Here we go again

ADELE

You've been Kopek'd. And it's only early morning.

I suppose it is a case of asking the newbies down at Quarterbridge or St Ninians "would you like to spend the next 2 weeks stuck up the mountain. Erm please".

Actually, I believe The Mountain is a great place to marshal but it generally takes a particular sort of person. 

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

You've been Kopek'd. And it's only early morning.

I suppose it is a case of asking the newbies down at Quarterbridge or St Ninians "would you like to spend the next 2 weeks stuck up the mountain. Erm please".

Actually, I believe The Mountain is a great place to marshal but it generally takes a particular sort of person. 

Agreed. Actually ‘the mad mountain marshals’ are usually well represented, and it might only be for a few sessions - not every session. They’ve started a new ‘sector 13 (or was it 00)’ where people sign up but are flexible and then are sent to where numbers are low or experience is needed. That will help. Ultimately marshals are super-fans so if it’s a case of not going ahead or some of them moving, I know people will be willing to move. 

• Thanks 1

If this is the case why is the COC making an appeal ?    Left hand needs to meet right hand perhaps.     I know Marshalls that would not contemplate the Mountain speck first up last to leave and if the weather turns bad it can be cold and miserable.    It must be be terrific being the only qualified one when there is a really bad accident.

16 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Terrific or horrific?

Having seen a couple or three, even the best "trained" Marshals have not got a clue and run around flapping. I don't fault them, it is a horrific thing to witness first hand.

How do you train a marshal or especially a newbie one to cope mentally, for the visual experience of massive brunt force trauma injuries that often occur on the island bike races? An online form will not do it.

Never mind the decapitations, there are plenty other massive traumas, with arms, legs and other sticky out bits* ripped off at the side of the road/ impact event. Not forgetting the horse cut in half in Ballaugh that I saw, not a pretty sight.

*Yes I mean cocks, they get mangled just like the other body parts when they hit a hard structure at speed and stop abruptly.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Having seen a couple or three, even the best "trained" Marshals have not got a clue and run around flapping. I don't fault them, it is a horrific thing to witness first hand.

How do you train a marshal or especially a newbie one to cope mentally, for the visual experience of massive brunt force trauma injuries that often occur on the island bike races? An online form will not do it.

Never mind the decapitations, there are plenty other massive traumas, with arms, legs and other sticky out bits* ripped off at the side of the road/ impact event. Not forgetting the horse cut in half in Ballaugh that I saw, not a pretty sight.

*Yes I mean cocks, they get mangled just like the other body parts when they hit a hard structure at speed and stop abruptly.

Usual bollocks from some worldly English wheni who knows much more about the races than any local despite not even living here 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I'm afraid I don't believe you , perhaps you could specify where you witnessed  these incidents you claimed .

FWIW I have witnessed 12 "offs" and assisted the paramedic when we had one otherwise I was on my own with the rider. Your broad assertion that "marshals haven't got a clue and run around flapping " is offensive and untrue.

Out or the 12 , 2 were "fatals" ,neither of which fitted  your description of the aftermath of a "fatal" and both were a result of the initial point of impact trauma .

I no longer marshal as I feel the CoC has a cavalier attitude to rider safety ( see my  previous posts ) and I do not accept the instruction that irrespective of the circumstances riders should be dragged off the road  and 'rolled' onto a 'scoop stretcher' . I have yet to meet a paramedic who would agree with that instruction and not split the scoop stretcher when a rider  clearly may have  leg/pelvic/ internal injuries .

A number of local marshals opted not to marshal  because they could not , as required by the ACU / CoC obey ( without question), adopt  and applaud all the decisions / instructions of the COC . Failure to do so would involve the diciplinary procedure and being told your services were no longer required ( see the sacking of the CSM Sector 10 by the CoC when (comically), he actually had no authority as he held no position in the IOMTT MA , but later apparently ratified (?) )

I think the "cock" you refer to is in fact you blade runner. hope this helps .

Just saying:flowers:

Edited by paswt
  • Like 6

On 8/16/2023 at 6:34 PM, Blade Runner said:

I'm sorry, I don't believe a word of this. You have seen 2 or 3 major traumas and have removed the leathers and checked on the genitals? I'm calling absolute BS on this one!!! I'm willing to out myself on this. You explain your experience and qualifications and I will!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Itsmeee said:

I wonder if the cancellation of sailings this weekend will affect the number of marshals available?

It is....in a major way...quite a few supposedly traveling tomorrow are not getting rebookings until Thurs 24th.

This might lead to pressure and lobbying to put on extra sailings Sunday/Monday...though not at any expense of safety of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joebean said:

It’s pretty boring and happens every year. MGP/shortage of marshals; take your pick. 

It’s serious when you have the CoC appealing on the NPM this morning. Some would argue, that poor planning of the races haven’t helped, along with the weather, but as you and many others says, this is a yearly mantra particularly MGP/FOM time. Whilst in the end, the cries of help are heeded and practice/racing takes place, there may come a time when it has to be postponed/cancelled due to a severe lack of marshals, or the racing curtailed. 

• Like 1