[BBC News] Gold medallist supports velodrome

Newsbot

In a 50 mph zone 50mph is - surprise - a speed limit, not a mandatory speed at which to drive.

There's also another term, called "reasonable progress" - driving too fast is as bad as driving too slow, no matter if you happen to travel on two or four wheels.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's also another term, called "reasonable progress" - driving too fast is as bad as driving too slow, no matter if you happen to travel on two or four wheels.

I'm assuming your quantative adverbs are the wrong way round in this post? Nevertheless, to use Juan Kerr's example, I think any representatives of the law would deem 35 or 40mph in a 50mph limit to be "reasonable progress", regardless of the number of wheels.

I'm assuming your quantative adverbs are the wrong way round in this post? Nevertheless, to use Juan Kerr's example, I think any representatives of the law would deem 35 or 40mph in a 50mph limit to be "reasonable progress", regardless of the number of wheels.

A little bit of Googling reveals that Mr Cadden was doing about 20mph and the road was a 60mph limit.

Sound like reasonable progress to you?

about 20mph and the road was a 60mph limit.

Yes, I think so. If I was following him in a car I might be a little irritated by the slower speed, but as long as it wasn't for too long I like to think I'd have the patience to not lose too much sleep over it.

A little bit of Googling reveals that Mr Cadden was doing about 20mph and the road was a 60mph limit.

I'm with Ans.

The justifiaction Keyboarder uses is the same used by the old gimmer that does 45mph down the middle lane of the M6 in his Austin Maestro. He can.

Well you might be able to do things but that does not mean that they are either sensible, courtious to other road users, or indeed that they are not inherently dangerous. A 60mph limit is not mandatory - but means that if the conditions are right and the road is clear its safe to do 60mph. You have to make reasonable progress otherwise you are a potential obstruction.

In those conditions, a slower moving vehicle / bike / horse / tractor represent a danger particularly on the IOM where roads are windy etc.

There isn't a cheese AND mustard museum (of any description) though.

We've already got the biggest working water wheel in the universe, and the world's oldest continuous parliament to be symbolised by a grassy stepped hill ... I say we go with this wacky tourist attraction theme and dedicate our entire tourism and culture budget to expanding our collection of world's biggest/smallest/most viscous things ever.

After we establish the cheese and mustard museum on the site of the old velodrome, I say we:

1. Build the world's tallest column on what's now Jurby, and stick the world's least entertaining hall of mirrors on top of it.

2. Use threats and cash incentives to cajole the inhabitants of St. John's to act out scenes from 'Allo 'Allo in what will come to be known as the world's most pointless and baffling tribute to a minor 80's sitcom.

3. Knock down Laxey and replace it with a perfect scale model of Peel constructed from the lowest grade quartz that's available in the world at the time.

4. Blast away one face of Snaefel until all that remains is a sheer vertical surface and build a climbing wall on it.

Each suggestion is near guarranteed to attract a million tourists every year.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on topic.....

http://www.manxradio.com/readItem.aspx?ID=...mp;cate=General

Commissioners say 'no' to velodrome

The Isle of Man Cycling Association says it's extremely disappointed by Onchan Commissioners' rejection of plans for a velodrome at the Nivison Stadium.

Instead, members have granted a seven year lease to Onchan Raceway and it will remain a venue for go-karting and stock car racing.

According to the association, the decision is surprising, given its plans to invest £500,000 in the facility.

In a strongly worded statement, it accused the commissioners of 'snubbing health based activities', and spokesman Steve Shimmin, says the reaction could have been even stronger:

=====================================================

Apparantly Onchan Commissioners should have let the cyclists have it as it is healthy unlike motorsport. :whatever: Whatever.

Glad that the Stockcars have got it. :thumbsup:

Back on topic.....

http://www.manxradio.com/readItem.aspx?ID=...mp;cate=General

The Isle of Man Cycling Association says it's extremely disappointed by Onchan Commissioners' rejection of plans for a velodrome at the Nivison Stadium.

Instead, members have granted a seven year lease to Onchan Raceway and it will remain a venue for go-karting and stock car racing.

According to the association, the decision is surprising, given its plans to invest £500,000 in the facility.

In a strongly worded statement, it accused the commissioners of 'snubbing health based activities', and spokesman Steve Shimmin, says the reaction could have been even stronger:

=====================================================

Apparantly Onchan Commissioners should have let the cyclists have it as it is healthy unlike motorsport. :whatever: Whatever.

Glad that the Stockcars have got it. :thumbsup:

Rather than just reading the Manx Radio interpretation of the statement, perhaps you should read it for yourself before making comments like that....

No Track for Manx Cycling

Manx cycling were shocked to learn that their bid was unsuccessful to secure the much needed Onchan track facility. Instead Onchan Raceway will continue to run stock car events in the Nivison Stadium. .

Press release from the Isle of Man Cycling Association dated January 11 2007

"Onchan Commissioners have informed us that we have been unsuccessful in our bid to secure the future of Onchan Stadium as a venue for cycling based activities.

We are extremely disappointed with this decision, however congratulate the successful applicant; their proposal must have been very strong to convince the Commissioners that the future of the Stadium was best secured as a venue for Stock Car Racing. We are sure there must be many new initiatives contained within their proposal that will invigorate the Stadium complex and prove beneficial to the wider community.

Over the past two years we have worked extremely hard with a number of partners such as the Isle of Man Sports Council, Manx Sport & Recreation and British Cycling. Many hours were spent formulating our proposals which were forward thinking and ambitious.

We believe that Onchan Commissioners have missed out on a once in a lifetime opportunity to revitalise the Onchan Park area as a community health and recreation facility. This could be considered to be a snub to providing health based activities by a local authority. What message does this send to the community at large?

This decision does not send out a very positive message to the young people of Onchan and further a field.

It appears that Onchan Commissioners have shown little faith in or commitment to the youth of the Isle of Man, those already involved in cycle sport, the IOM CA and IOM Sports Council. Furthermore they have neglected the knock on benefits to health in the community that were included in our proposals.

Apart from these benefits the Commissioners have also turned down what would have been a substantial capital investment in their facilities with no requirement to contribute themselves. This capital investment would have been approximately £100,000 in the first year of operation increasing to close to £500,000 within five years.

The Stadium would have been operational on a year round basis attracting a wide range of users who would bring associated trade to the other tenants of the complex as well as securing the use of the football pitch on a permanent basis for Onchan AFC.

Whilst we are severely disappointed by this decision we will not be put off in our quest to secure adequate facilities for cyclists. The Isle of Man continues to produce cyclists who are successful at the very highest levels and continue to attract wide media attention to the Isle of Man for the most positive reasons.

We must emphasis this success has been achieved without the use of a purpose built cycling facility on the Isle of Man whilst most other sports have secured first class venues to operate from. We are being put under severe pressure when riding on the roads and indeed have been forced away from what were traditional road circuits due to the increase in traffic use. Traffic use will no doubt continue to increase; therefore we consider that a dedicated cycling venue is of paramount importance to securing the future of our sport, to ensure that we can continue to produce world class athletes and to extend the joy of cycling to a wider audience.

Under these circumstances we would appeal to Government to give serious consideration to our circumstances and make every effort to assist us in the location of a suitable parcel of land in order that we may continue this project."

Good to see a bit of common sense being displayed instead of the usual bandwagon people like to jump on when we have a flash of success in a minority sport.

Good to see a bit of common sense being displayed instead of the usual bandwagon people like to jump on when we have a flash of success in a minority sport.

As opposed to absolutely no sucess in the sport of stockcar racing?

Surely "common sense" in terms of capital would be to pull it all down & build houses there to sell at extortionate prices???

Archived