[BBC News] Gold medallist supports velodrome

Newsbot

re cycle tracks - I used to visit the Nederlands quite a lot - all roads had separate cycle tracks often the same bit of asphalt as the pedestrians but demarcated by a white line - I havn't been to another country with greater cycle use except possibly Denmark where too there were many special cycle tracks on the Dutch model. Manx roads are not ideal for combined car/cycle use as all too often there is little room to overtake a cyclist who is often some 30mph slower than the rest of the traffic (+ those idiots who insist on cycling side by side )

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The site WAS a velodrome. You can't think of a more suitable venue on that basis.

That's true, but only has any relevance if it were already decided to build a velodrome and the question was one of where to site it. Instead, we could just demolish it and build a ninja academy, cheese museum, or try to dig to the centre of the Earth, all of which are fine alternatives to dedicating the site to its original purpose.

There's a mustard museum in Wisconsin, demonstrating the viability of food and condiment themed museums.

They also have the world's biggest penny - Wisconsin is awsome and we'd do well to throw our bikes in a ditch in favour of following their lead.

Ok so lets sum up the possible income to add into the onchan residents rates....

300 paying entrants to a stockcar meeting, paying participants for go-karting, football match fee's

or..

10 cyclists paying to use a velodrome

I know what my money's on.

Questions....

Can't the cyclists just ride round the angled bit that's there now?

What's changed track-wise since it's original use as a velodrome?

What revenue would it generate for the Onchan rate payer?

Why was it stopped being used in the first place? I can answer this, due to lack of interest.

OK let's get this straight now, the only sport which uses the Nivison stadium which will not be able to carry on using the stadium if it is converted into a cycletrack is Stock Car Racing. You obviously haven't actually heard what has been had to say about the future of stadium & the proposal for a velodrome facility there if you are making comments like this.

I share the view the facility should be used 'more', specifically for things like sports and leisure. Whether that sport for cycling or a variety of other sports is down to personal opinion. I have seen the proposal and the various points they put across, but it really is still open to opinion. I believe the banked track can only really be used in good weather (not wet) and you need a certain level of skill to ride the banked track - so not joe public. Asides from the focus on cycling, the other stuff (walk n' talk, cycling proficiency etc) is nothing new and can be done as it is now (Car parks and quiet roads). I don't believe the stock cars are making the full use of the facility, likewise, I don't believe cycling will be either. The alleged investment coupled with the 21-year lease is what worries me - the apparent exclusivity means it could potentially be a venue used a couple of days a week with a handful of people riding round in ovals.

It's a tough one really. I can see both sides of the argument. I've played football there for the last 6 or so years, and watched games far before that - and this never seemed to be a problem with the Stock Car guys. On the otherhand, the stadium hasn't really been developed in those years either. I hope it doesn't affect the pitch and the level of access - so I'm sitting on the fence really. I do believe a neutral sports facility would be better (although this is apparently addressed by the Onchan High School).

We could have a section for different types of mustard, including that really weak one that you get on hot dog vans.

Maybe one side of the arena for cheese, the other for mustard and a cheesenmustard bit in the middle.

I'm pleased to see the cheese and mustard museum idea gathering momentum. Perhaps a gesture could be made to please the bicycle club in the form of hosting a twice a day parade of cyclists carrying examples of mustard throughout the ages, educating and making full use of the PURPOSE BUILT AND FULLY OPERATIONAL VELODROME. Also, I'd like to see part of the track given over to the history and applications of pepper.

Is it too late to submit business plans?

We could have a section for different types of mustard, including that really weak one that you get on hot dog vans.

Maybe one side of the arena for cheese, the other for mustard and a cheesenmustard bit in the middle.

You got my vote! (as long as your plan includes this and this variety - sweet bavarian mustard and white sausages, or real Frankfurters and Loewensenf Extra Hot - a true taste of heaven..)

Archived