Could Mf Damage Local Businesses?

Manxman27

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone remembers the thread that caused the last forum to get closed, there were about 2 people (with poor literacy skills) posting things that somebody didn't like, and about 10 people presenting well constructed arguments that they were idiots for posting it. Pretty ironic, really.

If anyone remembers the thread that caused the last forum to get closed, there were about 2 people (with poor literacy skills) posting things that somebody didn't like, and about 10 people presenting well constructed arguments that they were idiots for posting it. Pretty ironic, really.

It also raises an interesting in respect of libel. As I recall, case law relating to the traditional press would suggest that sometimes you can get away with part of an article being a bit close to the wire if the overall article presents a broadly accurate picture - rather like putting the antidote with the poison.

Obviously things are rather different in a forum - should each poster's comments be considered in isolation, or can the effect of their comments be nullified in the context of other, more sensible comments? I would argue that the thread should be treated as a whole: that's the way that the media is generally consumed, in the same way that one would typically read a whole newspaper or magazine article and not just a single passage from it. The intent of the malicious poster is not sufficient - their actions have to actually defame the aggrieved party.

Nice idea, the law sees it slightly differently though.

Does it though? Has it ever been tested in the courts?

Of course most people will invariably back down in response to the strong-arm tactics of lawyers threatening to drag them through the courts if they don't take certain posts down and/or settle, but are there cases where a forum poster or a forum manager been successfully sued for libel in cases where the overall tenor of a post or thread acts to diffuse the defamatory sting? If not, did it act to reduce the damages awarded?

There's quite a comprehensive guide to defamation from the UK Association of Online Publishers, but it does not address this particular issue: understandably, it takes a pretty risk-averse position.

http://www.ukaop.org.uk/cgi-bin/docs.pl/11...n%20section.doc

If you dont want bad press dont offer bad service...fairly simple equation in my book!! Its about time consumers took back some control....especially on the Island.

How's about: Want to buy a house for my children, Identified one, went into the estate agent advertising said property and asked if I could view it? Simple enough so far. They said Yes but I would have to call the Ramsey office to make an appointment, asked if they could do it for me as I was stood in their office and they had given me the brochure, they said no, I would have to phone and make the appointment", asked If I could use their phone, you guessed it no.

Guess what, I walked out and found another property that I could make an appointment to view with another estate agent and am now buying said house.

. I think its down to everyone monitor what they say and always remember that many posts here have been posted for a reason and 1. You don't often know that reason and 2. You don't even know the identity of that poster and his connection to the subject matter.

And 3. You don't know if the post has been tampered with by a moderator which can sometimes effectively alter the thrust of the post. And because of this, I think the site admins/owners are legally responsible for the content rather than the posters.

And 3. You don't know if the post has been tampered with by a moderator which can sometimes effectively alter the thrust of the post. And because of this, I think the site admins/owners are legally responsible for the content rather than the posters.

Apart from the fact that this doesn't happen, there's a log kept of all mod/admin activity.

Talking of local business issues. Are there any health and safety / food standards guidelines to do with staff hygiene? Everytime I go into one particular Douglas shop (that shall remain nameless) the staff who seem to be perpetually on duty look like they sleep in their clothes and reak of BO. I've stopped shopping there because I don't even want to share the same airspace as them. Real skanky.

Even if there are no guidelines, you'd think the management would say something?

Apart from the fact that this doesn't happen, there's a log kept of all mod/admin activity.

Whether the activity is logged or not, it clearly does happen. It's happened to me. Manx Forums is unusual in that posts are deleted without explanation. The fact is, public content on eg, MF, is only public content because the site operators have effectively cleared it. IMO, by having any sort of moderation on this site means that the responsibility lies with the site. (possibly also the poster, but never solely the poster)

Whether the activity is logged or not, it clearly does happen. It's happened to me. Manx Forums is unusual in that posts are deleted without explanation. The fact is, public content on eg, MF, is only public content because the site operators have effectively cleared it. IMO, by having any sort of moderation on this site means that the responsibility lies with the site. (possibly also the poster, but never solely the poster)

Er..so you think I - or any of the other unpaid, voluntary moderators - are responsible for any troll drizzle you post? Don't think it works like that...

Is that a professional opinion ?

Lol, no it's not

It shows..lol..lol..lol

Manx Forums is unusual in that posts are deleted without explanation.

Posts being deleted is not the same as "post has been tampered with by a moderator which can sometimes effectively alter the thrust of the post". As it happens, we generally talk with individuals when a post is removed, however, when it's just some illiterate oik spamming obscene abuse at people, we dont tend to waste our time. I've checked the logs for this year though and I can see the grand total of five posts being removed, four of them yours. I leave it to you to decide where the problem lies here.

The fact is, public content on eg, MF, is only public content because the site operators have effectively cleared it. IMO, by having any sort of moderation on this site means that the responsibility lies with the site. (possibly also the poster, but never solely the poster)

No, we don't 'effectively clear it' at all. That would require the manual approval of every post on here. As it is, I personally don't read every thread and I highly doubt any of the others do which is why we keep stressing to people that they need to help us out by using the report post feature to draw our attention to potential problems.

This discussion is pointless anyway. We've taken legal advice over our status and it's quite simple. We're right and you're wrong. As usual.

Archived