Reduced General Election Term Time to 3 Years.

Last Ten

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Reducing the amount of money Govt spends on itself would be the most acceptable thing and would greatly reduce any quoted needs for cuts in services which is the easy way out.

Hard decisions need to be made and are being ducked and excused. A growing £600M pa PS wage bill in conjunction with an annual £100M draw from reserves is unsustainable. An additional £40M to fill the pensions gap. How long do you think we can continue?

No less than one quarter of Govt tax revenue "not publicly" accounted for, for instance although it's not difficult to reason where it is being spent. But at least some of your colleagues are looking in the right direction.

Screenshot_20240222-145040_Facebook.jpg

What I'd also highlight is that we are heading into the second half of the term, when changes are harder with re-elections in mind & also with any 'transformations' there is inevitably some higher initial one off costs for MARS/whatever (unless you choose to rely on natural churn from retirements/leavers, but this just cripples Departments as they have no control) so it's not something you want to kick off with reserves dwindling.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

What yardstick should I use? Comparing our roads with UK motorways? I've read car reviews from European locations where the roads are billiard table smooth, but the locals still use rocks for money. There is not enough money in the whole economy to fix all our roads to that standard, so an element of realism is needed. Our roads are not as bad as we (and I include myself) sometimes think.

As to the 2026 election, comments like yours will only strengthen my resolve to stick around.

You should not be using any yardstick, you should be working hard to get them to a better standard for us all. To date your department has been embarrassingly inept in everything it touches. 
as for the 2026 elections, fingers crossed that your constituents find you woefully inadequate.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

You should not be using any yardstick, you should be working hard to get them to a better standard for us all. To date your department has been embarrassingly inept in everything it touches. 
as for the 2026 elections, fingers crossed that your constituents find you woefully inadequate.

Do you not think there has been an significant and noticeable improvement in DOI since the last election?

I do.

The standard of the work on the roads has improved.  Some of the latest surfaces put down are exceptionally high quality and attract praise from people who know the industry and what’s involved in laying a new road surface inside out.

The airport is improving.  These things don’t change over night and the people there now both at DOI and the airport inherited a shit show.

The amount of work getting completed on roads and pavements seems higher than I ever remember.

Do you disagree?  Its one thing to criticise, but to base those criticisms on performances from years ago is a bit stupid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

It is a three year term.

A year after election standing round and looking at each other.

Three years obfuscation

A year winding things down because there's an election coming up

This house is so incredibly poor they can’t even organize a vote of no confidence. Presumably as they have no confidence that any of them could run anything any better. They are literally hopeless. A General Election around now would be very beneficial. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Interested Reader said:

Why are you on this forum if you don’t want feedback from anonymous keyboard warriors? That seems to be the entire purpose of this forum. If you don’t like it don’t post.

Feedback, banter and debate I value. Abuse and trolling not so much. And I’ve been a member of this forum from the start, so don’t need advice from you on how to use it.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Screenshot and save this post as most unintended irony ever in the history of the internet- magnificent @Interested Reader I would suggest taking a few years off👊🏻

Don’t worry I won’t make a habit of it this forum is a horrible place full of some very horrible and disturbed posters. Even the MHKs who contribute seem to be fairly awful. No wonder it looks like only three people regularly post here.

2 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

Don’t worry I won’t make a habit of it this forum is a horrible place full of some very horrible and disturbed posters. Even the MHKs who contribute seem to be fairly awful. No wonder it looks like only three people regularly post here.

Here we go 😂

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Interested Reader said:

112 comments in three weeks sounds quite habitual to me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Interested Reader said:

They are literally hopeless. A General Election around now would be very beneficial. 

Lol, have you not seen the quality of candidate we get, In Middle they had the choice of a:

• An establishment lawyer
  • Some old woman commissioner no one had heard of.
  • A rapping hippy drip
  • A creepy weirdo with learning difficulties
  • and David Fowler.