Cathedral To Demand Sony Apology

Albert Tatlock

From BBC

I really don't see what all the fuss is about, and do not see a link to gun crime in Manchester or all the other evils in the world. IMO this is the church trying to cash in. If they really want to help people, the church should sell off some of its immense property portfolio. When you consider the number of films etc. featuring churches and cathedrals this would be a dangerous precedent if it was allowed to be pursued.

I hope Sony take a stand and tell them to sod off.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From BBC

I hope Sony take a stand and tell them to sod off.

"It is well known that Manchester has a gun crime problem," McCulloch had said. "For a global manufacturer to re-create one of our great cathedrals with photo-realistic quality and then encourage people to have guns battles in the building is beyond belief and highly irresponsible."

That old chestnut! Playing games makes kids shoot people. And does reading the bible make kids crucify their mates too?

Do not support religion, per se, but if someone used the interior of my house for filiming then I would want some recognition/cash. The church is only protecting its asset.

I don't, however, buy the connection with gun crime. They should just stop the argument at you have used something that belongs to us and we want payment for it. I happen to know that the church is pretty well up on matters relating to copyright/royalties etc.

I don't, however, buy the connection with gun crime. They should just stop the argument at you have used something that belongs to us and we want payment for it. I happen to know that the church is pretty well up on matters relating to copyright/royalties etc.

Copyright's timed innit? I'm also not so sure you can copyright the likeness of a building? It's not like they filmed anything in there, they just recreated it's likeness.

Oh yes next time I visit this cathedral and I am attacked by alien monsters I'm sure I will be encouraged to whip an arsenal of laser cannons and start blasting away. What next, Mario banned for encouraging the potentially suicidal to jump off things.

Do not support religion, per se, but if someone used the interior of my house for filiming then I would want some recognition/cash. The church is only protecting its asset.

I don't, however, buy the connection with gun crime.

I agree.

I think if we were to make this another 'religious' issue, then really, we're stretching it too far!! The religious message may get mixed in with the "gun crime" message, but that's not what this is really about. Fact is, Sony used a building without consulting the building owner. I don't imagine any organization would be happy if it's meeting place was replicated exactly and then used in this way - without consultation. The same goes for this Cathedral.

Personally, i got nothing against these computer games!! But if the church wants to complain about the use of it's building, then so be it. It's up to them. But don't try to make this another 'bash religion' thread.

So, the next time they use a war zone as a backdrop for their preaching and prosthelatising the combatants can claim fees?

Are you having a laugh? Who paid for the building in the first place, who pays the wages of the staff, who forks out every week in the hope some of the mumbo-jumbo spouted by the cloaked fools might just turn out as promised by them (none ever has so far and never will)? The gullible public, that's who.

Stop bleating and take it like a man, you're being used by someone to make money, surely not a concept you are totally unfamiliar with?

So, the next time they use a war zone as a backdrop for their preaching and prosthelatising the combatants can claim fees?

Are you having a laugh? Who paid for the building in the first place, who pays the wages of the staff, who forks out every week in the hope some of the mumbo-jumbo spouted by the cloaked fools might just turn out as promised by them (none ever has so far and never will)? The gullible public, that's who.

heh, if it's the gullible public who are paying out (and not yourself of course), then really you have no say in the matter. It's down to the gullible public.

Stop bleating and take it like a man, you're being used by someone to make money, surely not a concept you are totally unfamiliar with?

are you talking to me here? or....

Dan - you have just given me a brilliant idea for a sequel to the game 'Resistance: Fall of Man' which I have forwarded to Sony.

Instead of aliens we use C of E church goers, Mormons, Catholics, Muslims etc. in 'Religion: Fall of Man'. In the sequel we spend the game trying to wipe out zombie-virus-infected humans before they infect us all and take over the world - seeking them out in their normal hang-outs - churches, cathedrals, schools and the high street where they lurk seeking out and attacking the lonely, the weak and the vulnerable. Everytime one is wiped out, we improve the world's commonsense factor and clever-dumb ratio.

You better get hoovering - Sony will be arriving at your house with a video camera later today.

This could be a unique event - I'm actually with DjDan on this one! I think it was wrong of Sony to use a facsimile of the interior of the building without consulting the authorities responsible for it - the fact that it is a religious building has no significance whatsoever, its simply a matter of common courtesy.

Good manners and courtesy would have stopped this happening. I hope Sony have the decency to make a substantial contribution to a humanitarian charity. - perhaps to some of the people who suffer because of gun crime or even as a result of idiots who go to war in the name of religion.

Archived