one = 1

couple = 2

few = 3 or 4

five = 5

several = 6, 7, 8, 9

ten = 10

dozen = 12

backers dozen = 13 or 14

thats absolute numbers, of course if you’re looking at comparative quantities, say the number of red wine gums in a kilo where there are 225 other flavours and only 25 red, then there are few red ones.

10 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Thats a few hundred quid a year, as indeed is £40 a month you muppet.

I’m sure that if any tradesman said that the job would be a few hundred quid and then charged you £500 you’d agree that £500 certainly isn’t a few hundred quid. You muppet. 

52 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s not, and on principle I wouldn’t employ anyone who was on LinkedIn.

Its full of made up CV’s in management speak exaggerating what people have done and their ability.

That covers just about everyone who is anyone of significance in the IoM gov.

[I give them extra points for the c.v. written in the third person]

1 minute ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

I’m sure that if any tradesman said that the job would be a few hundred quid and then charged you £500 you’d agree that £500 certainly isn’t a few hundred quid. You muppet. 

To be honest I didn’t give it much thought.  I said a few because it more than a hundred and less than a thousand and I didn’t realise it would be scrutinised.

I couldn’t care less if you think it’s a few hundred quid or not.  It’s my money to spend and I see it as money well spent so I hope you don’t lose too much sleep over it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

It’s my money to spend and I see it as money well spent so I hope you don’t lose too much sleep over it.

I certainly don’t lose any sleep about anything said on this forum at all. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I know it was a long time a ago, but I was taught

one = 1

couple = 2

few = 3 or 4

five = 5

several = 6, 7, 8, 9

ten = 10

dozen = 12

backers dozen = 13 or 14

thats absolute numbers, of course if you’re looking at comparative quantities, say the number of red wine gums in a kilo where there are 225 other flavours and only 25 red, then there are few red ones.

What about?

quite a few.

Not that many

A slack handful

A couple or 3

Five or so

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

On the contrary, LinkedIn is extremely valuable.  You can look at someone's entry and see exactly how much of a bullshitter they are.  How obviously inflated the job descriptions; how frequent their job changes have been; where the mysterious gaps in their cvs exist; even how vacuous the articles they promote are.  Anyone reading them with even half a critical eye can pick up a lot of information - most of it given unwittingly.

Naturally this skill is beyond IOMG's HR Department, but then what isn't.

LinkedIn a.k.a. Apprentice Wannabee Central

I'm not a massive fan of LinkedIn - the 'Follow Richard Branson for more inspirational bullshit' section is not for me, but it does have its uses.

Perception varies based on the sector you're in, I think. If you're a dry stone waller you're probably not going to get as much mileage as a full stack developer for training, recruitment opportunities, hearing about events, etc.

Some employers expect you to have some presence on LinkedIn, even if it's the briefest of summaries.

1 hour ago, loaf said:

Some employers expect you to have some presence on LinkedIn, even if it's the briefest of summaries.

Some employers even demand they control what you put on it.

I once got bollocked by an employer for a comment (jokey but not offensive) I made on a friend's Linkedin post.  It was actually the proverbial straw with that job and I quit following the bollocking and refusing to remove said comment from my Linkedin profile.