Firm closing

finlo

10 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

So, Manx Forums is furiously editing any discussion about Shoprite/Robinsons and it transpires that at least one of the moderating team seems to be harbouring a serious grudge against them. Interesting. 

That's a bit of exaggeration...I've seen first hand some of the shit they import. That is all.

ETA: What proportion of what they sell do you consider is Manx?

As for editing...not happening. Just keeping the discussions in existing threads. Try and keep up 007.

• Like 1

As to local producers, Tesco bread flour was the go to for home bakers, they no longer stock it prefering to stock the more expensive Laxey bread flour, IMHO i reckon the Mill's wholesale price to Tesco is so low, it outstrips the profit from their own product, such is business 🙄, many home breadbakers now use M&S, flour, good quality and more affordable, it flies of the shelf, best to grab it if there is any left.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I think you’re clutching at straws here, it’s a disaster not the greatest opportunity as you originally posted .

also for others like starvey farms, Andreas meats, Bushys & Manx honey etc etc

And you know this for a fact because? Shouldn't you just wait and see what happens?

18 minutes ago, mollag said:

As to local producers, Tesco bread flour was the go to for home bakers, they no longer stock it prefering to stock the more expensive Laxey bread flour, IMHO i reckon the Mill's wholesale price to Tesco is so low, it outstrips the profit from their own product, such is business 🙄, many home breadbakers now use M&S, flour, good quality and more affordable, it flies of the shelf, best to grab it if there is any left.

I used to do a lot of home baking...Tesco stocked Laxey flour at twice the price of other flour.  Buy local...my arse.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NoTailT said:

For those saying 10 stores is too many, it is, but I can speak for an area where I have family in the NW of England.

In an area of I’d say 3 square miles they have two full size Tescos and three Tesco Express stores.

The population is probably much denser - mentally too - but it’s not unheard of.

I can see both Ramsey stores surviving. Port Erin, Castletown, Douglas Vic Road OR Onchan (not both) and maybe one in Peel.

why two stores in Ramsey, they are probably less than a mile apart.

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

Maybe. Personally speaking I’ve been in the Victoria Road store and at times it’s dead. I’ve been in Onchan, and most of time there is one cash till operator on the check out. Again it was dead, and not a great deal on the shelves. 

Perhaps if IOMG and others start interfering to much, maybe Tesco will say stuff this  and pull out. Then Shoprite will no doubt go cap in hand to IOMG. 

Another delicious thought would be if the Victoria Road site was flattened, it would make a nice site for much needed social housing - I wonder who would object?

Onchan store always had well stocked shelves - you're making things up