Prostitutes

Addie

Are we to assume now that there are two murderers? (since every person arrested by the police seems to be 'the one' according to the media!!)

Continuing on from what I said yesturday... IF this [first] guy turns out to be innocent afterall... the media (especially BBC1 news) have really screwed up his life!! They made him out to be the killer for sure! Now what?!..

:rolleyes:

The media will focus on somebody else and the people will forget about him in no time

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not in Ipswich they won't.

No one knows if he is innocent or guilty at the moment. However, we do know he was attention seeking prior to being arrested.

He gave interviews to the Daily Mirror and the BBC amongst others. Very strange behaviour and he has probably got his just deserts.

In a way society (ie us, the majority) made these kids so vulnerable. If we were more forward looking and pragmatic like our EEC neighbours then this would be a rare event. But abuse against female sex workers in the UK is apparently commonplace. From my own experiences the risks they take in the UK are completely unneccessary. It's a shamefull situation that only tragedy brings to the fore. Anyone who talks in terms like "shagging whores" is a complete idiot who clearly cannot see the person behind the social stigma and presumably treats them likewise as a lower form of life unworthy of the usual social norms. Just how blind and ignorant can some people be.....

Just musing on your post Lonan3 :(

Not sure if the following may be of any interest to you, but this is extracted fyi

“Legalization: The Australian Experience,” by Mary Lucille Sullivan and Sheila Jeffreys, from the academic journal Violence Against Women Vol 8 no 9 September 2002

For feminists, one of the most persuasive arguments underpinning legalization was that once prostitution ceased to be a criminal offence, prostituted women would be able to choose their own working conditions and their clients and, if working for an employer, would have industry health and safety standards in place. The experience of Victoria dispels the claim that legalization empowers women ......

Legalization was also intended to eliminate organized crime from the sex industry. In fact, the reverse has happened. Convicted criminals, fronted by more reputable people, remain in the business........

Trafficking of girls and women into prostitution in Victoria also appears to have exploded.Within a year of the passing of the Prostitution Control Act, it was revealed that Victorian sex industrialists were involved in the lucrative international sex trade run by crime syndicates, which is worth $A30 million in Australia (Robinson, 1995).........

There is heaps more similar material online, and I don't know if some later research is now being funded on this or not? Possibly changing the laws back again may bring more new problems I know - but in the meantime I just wished to highlight some of the difficulties where sex = money as best able from my POV :(

To those who favor legalization, what are examples of successful legalization running in ANY country I wonder???? And before I get too many questions I certainly cannot answer &/or even wish to ask them either let alone speak sometimes - so I guess this is a rhetorical question for me now though :blink:

Where I am overseas - sadly it is the underage youngsters who appear to be most vulnerable now imho - and sorry I can't even begin to describe some of their realities at the moment :(

One other thing here too is that more folks like teetotallers are now also having their drinks spiked with drugs - which is another difficulty which rarely makes the papers or international media it seems sometimes etc Summertimes and Christmas festive season may be part of the issue here perhaps currently, but more cases are coming to light it seems imho :(

This type of crime sadly now just aids the slippery slope and worse imho!! The new assaulted victims are having their lives devastated &/or seem to have no confidence in finding their attackers for lots of different crime or victim related reasons. This method of assault then also leads to the horror where every friend and stranger becomes part of the grief and fear!!

Tonight, I can only keep the hopes that they will become stronger within themselves and one day find their voice to speak up too! One thing tho that I have noted is that some of these victims are now instead undertaking more private laboratory tests for their own peace of mind ie unfortunately some police appeals for help are not being heeded!! I guess I am just gutting a bit here now as with the Ipswich murders happening in the UK, at the same time as the awful stuff here - well it has just been adding to the trauma of some vulnerable people I know here sadly :(

Tis really hard to get my heart or head around this terrible problem - but one of the things which has been voiced by some of the child victims I know - is that its now as blunt as the fact that some sorts simply want to keep their money in their pockets!!! And hey whats the problem some sorts say to these kids - as yep when they turn 16years then they can get themselves a job doing it etc etc

I guess this is why I still see legalising brothels or decriminalising prostitution simply feeds into the degradation of ALL society - and although at the moment it may be some only women, children, and vulnerable men who may see this face first - it does have flow on effects to the rest of their communities sadly imho :(

In a way society (ie us, the majority) made these kids so vulnerable. If we were more forward looking and pragmatic like our EEC neighbours then this would be a rare event. But abuse against female sex workers in the UK is apparently commonplace. From my own experiences the risks they take in the UK are completely unneccessary. It's a shamefull situation that only tragedy brings to the fore. Anyone who talks in terms like "shagging whores" is a complete idiot who clearly cannot see the person behind the social stigma and presumably treats them likewise as a lower form of life unworthy of the usual social norms. Just how blind and ignorant can some people be.....

Yeah, your right. I'm advocating the liberalisation of the sex trade in this and other threads as a cover, I'm really a women hating luddite prude who plays with train sets all day and still lives with his mum. You're too smart for me PK, I'd better give up now!

But seriously, anyone who dresses up such acts with terms that sound a little sweeter is more guilty of creating those social stigmas you're talking about. Shagging whores is whats happening, here and the quicker people just accept that fact, and move on as if it's normal then the activity can be regulated and the women and the punters protected.

Well done on catching up on the thread though, your last post is less out of place than the 'rate my tart' stuff!

Nessa; I gather trafficing is now a huge problem in Amsterdam too. They've apparently had to shut a large portion of the Red Light District there because of illegal immigrants. You have to wonder if there would be a market for illegally imported women if the laws in more countries were liberalised. They're only being brought in to places like Amsterdam because there's a high demand, if there were more red light districts in the UK, the trade in amsterdam might be lessened.

hhhmmm Slim - I guess I gotta say that from my POV I do not see that having more regulated local red light districts would ease the difficulties with illegally imported women &/or their disappearances etc

I guess I still see the industry as being mostly about MONEY and not shagging etc To my mind tho sadly it then becomes a bit of a dark world between the Haves and the Have nots I suppose - and guess these days I don't know that I have ever met a person who would not wish to have more money in their pockets etc

Mind you I am also likely taking it for granted that it is a period of time for the women with a finite span perhaps? Also the many of the youngsters being targeted here or any new talent imports is due to either this fact & or perhaps the buyers not being content with the same old same old perhaps??

This is possibly where I see the victims of associated violence rising where I am - and of course meeting these youngsters who seem to have been harmed by the liberalisation of prostitution doesn't help ie my sense of powerlessness and vulnerability trying to keep my daughter safe perhaps?? Sometimes its almost impossible to get my head around these days sorry :(

hhhmmm Slim - I guess I gotta say that from my POV I do not see that having more regulated local red light districts would ease the difficulties with illegally imported women &/or their disappearances etc

I take the view that it's going to happen anyway. That seems to be the view of the authorities now, which is why you have tolerated areas and the like. But this half way approach puts the working girls at risk, as the law pretty much forces them to work alone.

This is possibly where I see the victims of associated violence rising where I am - and of course meeting these youngsters who seem to have been harmed by the liberalisation of prostitution doesn't help ie my sense of powerlessness and vulnerability trying to keep my daughter safe perhaps?? Sometimes its almost impossible to get my head around these days sorry :(

I know what your saying, and the thought of ones daughter walking the streets is terrifying. I don't think there's any single solution, I just think that we have to do more to protect these women, and forcing them to work alone isn't it.

As usual with a controversial subject, interesting thread.............................

There are a smidge over 100 registered heroin addicts on the Isle of Man. (Don't argue please, it's a fact).

This being the case, where are the classic "smack head burglaries" to fund this habit ?. Domestic burglary is very rare on the Island.

Second port of call for your average heroin addict (male or female) short of a few quid is usually prostitution.

Now I will stick my neck out. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been an active hooker on the Island in my adulthood (I'm 34). Why is this ?. It is the oldest profession in the world, occurs everywhere except on the Isle of Man.

My question is two-fold.

1. How do the heroin addicts fund the habit ?.

2. Why are there no prostitutes ?.

As an aside, in my opinion a small minority of prostitutes work because they enjoy it. (Has anyone considered that ?.) The majority do it because it is easier than working at a 9-5, but dislike it. The remainder claim the "evil pimp, drugs, can't get out" routine. In the same way that battered wives (and husbands) won't leave their partners, this group just find it easier to have their lives controlled. If they wanted out, they would get out.

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been an active hooker on the Island in my adulthood

Your knowledge is flawed. Just because you don't see them tottering around on street corners, doesn't mean they don't exist. They're just a bit more discreet over here.

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been an active hooker on the Island in my adulthood

Your knowledge is flawed. Just because you don't see them tottering around on street corners, doesn't mean they don't exist. They're just a bit more discreet over here.

:ph34r: yup, we sure are ;)

:ph34r: yup, we sure are ;)

given the narrow mindedness of some indiviuals i think they would be stoned in streets....

Archived