Kung fu referee?

On 5/2/2024 at 5:42 AM, Anthony Ingham said:

82| St Georges Substitute Tristan Ringham sees red for refusing to stand inside the technical area.

There's a technical area? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

For completeness, here's the relevant bit from the Upfront Footy tweet that contains a full match report (to this point) as well:

image.png.488d8d397d84c38bebc41e2cbe6cae2e.png

It's not clear why the referee didn't resume the game once he had been deterred from hitting anyone.

I imagine his impartiality might have been called into question. 

Anyway before that happened. 

The ref awarded a penalty, because an opposition player picked up the ball after hearing a whistle on the next pitch. That put St G's 2 goals up at half time. Corinthians pulled one back and were pressing for an equalizer. 

You'd be livid if you were one of the other teams fighting relegation. Geordies win a game because the ref awards a bizarre penalty, sends a substitute off for a minor thing then abandons the game because he's too busy attacking a player. 

Is there no video footage - this would be a smash on youtube?

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Declan said:

The ref awarded a penalty, because an opposition player picked up the ball after hearing a whistle on the next pitch. That put St G's 2 goals up at half time. Corinthians pulled one back and were pressing for an equalizer. 

You'd be livid if you were one of the other teams fighting relegation. Geordies win a game because the ref awards a bizarre penalty, sends a substitute off for a minor thing then abandons the game because he's too busy attacking a player. 

Corinthians do have 1 of those Veo cameras that tracks the ball. Wonder if it tracks the referee running 50 yards off the pitch?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

That was harsh punishing a player because he mistakenly picked the ball up…all in the name of sport 🤨 .   That referee should be dumped definitely.

I’d say there was more to it than just that. Maybe the player and the ref have history over the seasons. Or even in this game. 

8 hours ago, Declan said:

To my eternal shame I did this about 25 years ago when I played in uk. Ref gave a penalty, don’t see how he couldn’t to be fair. One of the bigger guys on our team had a quiet word in the penalty takers ear though and he just passed it back to our keeper in a great display of sportsmanship.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I’d say there was more to it than just that. Maybe the player and the ref have history over the seasons. Or even in this game. 

The guy picked up the ball in the area while the game was still on going. Its a penalty

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

The guy picked up the ball in the area while the game was still on going. Its a penalty

That report seems to suggest that incident was earlier on and unrelated to the fighting. The issue involved the technical area.

49 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I'm still waiting for some one, who possessing greater sporting knowledge can say what the technical area is.  Oh and some guidance on the off side rule would be appreciated.  😁  

It's the area on the side of the pitch where the manager stands. And I suppose where the subs and whoever has the magic sponge stands. I'm surprised they even need one.

Offside is where an attacking player gets an advantage over the defenders by being nearer to the goal than them.

15 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

The issue wasn't the penalty (which was in St George's favour) but with a St. G's substitute standing at the side of the pitch.

10 hours ago, manxchester said:

To my eternal shame I did this about 25 years ago when I played in uk. Ref gave a penalty, don’t see how he couldn’t to be fair. One of the bigger guys on our team had a quiet word in the penalty takers ear though and he just passed it back to our keeper in a great display of sportsmanship.

I'm surprised that didn't happen here. But some teams on the Island are a bit full of themselves.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Declan said:

It's the area on the side of the pitch where the manager stands. And I suppose where the subs and whoever has the magic sponge stands. I'm surprised they even need one.

Offside is where an attacking player gets an advantage over the defenders by being nearer to the goal than them.

The issue wasn't the penalty (which was in St George's favour) but with a St. G's substitute standing at the side of the pitch.

I'm surprised that didn't happen here. But some teams on the Island are a bit full of themselves.

The technical area now is a designated area , one for both teams, and only named people can officially be in there. Manager, assistant , anyone that looks after injuries and of course substitutes . Supporters are just recently now not allowed in this area . If the report is correct if the guy picked the ball up regardless of his arguments regarding another whistle etc it as Thommo says a penalty. Not sure anything that’s been said warrants the refs response though . Players in this situation normally get a very long ban so will be interesting what the ref gets. They will liaising with the English FA on this one I’m sure. 

Edited by Numbnuts

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

The technical area now is a designated area , one for both teams, and only named people can officially be in there. Manager, assistant , anyone that looks after injuries and of course substitutes . Supporters are just recently now not allowed in this area . If the report is correct if the guy picked the ball up regardless of his arguments regarding another whistle etc it as Thommo says a penalty. Not sure anything that’s been said warrants the refs response though . Players in this situation normally get a very long ban so will be interesting what the ref gets. They will liaising with the English FA on this one I’m sure. 

The penalty is red herring, I just mentioned it as another bizarre event during the match. In an ideal world the ref would have been allowed to use common sense an begin with a drop ball, or suggest the taker just passes it back to the goalie. But rules is rules and there's no room for common sense.

Having a designated area at games at this level is ridiculous. Wenger's crazy rules committee will be behind it I bet. All it does is give refs one more thing fuss about.

• Like 1