The Reckoning

Passing Time

8 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Not a fan of Steve Coogan, but his portrayal of that loathsome creature Saville is worthy of the TV equivalent of an Oscar. We’re still only two episodes in 

It was a really good series I watched all 4 on I-Player, I thought it was really respectful to the victims and had a few of them on talking about stuff. 

• Like 1

Watched this over the weekend. Harrowing. Making him boss at Broadmoor was astonishing, I remember Savile being made a sort of governor but at the time I never gave it another thought. Probably illegal too.

I was also mystified as to why the BBC changed the ethnicity of the youngster who commited suicide. An unnecessary diversion in the story as far as I can see, begs the question of why?

Excellent portrayal by Coogan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

I was also mystified as to why the BBC changed the ethnicity of the youngster who committed suicide. An unnecessary diversion in the story as far as I can see, begs the question of why?

I suspect it was to make it clear that she wasn't intended to actually be Claire McAlpine, but rather a fictional composite of several victims. It was done in consultation with McAlpine's family.

I've no idea whether all Savile's victims were white or not, but you'd hardly be surprised if the paedophile necrophiliac was also a racist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1