[BBC News] Gold medallist supports velodrome

Newsbot

Not really read this thread, but the idea a velodrome could recoup a £500,000 investment seems very very unlikely. 50 people paying £20 a week every week for 10 years to use this resource or 100 people paying £10 every week for 10 years etc and that ignores finance and maintanence costs etc.

Doesn't add up ... but then there's the answer ... they'll get a grant from the Government ... as a tax payer there are better uses of my money.

I doubt if the stock car people get any money from the Government, or if they do it will be peanuts compared to £500K or whatever percentage of this the cyclists will need to make their scheme work.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am also disappointed but would like to inform all that I am still searching for a venue for a cheesenmustard museum.

Have you considered buying the Castle Mona. It would be perfect.

Oh and thank god the velodrome idea got binned. I love the stock cars and am so glad they are staying. I could imagine nothing worse than a bunch of middle aged men with shaved legs pottering about in Lycra for hours on end.

Give me crashes and a blatant disregard for health and safety any day

I thought the Onchan Commissioners interview on manx radio was brilliant. The cyclists promised £500,000 over 5 years, they did a business plan, they had an idea for the next commonwealth games, they had funding agreed.

But Mr Stockcars promised to whitewash the stadium walls and get some pikey's round to fix the tarmac, and they'll still pay rent but the terms and conditions were to "be agreed".

So that was better deal for Onchan ratepayers.

Absolute class.

What a kick in the ass.

Surely "common sense" in terms of capital would be to pull it all down & build houses there to sell at extortionate prices???

Well, you see, they already have a stock car racing facility. Doesn't need any investment or building, it's just there. It has demonstratable accounts that show a profit and they dont need any taxpayers assistance.

Maybe the cyclists business plan just sucked.

I am glad the stock cars are staying as it is a good summer evening out for the family. Better that the facility is kept for family entertainment rather than for enthusiasts for a sport that already seems to have a great number of facilities and encouragements elsewhere.

I would rather take the kids to see some whacky stock cars than a load of bikes being earnestly pedalled round and round. I also think too much Lycra is a health risk.

I am glad the stock cars are staying as it is a good summer evening out for the family. Better that the facility is kept for family entertainment rather than for enthusiasts for a sport that already seems to have a great number of facilities and encouragements elsewhere.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I just loved the irony of it. If I was an Onchan ratepayer that is democracy in action.

It costs nothing to have a shitty stadium that is maintained out of revenue, and costs the ratepayers nothing, and that brings people in who might buy a few things in Onchan shops on stockcar night, and you can have the footy as well.

A simple solution.

Bring back "Its a knockout" that's what I say. That used to be fantastic.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I just loved the irony of it. If I was an Onchan ratepayer that is democracy in action.

It costs nothing to have a shitty stadium that is maintained out of revenue, and costs the ratepayers nothing, and that brings people in who might buy a few things in Onchan shops on stockcar night, and you can have the footy as well.

A simple solution.

Bring back "Its a knockout" that's what I say. That used to be fantastic.

Far better to have not a great facility that provides great entertainment to many families every year than to have a load of taxpayers money wasted on a polished facility that might benefit not much more than 50 people that wouldn't provide any family entertainment, or any revenue to the ratepayers of Onchan!

I play football at the Stadium and have done for years so I was interested in the outcome of the decision. The Stock Car guys have always been accomodating and worked with things like football fixtures to make things work for everyone, so no qualms with them and good on them. Given we've a number of kids teams now it was also interested to see how it would affect the pitch. I believe the Cycling guys were willing to accomodate the football too on paper but who knew what the future held given the long lease.

I think they also had to consider the overall affect on 'Onchan Pleasure Park', the go-karts and stock cars are a center piece (albeit not the most spectacular) but losing them would affect the overall image of a pleasure park. I have seen bits of the cycling case but I haven't seen the Stock Cars - I guess it will remain pretty much the same.

Exactly. If cyclists were a little more courteous to other road users instead of acting like arrogant jerks, the public might be more sympathetic to them getting funding for their 'sport'. That's not all cyclists I grant you, but the few that don't are vastly outnumbered by the ones who do.

Archived