[BBC News] Driver dies in crash on main road

Newsbot

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People need to remember that there are things we simply cannot discuss on here for good reason. As much as it sucks, our hands are tied. People with edited posts know exactly what they're doing, please stop.

mountain road - timed cameras + maybe one gatso near the junction roads

elsewhere one gatso mid racing stretch would suffice - after all the ballahutchin is at most 1km, ballamodha one at the current 50mph limit

also once the Island insurance data base is setup (as in UK) then a few number plate recognition say at QB, and Richmond hill combined with those on mountain rd should catch most if not all offenders.

:rolleyes: excellent...how about tachometers, gps tracking ...we have the technology!!!

Or how about a bit of plain common sense when getting behing the wheel.....its not rocket science.

That's the bit that's lacking which is why the technology exists in the first place.

Before I start, please bear in mind that the following is not in reference to the tragedy that was Dave Manley's accident. I think we can all agree that a momentary lapse of judgement lead to his untimely end, and great respect to his quick reactions that he was the only fatality, this incident could have infinitely worse.

No amount of legislation is going to cut road accidents (apart from legislation making it illegal to use a motor vehicle on the roads).

Quite simply, the police need to get tough and get tough proactively on known trouble drivers. As used by the government so many times, the 85th percentile drive within the rules, I would say another 10% then drive in the 'grey area' (38 in a 30, 49 in a 40 etc etc) then there is the few percent who disregard every rule there is. The Police need to be out and about targetting unsocial and dangerous drivers, and emploring members of the community to be more vigilant against this people.

Quite simply, the police need to get tough and get tough proactively on known trouble drivers.

I agree that the police should target bad drivers, but have a think about the tragic fatalities in the past couple of years and consider whether the people who caused them were "known trouble drivers". It's not that simple fella...

I think it is worth pointing out that nowhere else in Europe would 90-100mph be legal on a 2-way road - in many places such a speed even on a totally empty road would, if detected, lead to heavy penalties or automatic loss of licence - in this case the road was not empty and a major tragedy was no doubt averted by his excellent driving once he realised the situation - however nowhere else would anyone even consider that overtaking on such a short stretch at such a speed would ever be considered as acceptable - that is the point that should be debated.

And that is the argument for the all Island Speed limit. Just as X% obey 30 or 40 mph signs either fully or to a greater or lesser extent by slowing down towards the limit, if there is an all Island Limit naturally the majority will keep within or close to. Yes we might do 70 rather than 60 or 80 rather than 70 but many of the 90+ merchants, although I agree not all, would curb their speed.

Yes it would be lovely if all speed limits and other road rules could be 100% enforced such as R plates, use of telephones, seat belts, "beating" the lights but the fact that they cannot be does not mean that the majority do not try and follow them.

It is often said that speed is not the cause of many accidents. I agree that speed itself is not the cause and normally something else involved such as a moments lapse of concentration, error of judgement, or some other mistake. However it speed can exasperate an error.

I generally find it difficult to comment publically in cases such as these as the family and friends have my sympathy have my sympathy for the loss they are feeling. They have no involvement in the matter but obvioulsy are the ones left to feel the pain and I would prefer not to add to. I will not therefore discuss whether I feel such driving was responsible or not. However if we had an all Island limit we might get less of these incidents as aware that there was a limit responsible individuals might take regard to this and limit their speed, even if they believe it is safe and within their abilities to drive faster, wheras now there is nothing which might restrain them.

Ultimately I suppose the question is if an all Island limit of 60 or 70 was introduced how many fatalities or serious accidents would it be expected to save. At that point we all have to weigh up which is more important the cost of those lives, which may not just include those driving or in the car, or the freedom to have derestricted roads. At the last consultation it seemed the majority felt the latter which does not exactly make me feel proud.

As used by the government so many times, the 85th percentile drive within the rules, I would say another 10% then drive in the 'grey area' (38 in a 30, 49 in a 40 etc etc) then there is the few percent who disregard every rule there is. The Police need to be out and about targetting unsocial and dangerous drivers, and emploring members of the community to be more vigilant against this people.

Something else to throw into the pot is that using the highway codes calculation, the stopping difference at 70mph is 315 feet at 90 it is 495 and 100 up to 600. 600 feet is 185 meteres which is nearly 2 football pitches. The thinking distance of that is basically the speed in feet, so 70, 80, 100.

Now I do have my doubts on the highway codes figures as I am not sure they have been updated since I took my test 25 years ago and I presume brakes etc have improved since then, It will also depend on the weight etc of your car but the thinking distances are about right. Even if the full stopping distance is knocked back by a third at 100 mph it is still a hell of a stopping distance especially on our open roads where there are farmers gates, side exits, people pulled up to answer there telephone, joggers, horses, dead slow tractors and trailers etc all of which you do not get on motorways.

Archived