7 Wonders Of Mann

Lonan3

Agreeing with everyone (which doesn't mean I am hoping to be returned in the next election) but here are mine, in no particular order:-

1. The seals off Peel Castle.

2. The Marine Drive in whatever weather. No matter which way you look there is something fantastic to see. Sometimes it's the clear weather down by the airport, other times it's the little boats chugging around the coastline, sometimes its a pair of kestrels hunting! Wonderful! You are high enough there to see so much, it is a wonder!

3. The stonework made by a man living on **** beach. He probably won't thank me for this, but it really is a marvel! We were a bit nervy, after falling across his beautiful work by accident and feeling as though we had intruded, (it was clear someone was living there), when he came down and chatted to us. A very gentle person. We apologised, but he dismissed it! Then he jumped into a tiny rowing boat (which he pushed down a pathway through the rocks which he said he worked all winter to maintain) and said how much he liked to be just buffeted by the waves. We watched him just chill into the sea for an hour or more back up on the road. That was very special.

4. Springtime in the IOM. Nowhere else in the Bitish Isles, I am sure, can have the profusion of beautiful springtime flowers in the hedgerows. Its a free extravaganza!

5. The Plains of Heaven, only to rival Rhumsaa's Plains of the North!

6. The Laxey Wheel; yes, a great engineering achievement, but I still wonder at the conditions that the poor sods went down there in, having walked around Snaefell for a day's work!

7. The Tower of Refuge, for the very reasons the Laxey Wheel is number 6 in my list!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. The Chasms, the power of nature at its best and most spectacular

2. The Calf Sound, powerful, windswept and full of wildlife

3. Niarbyl, what better place to sit on a summer evening and watch the sunset

4. The summit of Snaefell, on a clear day you can see for miles

5. The Ayres, where you can walk beside the sea for miles and not see another soul

6. Ballaglass Glen, what the power of water can do

7. The Plains of Heaven, the majestic view from the top of Mount Murray

easy............I could name a dozen more, what a beautiful island we are privileged to live on.

Spot on! That's why I love being here!

But of course the conspiracy theorists know better!

the plains of heaven was viewed from the Braid, not Mount Murray:-

http://www.manxscenes.com/2005/Dec/8.htm

I don't see any golfers on this:-

http://www.lux-aeterna.co.nz/images/T01928...20plainsofH.jpg

;-)

Let me lighten your darkness, the Braaid is the name given to a small group of houses at the crossroads and also the name given to the Celtic/Viking roundhouses on the hillside. The hill itself is known as The Mount or Mount Murray, the housing and hotel and golf course known as Mount Murray are in fact on the same hill but on the other side. The photographers description is inaccurate, the view I refer to is from Mount Murray not the Braaid.

Re: The "Braaid circle"

On the northern extremity of the hill of Mount Murray, stands one of the most perfect specimens of Druidical remains to be met with in the Island The stones which form the circle are not large, but they are placed perpendicularly, at regular distances, and seem to occupy the places in which they were originally fixed, forming a circle of forty feet in diameter. A stream of water ran on each side of the temple, issuing from two fountains farther up the hill, which were held sacred by the Druids. To the east of the enclosure are two walls or mounds, constructed of stones and earth, bending round the temple, forming a semicircle, about fifteen feet distant from each other. The name of this vale indicates that the oak once surrounded this temple,-Glen Darragh, in Manks, signifying the 'Vale of Oaks.'

Please see the map.

51051814-M.gif

Why do you quote a source that suggests that those roundhouse and longhouses are a druids temple and stone circle? (Please identify your sources with a name and a reference as well) Hardly a reliable resource! I have always known these buildings as being at the Braaid, even the museum refers to them as being at the Braaid. however you are correct that they are on the lower slopes of what is called Mount Murray But the actual point from which Martin actually viewed the 'plains of heaven' is unclear, but from what was suggested, it was certainly not from the "top of mount murray", rather being somewhere along the road which runs from the cooil to the Braaid. Furthermore there is no one location on your map that is identified as Mount Murray anyway.

The thread originally sought members opinions as to what would constitute the 7 Wonders of Mann and mine were:

5. The Ayres, where you can walk beside the sea for miles and not see another soul

You disagreed with me and said the Plains of Heaven were viewed from the Braaid not Mount Murray and produced somebodys photopgraph which does in fact look as if it has been taken from the road and not from either the circle or the hamlet known as the Braaid . How you know where I take the view from is a mystery to me because you were not with me either the last time I took in the view or indeed anytime that I have done so. Although I have occasionally taken the view from the Braaid Circle when I have visited it, I do in fact normally take in the view from the Cooil to Braaid road which goes over Mount Murray, the ideal vieweing area is from the highest point of the road - obviously. As the title Plains of Heaven merely refers to the view and the view can be taken from several other points along the valley, e.g. Lhergy Cripperty, Slieau Chairn, Eairy Kelly etc. does it really matter where your friend took his picture from?

The source I quoted can be found here

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fu...tr1844/ch14.htm

The reason I quoted the source was to indicate that the area and my chosen view was in fact on the slopes of Mount Murray which you appeared to disparage. I googled it and found it, I can't say whether that is a relaible resource or otherwise but is a resource none the less. I have no interest in the opinion of Archaelogists as to what the Braaid Circle was or who built it and no wish to enter into debate about it.

The ordnance survey map indicates the said area as "The Mount", it is also known locally as Mount Murray and was named after Governor Murray who had his family mansion on the site of the present housing and hotel development. When a mountain is named after a person it then becomes known as Mount xxxxx e.g. Mount Everest (in honour of Sir Georges Everest (1790-1866))

Does this help?

easy............I could name a dozen more, what a beautiful island we are privileged to live on.

So many other places too. We may be a bit short on man made wonders but we got more than our share of natural ones.

Archived