[BBC News] Gold medallist supports velodrome

Newsbot

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you need to comment on why a cyclist thinks he should have the right to ride in the centre of a road which has solid white lines preventing legal overtaking of him. Like it or not, he's a slow moving vehicle in relation to the other traffic and was cycling without due care and consideration for other road users.

It's that kind of arrogant, bullshit, superior attitude that gives cyclists a bad name. And it's one that you seem to endorse. Unsurprisingly.

I cycle on roads, I don't ride in the middle of the road and I dont ride in the gutter. I'm mindful of the fact that cars want to pass me and I make it as easy as I can for them without putting myself at risk or lessening the enjoyment of my ride. In other words, I try to share the road in a fair manner. Maybe if the rest of you lycra wearing ponces showed a bit of respect for other users, this kind of crap wouldn't surface.

I cycle on roads, I don't ride in the middle of the road and I dont ride in the gutter. I'm mindful of the fact that cars want to pass me and I make it as easy as I can for them without putting myself at risk or lessening the enjoyment of my ride.

Actually if you read the article, that's what he said he did as well. Furthermore he wasn't the one who was breaking the law, the cars who overtook him were.

In order to keep everyone happy, then, perhaps the cyclists should race around Onchan Stadium at the same time as the stock cars - keeping to their lane for most of the time - but occasionally straying into the middle of the track in the true spirit of a demolition derby. I think I might pay to watch that.

(The central area could still be reserved for launching dogs into space - to boldly go where no dog has gone before - on a five-year mission to discover new sources of cheese and mustard.)

In order to keep everyone happy, then, perhaps the cyclists should race around Onchan Stadium at the same time as the stock cars - keeping to their lane for most of the time - but occasionally straying into the middle of the track in the true spirit of a demolition derby.

God would I pay to watch that!

In order to keep everyone happy, then, perhaps the cyclists should race around Onchan Stadium at the same time as the stock cars - keeping to their lane for most of the time - but occasionally straying into the middle of the track in the true spirit of a demolition derby.

God would I pay to watch that!

Why has nobody suggested this before. It is the perfect compromise, in fact it's better than just having the stock cars

WTF - a cyclepath network is totally pointless in the IOM & is actually a hinderance to bike use rather than a compliment.

Your logic defies me. Would you quantify this statement?

need I say more???... http://www.bikeforall.net/news.php?articleshow=256

The article certainly implies that Bruce Morgan is not all there. I still would like to see a comprehensive island cycle network though. And I don't mean removing cyclists rights to be on the road, but offering a safer alternative, particularly for younger cyclists. The fact that the island host's so much motor sport seems to breed a moronic speed freak attitude amongst many motorised road users. I think a top quality cycle network could be a real tourist attraction personally, and wouldn't cost all that much to implement.

Actually if you read the article, that's what he said he did as well. Furthermore he wasn't the one who was breaking the law, the cars who overtook him were.

I did read the article, he was riding in the middle of the lane. I call that the middle of the road. If he was truly in the middle of the road, cars would have been able to pass him on the left. Nobody expects him to ride six inches from the kerb, but if he, as a slow moving vehicle, is deliberately placing himself in a position on the road where he can't be overtaken, he's committing an offence. Hell, if you look at a picture of the road in question, you think it's unreasonable to expect that he keep over to the left?

Cyclists have a holier than thou attitude about them in general, and it's examples like this which support that. This cyclist was riding in the middle of the road because he thought he could. Guess again chump.

Archived