instilled confidence at a challenging time for all and has shown selfless commitment and an unquestionable sense of duty.’

I guess if you put it that way!

He shouldn't have received it in the first place & he should never be a minister again.

I don't think it's a good idea to strip awards without a criminal conviction or misconduct finding and we don't have that here. What process would there be to stop awards being given by one government and taken away by the next? Is being incompetent sufficient anyway - how do you judge?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Declan said:

He shouldn't have received it in the first place & he should never be a minister again.

I don't think it's a good idea to strip awards without a criminal conviction or misconduct finding and we don't have that here. What process would there be to stop awards being given by one government and taken away by the next? Is being incompetent sufficient anyway - how do you judge?

You say he should never be a minister again. But if he is elected as an MHK, the question whether or not GP he should be a minister is down to the CM not you or I. (And I think he will be re- elected, so a sufficient majority in his constituency  obviously think he’s OK)

Agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You say he should never be a minister again. But if he is elected as an MHK, the question whether or not GP he should be a minister is down to the CM not you or I. (And I think he will be re- elected, so a sufficient majority in his constituency  obviously think he’s OK)

Agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph.