News embargoes?

finlo

4 hours ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Finally some proper journalism. Gef the mongrel, take note

I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall at one of Digital Isle of Man's regular meetings with King Gaming. Assuming these took place?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, manxkinho said:

https://josimarfootball.com/2024/04/29/the-earthquake/

Looks like more content about the background too…..

It's very interesting isn't it.  What struck me was the evidence that King Gaming had so few visitors and so presumably punters and income.  Which leads not just to questions about where the money is coming from (with all its implications of money laundering) but also about what all those people up at Victoria Road do all day.

And how many of them are there?  In a neat coincidence, an answer to a Written Question from Julie Edge was published today.  Effectively it was asking for an update to some data that came out in an FoI last July and was worded: How many work visas have been issued since October 2021 by broken down by a) category of visa, b) nationality, c) salary, d) public or private sector and e) role within that sector.

There's a lot of information there, including the fact that the total number of such visas in the last two and a half years is 2,100 (there will also be dependents associated with many of these).  The vast majority are for the private sector (91% of employees) and 339 of them were Chinese citizens, the second most common.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's very interesting isn't it.  What struck me was the evidence that King Gaming had so few visitors and so presumably punters and income.  Which leads not just to questions about where the money is coming from (with all its implications of money laundering) but also about what all those people up at Victoria Road do all day.

And how many of them are there?  In a neat coincidence, an answer to a Written Question from Julie Edge was published today.  Effectively it was asking for an update to some data that came out in an FoI last July and was worded: How many work visas have been issued since October 2021 by broken down by a) category of visa, b) nationality, c) salary, d) public or private sector and e) role within that sector.

There's a lot of information there, including the fact that the total number of such visas in the last two and a half years is 2,100 (there will also be dependents associated with many of these).  The vast majority are for the private sector (91% of employees) and 339 of them were Chinese citizens, the second most common.  

The tool used to monitor the visitor metrics isnt particularly reliable in this instance, however.

Isn't King also a software provider to other platforms, not just their own?

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

The tool used to monitor the visitor metrics isnt particularly reliable in this instance, however.

Isn't King also a software provider to other platforms, not just their own?

Technically yes, but as far as I understand it, they don’t own the platform and the only company they supply is King, looks like that’s what the article is saying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I guess it’s enough to give an indication that their servers aren’t in much danger of overheating through excessive traffic though, right? 🤣

8 hours ago, code99 said:

Indeed, e.g.:

"...group operates almost exclusively in territories where it is unlicensed and where online gambling and sports betting are illegal, i.e. China and the Far East."  That is definitely a red flag (no pun intended) for the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission when they issue licences to (any) companies with customers based in the jurisdictions where gambling/ online gambling is illegal, IMHO.

The Isle of Man, just like Curacao, Anjouan and others, are grey market jurisdictions. As long as a lawyer says it’s legal to target a country from any of those jurisdictions it’s more or less ok. That grey market model is slowly dying out though which is why IOMG is looking to create a new egaming strategy at the moment. I can see where the industry is going. I hope they can too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, manxkinho said:

I do wonder if we’ll actually hear if and when charges are made, or if the press will ignore it as usual….what does everyone think?

The press seem pretty keen to report any and all charges of anyone and everyone, I wouldn't stress.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, manxkinho said:

I do wonder if we’ll actually hear if and when charges are made, or if the press will ignore it as usual….what does everyone think?

It will be reported everywhere.

Are you thinking that’s going to happen in the next few weeks or that it is already being covered up?

Edited by Anthony Ingham
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I suppose I live an isolated life. I was surprised to see that it is commonplace for football clubs to have "Official Betting Partners".

I have also an official betting partner but it’s really a one way relationship in all honesty….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1