[BBC News] Gold medallist supports velodrome

Newsbot

As already said, he was occupying the Primary riding position as advocated by the cyclespecific OHMS document.

Sorry. but you can't dismiss the Highway Code for its lack of legal importance and in the same breath quote a different non legal code of conduct because one happens to suit your argument while the other doesn't.

Also, I dont see many potholes, manholes or grids covers in that photo of the road in question.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When cyclists start paying road tax i will give them a better chance, and yes some cyclists drive cars, road tax for your cycle as well as your car.

Stop your moaning Stuart... cyclists get a great deal at the moment, by not having to pay insurance to ride.

That is just the typical sort of cycling attitude you get here and elsewhere - people who want to go from a to b in comfort and not get sweaty or pissed on by the elements are all "moronic speed freaks".

Don't misinterpret me please, I never said all. You can't possibly deny that many are.

Maybe you have not considered that manx roads are, in fact, very narrow and some daft twat on a bike that thinks its his right to ride well towards the centre line is putting himself and other road users in danger as he's moving slower than most of the other traffic. Slow moving traffic is always advised to move to the left to let quicker traffic through, is that concept too hard to grasp.

I don't have to consider it quite frankly, it is his right to ride well towards the centre line. If someone hits him from behind as a result of driving too fast to slow down in time then they are legally culpable.

The roads are too narrow for a network of cycle lanes (every bus route would be off limits as most roads are only wide enough to take a bus as is) but it might work on selected routes and might be worth a go.

Yes, but the cycle routes that I'm imagining wouldn't be on the roads, that's the whole point.

Its great that cycling is getting a resurgence here because of the world class cyclists we have, but we cannot re-draw every road on the Island to appease a minority which is why they should build a velodrome. Where would we stop - horse lanes? lanes for hoodies on skateboards?

If I want to cycle safely from eg Douglas to Peel, then how is going round and round a velodrome going to help?

When cyclists start paying road tax i will give them a better chance, and yes some cyclists drive cars, road tax for your cycle as well as your car.

Stop your moaning Stuart... cyclists get a great deal at the moment, by not having to pay insurance to ride.

Ah, the tired old road tax argument. I was wondering when that would rear it's head. Fact is, cycles do not wear the road network out at all. Cars do, and as a result need to pay for it.

Ah, the tired old road tax argument. I was wondering when that would rear it's head. Fact is, cycles do not wear the road network out at all. Cars do, and as a result need to pay for it.

That's not really as convincing argument as you might think. True cycles do not wear out the road network, but their owners do use and benefit from it, so it could be argued that they should pay for at least a portion of its maintenance (also not all wear and tear on roads is caused by cars either, part of it is simply due to environmental factors).

Cyclists do wear out roads (unless they fly like in ET) and cause more pollution (because they slow down traffic). Cycle lanes in the UK often take up road width which could otherwise be used for safe overtaking, so they also wear out motorists. Cyclists are also occasionally involved in accidents requiring traffic police and other emergency services - all of which has to be paid for. Cyclists should be restricted to 'official routes' (of which there could be plenty of sensible paths) or otherwise kept off the road. What's the difference between pushing an unlicensed untaxed pram along the left side of the carriageway?

Not interested in a velodrome, but if it gets rid of the stockcars all well and good. Stockcars have a poor track record on safety (particulary) with young people. If people want to take part in motorsport they should take part in a properly regulated and licensed sport.

Not interested in a velodrome, but if it gets rid of the stockcars all well and good. Stockcars have a poor track record on safety (particulary) with young people. If people want to take part in motorsport they should take part in a properly regulated and licensed sport.

Good idea - wrapped in 25 metres of bubble wrap perhaps? It's safe enough thanks Nanny.

A.T. bubblewrap is your idea not mine, there has been at least 2 serious accidents involving teenagers this year. If you think that is OK then so be it. If stockcar racing was such a safe, well organised sport then why is it not regulated by the MSA which is recognised as the sole governing body for motorsport.

Maybe you have not considered that manx roads are, in fact, very narrow and some daft twat on a bike that thinks its his right to ride well towards the centre line is putting himself and other road users in danger as he's moving slower than most of the other traffic. Slow moving traffic is always advised to move to the left to let quicker traffic through, is that concept too hard to grasp.

I don't have to consider it quite frankly, it is his right to ride well towards the centre line. If someone hits him from behind as a result of driving too fast to slow down in time then they are legally culpable.

In a 50 mph zone the speed limit is - surprise - 50 mph. If that cyclist is doing 35 or 40 mph in the middle of the road I'm sorry but he's a friggin obstruction an a danger to all other road users who are driving legally but who have to slow down or take other action to avoid him.

PS: If you want to cycle from Douglas to Peel in saftey buy a friggin mountain bike and use the railway lines.

1. All motorists need to show more respect for slower-moving traffic, whether it be cyclists, tractors or whatever.

2. All slower-moving traffic needs to show more respect for faster traffic by providing opportunities for overtaking whenever it is safe to do so.

3. Neither of the above will happen.

1. All motorists need to show more respect for slower-moving traffic, whether it be cyclists, tractors or whatever.

2. All slower-moving traffic needs to show more respect for faster traffic by providing opportunities for overtaking whenever it is safe to do so.

3. Neither of the above will happen.

There's an evolutionary theory about it all, and even with cyclists pedestrians are bottom of the pile.

I've nearly been killed several times by bike couriers in London who treat pedestrians with contempt, but then they also treat car drivers with contempt by kicking their doors in when they get in their way.

So cyclists are not quite bottom of the evolutionary pile, but have an inferiority complex about all higher forms of transport.

A small percentage of cyclists can cartainly be complete tools when it comes to pedestrians. A few times now I've encountered cyclists riding on crowded pavements ringing their bells and expressing annoyance at anyone who wont get out of their way, despite the fact there's a perfectly good road right next to them. One even grumpily shouting "get out of the way!" as he jumped a red light on a busy pedestrian crossing. What always surprises me when I come across this particular kind of cyclist is their capacity for self righteous and grumby indignation even though they're the ones in the wrong, not to mention their apparent resentment when it turns out that the average pedestrian isn't that intimidated by a middle aged man in lycra leggings.

In a 50 mph zone the speed limit is - surprise - 50 mph. If that cyclist is doing 35 or 40 mph in the middle of the road I'm sorry but he's a friggin obstruction an a danger to all other road users who are driving legally but who have to slow down or take other action to avoid him.

In a 50 mph zone 50mph is - surprise - a speed limit, not a mandatory speed at which to drive. Regardless of any expletives you choose to describe a slower moving cyclist, if you hit him from behind then it's your fault, and in fact it would be you who would qualify as a danger to other road users, not the cyclist.

PS: If you want to cycle from Douglas to Peel in saftey buy a friggin mountain bike and use the railway lines.

Ah, the penny slowly drops. Although I would use velodrome money to tarmac it all.

Archived