Manx Arms English Pub

partypolitics

there is an old (?pre 1830) pub in Warrington called Manx Arms - hidden away behind church st.

I remember e Manx Arms opposite the St George's Hall at top of Lime st Liverpool but it must have been demolished a few years ago.

Imagine my suprise when i go and visit my pal in Mosside,Manchester and in the middle of the tower blocks there is a dinky little social club called "The Manx Arms".

We tried to go in for a beer but the 2 gorillas on the door said that there was a meeting going on and its not a clever idea to walk in on them types of meetings, so i just took a photo of the sign and we left.

Must try and find the pic and post it.

there is an old (?pre 1830) pub in Warrington called Manx Arms - hidden away behind church st.

I remember e Manx Arms opposite the St George's Hall at top of Lime st Liverpool but it must have been demolished a few years ago.

wasn't that called the legs of mann??

Re Liverpool yes on 2nd thought you may be right - did it become part of the theatre ? - I recall it somewhere close to the theatre

I'm now not 100% re Warrington that too may be the legs of Man - it is some 45 years since I used to use that street on my way back from town

There's also a Manx pub, called the Manx Pub, in Ottawa.

I don't know if anyone's been killed in or outside this pub, but I have found out that this manx pub is situated on one Elgin street, named after one Lord Elgin who was the son of the 7th Earl of Elgin who, in some people's eyes, embodies the spirit of British English imperial rapacity!

Yes... Manx, and a British plunderer of indiginous culture. Ahhh! Think about it.

I believe that this is the clearest sign yet that we must all start dancing around in itchy skirts, sing dreadful off-key folk melodies, and hurl kippers at any plane that attempts to land at Ronaldsway - and that we should do so until the cultural aggressors from Britain The Adjacent Island are driven off once and for all! For the sake of our children!

There's a famous, yet dreadful, Polish band called 'Varius Manx'. No idea if there name relates to us lot in any way.

http://www.variusmanx.pl/

I've seen this bands name about now and then but have no idea how they came across it.

Kingsbury Manx

I googled a little but still came up with nothing.

http://www.halo-17.net/6705.html

Also I bet this quote would get a few folks on here backs up ;)

I would expect a band called Kingsbury Manx to consist of clean-cut young men from some pastoral region of Britain, playing quiet soft rock that your parents wouldn't have any objections to.

Supposedly it was based on a story some of the band members were told in scouts....can't find any evidence for that story but i remember reading it somewhere. Their music is quality, kind of camera obscura, pas/cal, beta band esque. Best described as "quiet and floaty" by a friend of mine.

Some MP3's here

http://www.thekingsburymanx.com/etc.html

Archived