[BBC News] Driver dies in crash on main road

Newsbot

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People need to remember that there are things we simply cannot discuss on here for good reason. As much as it sucks, our hands are tied. People with edited posts know exactly what they're doing, please stop.

My own heartfelt, truthful and honest post.

Mod deleted.

There is a certain related topic we must not discuss.

There are big rich bully boys out there.

"Better a forum than no forum at all'

I'll go with that.

:(

This is the way I see it.

This poor fella has died after a car crash and his inquest has been held. From reading the manx radio report I don't see anything discussed here that wasn't in that report.

And also bear in mind that as callous as it sounds, you can't libel the dead.

What can't we discuss here? Or are you alluding to a different incident that I haven't picked up on?

Not commenting on this case in particular, but I agree with the poster above that no amount of legislation or regulation, with or without enforcement, will end deaths on our roads. Driving is dangerous, just as any form of transport apart from walking.

Why is every fatal accident met with howls for all island speed limits, road changes, increased regulation and enforcement? It is as though all accidents are preventable by state intervention. Well, that is not the case and it never will be. Every driver has responsibility for how they drive and that they drive within their capabilities and the conditions prevailing. No amount of signage, happy or grumpy faces displayed at your speed will ever absolve the individual's responsibility for their own actions, nor will it have any impact on the reckless, irresponsible driver who will not give two hoots for whether they are breaking any speeding law.

It is not that I am sanguine about road deaths, I just don't believe that ever increasing legislation will solve the problem, unless it is to have a man walking in front of each car with a red flag. Roads are dangerous, everyone should be educated to use them properly and responsibly. And that starts will enforcing the simple rules of the road that exist now (use of roundabouts, parking on zig zags, double parking, parking on double yellows, etc.) so that everyone focuses on the standard of their driving and actually starts to think about what they are doing behind the wheel.

The average Manx driver has such an innate disregard (or ignorance) for the ordinary rules of the road that I think a lack of responsibility in driving is a cultural thing here. Instil that respect for the existing rules of the road and it may well spill over to an improvement in general driving standards and so reduce the number of fatalities.

t no amount of legislation or regulation, with or without enforcement, will end deaths on our roads. Driving is dangerous, just as any form of transport apart from walking.

Why is every fatal accident met with howls for all island speed limits, road changes, increased regulation and enforcement? It is as though all accidents are preventable by state intervention. Well, that is not the case and it never will be. Every driver has responsibility for how they drive and that they drive within their capabilities and the conditions prevailing. No amount of signage, happy or grumpy faces displayed at your speed will ever absolve the individual's responsibility for their own actions, nor will it have any impact on the reckless, irresponsible driver who will not give two hoots for whether they are breaking any speeding law.

By your logic then the drink driving laws may as well be scrapped. And why not abolish speed limits altogether?

The average Manx driver has such an innate disregard (or ignorance) for the ordinary rules of the road that I think a lack of responsibility in driving is a cultural thing here.

This is quite simply nonsense.

I usually am.

a cunt.

:thumbsup:

The average Manx driver has such an innate disregard (or ignorance) for the ordinary rules of the road that I think a lack of responsibility in driving is a cultural thing here.

This is quite simply nonsense.

Although I agree with this. I would say maybe 1 in 3 or 4, but not the average Manx Driver.

That said, do you mean Mnax or Manx resident driver? ;)

Archived