Where Is,..?

Gavsta

I think that there's only one way to resolve this. Amadeus will have to go out there, let his hadndbrake off and take photographs to prove where the correct hill is located.

Don't forget to get out of the car and take pictures of it rolling up the hill by itself! ;)

Stav.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heading from Port Erin up the Sloc to the round table X-Roads and turn right....follow that road for about a mile past the plantations on the left hand side and the view will open up in to fields...that stretch of road is where it is....

Looks like there are two places then as the one I showed definitely has the effect too. I guess what I've always thought was Magnetic Hill just... isn't.

Does that mean I get to name the other one? :)

I think that there's only one way to resolve this. Amadeus will have to go out there, let his hadndbrake off and take photographs to prove where the correct hill is located.

Don't forget to get out of the car and take pictures of it rolling up the hill by itself! ;)

Stav.

Veeeery funny... :rolleyes:

I actually went there a while back, when I still had my big, old and heavy Merc - the effect was enough to totally amaze my troops visitors from Germany at the time - but then, we're usually easy to impress...

Might make a trip up there at the weekend, but the little Rover is still sick, and without oil in the gearbox it's usually hard to get anywhere....

This is from the Isle of Man Government's Attractions Factsheet: http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/tourism/trade/m...nsfactsheet.pdf

MAGNETIC HILL

Turn your car engine off and marvel as a magic

stone pulls the vehicle uphill.Magnetic Hill is

located on the A27 between Ronague and the

Round Table crossroads.The slope is marked by

a white stone on the roadside verge that is said

to be part of a stone circle broken up a hundred

years ago by a coven of witches.

Stav.

It is between Ballabeg and Round Table. It says some on googling but there isn't a map. So down from round Table Cross Roads to Ballabeg really.

I seem to recall that there is an old white stone in the hedge as a marker when you get there.

• 1 year later...

Right on the arrow I think.

Me thinks it's a bit further down than that, on the other side of the Round Table anyway.

Try this one and zoom in.

Magnetic Hilly thing

yeah thats it , we went and found it last easter. best if you come from the south, and do it, weird how far the car travelled.

best way i can descibe the place is. comming from the roundtable crossroads, go down past the woods out on the open till you come to the bottom of the hill, think there is just a big stone on the right hand side.

Sausages, I don't think your picture is right. At least it's not of the one that's one the road from the Round Table down in to Colby, as I think that one has loads of pebbles on the ground near the big stone.

Unless your one is the one on the Sloc, which to be honest I never even heard about.

There is the official magnetic hill which is below the round table and runs just past the Cringle plantation, it is marked with an engraved stone set back in the hedgerow. I have never managed to get a car to roll up the hill at this one so I think it is a mistake

The section marked by ans which is about half a mile above the Ballacallin pub works spookily well but only if you are going south. I have freaked out plenty of people on the 300 meter approach to the hairpin

The one at the Sloc I have yet to find

Never heard of it at Sloc, that's new to me. The one I know of is indeed down from the round table past Cringle plantation. Basically when you get past the plantation you carry on a few hundred yards past I think 2 left hand bends, then on the right side of the road is a bit white rock.

It looks quite like the one in Mr Saus's picture but I'm not sure that's actually the same spot as I thought the rock was bigger and the hedge less grown than that. Thought the rock was closer to the road too. While since I looked though.

As far as I'm aware there's nothing genuinely magnetic though, I thought it's just an optical illusion that somehow makes it appear that your car is rolling uphill. Don't quote me on that though.

post-125-1197929594_thumb.jpg

Archived