[BBC News] Driver dies in crash on main road

Newsbot

Some wanker overtook me at about 50-60mph driving past the Glen Mona the other day, I was doing around 25-30mph, and he came screaming past me, straight into a built-up area where there's a school.

That's one incident, but it's really not that unusual to see such totally cock-witted driving on the island's roads (as someone who commutes over the mountain road, I'd say it's depressingly common) - as FLIS says, until there's a concerted effort to police the (extensive) speed limits we already have, and clamp down on the utterly shite driving you see every single day, an all-island limit would be more an object of derision than anything else.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Things need to change if the roads are to have a national restriction, you can't just throw up a load of signs.

Totally agree...and the thing that needs to change is driver attitude. There a large number of high performace vehicles knocking around at the moment...and with AWB, ABS, turbos, air bags, traction control etc it is easy to feel invicible.

For my sins I've got an Impreza (its a mid-life crisis thing) and have been driving for 20 years and its easy to get to 100mph over a short space of time coming over the mountain as I do ever day. Am I a boy racer....not likely...but I can just as easily get myself in to difficulty at that speed as the chap in his Saxo.

This isnt an e-penis rant...I am jsut saying that cocconed inside the metal bubble of any make or model its easy to think that the accident will never happen to you and that you are the best driver in the world. saldy though another family has learnt the hard way that this isnt the case.

Is there a panacea for all this...I dont think so.

Seems to be increasingly common it these fatal crashes that the driver is being thrown from the car (at least 3 now that I can remember)

Looks like the police need to start enforcing seatbelt laws. The simple fact is that they save lives and anyone refusing to wear one is an irresponsible fool

I'm confused. This is an expanded version of a pov I made several days ago which was deemed unsuitable and deleted. Where is the Godfather Of Manx House and associated crusading moral standards after this post? One could start to feel a little persecuted around here.........

Timing. Your comments were before the inquest.

Frances: lets hope so.

As where hers. I think it's more to do with the fact Keyboarder is an antagonist and Grianane is just senseless. IMO....

I wasn't going to contribute again to this thread, but must claify my position which is being misinterpreted IMO

My previous post was intended to express my genuine concern for how my kid viewed the incident and the thread of sympathy which was developing on the forum.

The facts as published reinforce what I have said to him, speed can kill, the metal box is not capable of saving life in all circumstances, just because a car is capable of achieving a velocity of 150mph (or whatever) doesn't mean you have to drive it at that speed or that the road/weather/traffic conditions will be suitable for it to be driven at that speed.

I'm not in favour whatsoever of an all-island speed limit for all the previously stated reasons however the absence of a limit doesn't mean that drivers can drive in a fashion which is dangerous to themselves or other road users.

I can't guarentee that he will take all on board however I have a responsiblility as a parent to try to point him in the right direction, thus my comments.

I remain sympathetic to the family for their loss, however sometimes you have also to look at things from a wider perspective. IMO

Anyone know why we have so few coppers? Is it budgetary or what?

I put it down to the law not being quite what it used to be putting many people off signing up, and I can't blame them. I think the armed forces is/will go the same way, and again I can't blame them.

You only have to look at this years Manx GP marshal turn out for a different example.

Looks like the police need to start enforcing seatbelt laws. The simple fact is that they save lives and anyone refusing to wear one is an irresponsible fool

I agree if that's the case and many don't bother but I'd imagine someone driving in a high performance car and obviously more of an enthusiast than a bog standard car driver is likely to have been wearing a seat belt, especially out of town.

I'd be interested to see how possible it is to get thrown from a car with a seat belt on, bearing in mind the structure of the car is damaged and it's possibly a circumstance beyond normal seat belt testing.

Actually it's more to do with one receiving multiple complaints and the other none.

Hmm - what about mod impartiality?

I can't spell this out any clearer. Nobody complained about his post, lots of people complained about yours. His stayed, yours went. Shut up or you'll join your post in the bin.

Quote from the MR story

"although it was made clear he had been wearing a seat belt."

WSAG, panacea? Slow the fuck down!

Or if people are going to drive racecars, they should wear harnesses and not seatbelts.

I put it down to the law not being quite what it used to be putting many people off signing up, and I can't blame them. I think the armed forces is/will go the same way, and again I can't blame them.

You only have to look at this years Manx GP marshal turn out for a different example.

I'd agree with if there were vacancies, but there aren't. I was told there was over 90 applicants for the last two police vacancies. It's not a supply problem, the police are fully staffed, longterm sickness problems aside.

I was just wondering what sets the number of coppers, and does that numer change as the population grows?

Archived