40k for Douglas Council to polish the first section of a turd

CrazyDave

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Acting against the prevailing commonsense of treating Traffic Roundels as roundabouts introduces an element of unpredictability on the road. Drivers, accustomed to the roundabout approach, may find it challenging to anticipate the actions of those adhering strictly to the unmarked junction principle

You literally just explained why they were installed!!! That is exactly what they are designed to do 😂

• Like 2

What look like shite and cause arguments about how to use them. A simple white spot in the middle and everybody(apart from you) is happy. The only reason I see for them is to save the need to keep the markings painted, as I in my own opinion would say the concentric rings seem to be a turd polishing exercise.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It’s really quite amazing how obstinate people can be.

They aren’t roundabout.  Everyone knows they aren’t roundabout.  The police have told us they aren’t roundabouts and not to treat them as roundabouts.  There isn’t a single bit of signage to suggest they are roundabouts.

Yet everyone over forty seems determined to keep treating them as roundabouts and approaches them far too quickly because they can’t comprehend doing something different to what they are used to.

It’s bizarre behaviour.  People can’t claim they don’t understand  because everyone knows they aren’t roundabout so why do so many stubborn people simply refuse to just slow down to 5-10 mph and go with the flow?  Why do the same people stop when someone else is coming from their right?  Very strange indeed.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Thanks 1

So let me get this straight, everybody approaches at 5-10mph and sails into the space and turns to whichever exit(without stopping or yielding) they wish regardless of other traffic or pedestrians and go on there merry way. Which would work apart from physics stating it is impossible as two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time as turning traffic has to if not passing to one side or the other of another vehicle. I know this is simplistic but being an idiot its how I think. 🤔

5 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

So let me get this straight, everybody approaches at 5-10mph and sails into the space and turns to whichever exit(without stopping or yielding) they wish regardless of other traffic or pedestrians and go on there merry way. Which would work apart from physics stating it is impossible as two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time as turning traffic has to if not passing to one side or the other of another vehicle. I know this is simplistic but being an idiot its how I think. 🤔

Nearly.  Pedestrians have right of way though.

Everyone else just slows down and turns their brain on. 

Hang on, aren’t we supposed to be talking about lights? 
I’m a suspicious kind of person when it comes to the council, I can’t help but feeling there must be a councilor with a mate that has a lighting company, sure seems like Douglas spend a disproportionate amount on lights and lighting. That said, the Christmas lights looked very pretty this year.

I wonder what "tourists" think when they come off the boat. Years ago, you could see all those lights as the boat was docking. Now? I don't think it looks that good, too dark (even with the Christmas lights, there was hardly any, anywhere, on the "city" promenade). Walking home from work every night, doesn't look very welcoming. Mind, I suppose they don't get to see all the weeds and overgrown grass along the sea side of it, so there is that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

You literally just explained why they were installed!!! That is exactly what they are designed to do 😂

They were installed because DOI ran out of money, and couldn’t afford to install round abouts. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I don't think so, they were installed to improve the flow of traffic, which they do when used correctly. 

Which is rarely possible, because there is usually an idiot treating them as a roundabout and coming to a complete halt to "give way" to someone.

In an ideal world we would have police down there strictly enforcing a 10mph limit, and tazering anyone who brings their vehicle to a stop.  

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

Hang on, aren’t we supposed to be talking about lights? 

....but are they 'lights' ? Surely what  DCorp  will install are bulbs or lamps that emit light ?

I'm sure Dave will let us know soon!!!

29 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Which is rarely possible, because there is usually an idiot treating them as a roundabout and coming to a complete halt to "give way" to someone.

In an ideal world we would have police down there strictly enforcing a 10mph limit, and tazering anyone who brings their vehicle to a stop.  

The thing that brings the traffic to a stop are the zebra crossings 

51 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I don't think so, they were installed to improve the flow of traffic, which they do when used correctly. 

They ran out of money. Same as the horse trams and a few other bits that have not been completed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The thing that brings the traffic to a stop are the zebra crossings 

No Zebra crossing at the bottom of Broadway, and there is nearly always some old duffer stopped there waiting for there to be no traffic coming from douglas direction