Football v rugby

The Voice of Reason

World Rugby has apologised to hundreds of England and Argentina supporters who missed kick-off and were caught in a potentially “catastrophic” crush before the Pool D match at the Stade Vélodrome.

Telegraph Sport columnist Brian Moore and relatives of England players missed the start of their World Cup campaign in which Tom Curry was sent off after just three minutes. One supporter who contacted the Telegraph said “if it was a football crowd, it would have been a riot”.

It’s this sort of sanctimonious twaddle that makes me glad I follow the beautiful game rather than being one of the sort of people who would rather follow rugby.

51 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

One supporter who contacted the Telegraph said “if it was a football crowd, it would have been a riot”.

Yeah this is obvious bollocks, seeing as there was a potentially lethal crush at exactly the same stadium 18 months ago, and the inquiry after expressly praised the Liverpool fans for preventing one despite UEFA and the French authorities attempting to blame them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This Rugby World Cup has already produced some of the best games I've seen in a long long time. 

If you're even only 'Rugby curious' try and watch the games this weekend. Hopefully they'll match up to the earlier games. 

Friday 8pm - Argentina (yes really) v NZ

Saturday 8pm - SA v England.

My money is on a SA v NZ final. 

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

My money is on a SA v NZ final. 

Any other predictions for us? The sun will rise in the East perhaps? Israel and Hamas will not sign a peace agreement? 😆

I'll be amazed if both England and Argentina aren't trounced.

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Any other predictions for us? The sun will rise in the East perhaps? Israel and Hamas will not sign a peace agreement? 😆

I'll be amazed if both England and Argentina aren't trounced.

Meanie. 

It's been a weird knock out to be fair, resulting in oddly obvious (probably) semi finals.  The quarters have been generally great matches though.  SA vs France on Sunday would probably be worth a re-watch for anybody. 

Although seeing some of the smaller teams such as Fiji, Tonga and Argentina be massively underestimated by some of the 'old guard' teams and get through has been pretty cool. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Meanie. 

It's been a weird knock out to be fair, resulting in oddly obvious (probably) semi finals.  The quarters have been generally great matches though.  SA vs France on Sunday would probably be worth a re-watch for anybody. 

Although seeing some of the smaller teams such as Fiji, Tonga and Argentina be massively underestimated by some of the 'old guard' teams and get through has been pretty cool. 

France - SA was a cracker wasn't it? Worthy of the final.  Wales underperformed in the quarters, they should have beaten Argentina, and I was hopeful for Ireland too.  Was great to see Australia go home early, but apart from that it's been pretty much 'as expected' in terms of the results.

According to Bet 365 the odds of your final prediction coming off is about 4 to 1 on.  England are 19/4 to beat SA, with an expected 13 point margin to SA.  Bookies are usually there or thereabouts.

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

France - SA was a cracker wasn't it? Worthy of the final.  Wales underperformed in the quarters, they should have beaten Argentina, and I was hopeful for Ireland too.  Was great to see Australia go home early, but apart from that it's been pretty much 'as expected' in terms of the results.

According to Bet 365 the odds of your final prediction coming off is about 4 to 1 on.  England are 19/4 to beat SA, with an expected 13 point margin to SA.  Bookies are usually there or thereabouts.

France v SA was one of the top 3 games I've ever seen.  What a comeback from SA.  They didn't seem to get firing in the second half until the last 10 minutes.  I wonder if they allowed France to tire themselves out, then moved in for the kill. 

Wales are always one of my favourite teams to watch.  They had an absolute shocker against the Argies. 

57 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Bloody hell I wasn't expecting England to be ahead at half time. Still think SA are the better team so here's to an exciting 2nd half!

As predicted. Exciting 2nd half. Bad luck England. All down to the last 2 mins!

On 10/21/2023 at 9:58 PM, Chinahand said:

I almost felt sorry for the Argies against NZ, but then I remembered the Falklands. 

SA vs England was a messy match, I was almost certain England had it.  That was one slippery ball especially for the Saffas.  Commentator put it best at the end when he said "SA have lead the match for 2 and a half minutes".  They did very similar with France, were all over the place until right at the end of the second half.  Makes you wonder if it seems to be a purposeful tactic. 

Hopefully SA play a bit better on Saturday, otherwise NZ will destroy them. 

And if anyone is interested in the alleged racist name calling, the C-bomb is extremely rarely used in SA and bearing in mind most of their in game chats are in Afrikaans, if he was going for that insult, he more than likely would have used the word "poes" pronounced "puss".  Wit Kant = white side, seems genuinely likely. 

On 10/21/2023 at 9:58 PM, Chinahand said:

South Africa just made it difficult for themselves and almost shot themselves in the foot. If they'd fielded the 2nd half side from the start, we'd have seen the game we expected to watch. Perhaps they thought that England were so poor that they could beat them with half a team of second stringers.