[BBC News] Driver dies in crash on main road

Newsbot

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like many others I have recorded my condolences to the familiy and friends for this tragic loss.

I have a concern however that as yet the full facts of this tragic accident are not known, and I am becoming more aware of some of the factors associated with the crash. This clearly wasn't a run of the mill road car, it was a highly tuned vehicle, designed for speed and apprantly kept in very good condition, on what appears to be a relatively safe stretch of road, and with no other vehicles invloved.

My young fella has seen this thread, he has expressed great sympathy for the family and especially the young child who has had her father, who is seen as being a proud and loving dad, so tragically removed from her life, and he is avidly looking forward to getting his first motor.

This may seem callous but I really want to get him to appreciate the dangers of driving too fast for the road, for the road conditions, or the capacity of the vehicle or the driver, and not to see road death as being a tragic accident.

I do feel greatly for the family and very much hope that the cause of their loss doesn't ultimately fall as having been within the within the control of the driver.

I have a concern however that as yet the full facts of this tragic accident are not known, and I am becoming more aware of some of the factors associated with the crash. This clearly wasn't a run of the mill road car, it was a highly tuned vehicle, designed for speed and apprantly kept in very good condition, on what appears to be a relatively safe stretch of road, and with no other vehicles invloved.

I'm confused. This is an expanded version of a pov I made several days ago which was deemed unsuitable and deleted. Where is the Godfather Of Manx House and associated crusading moral standards after this post? One could start to feel a little persecuted around here.........

I'm confused. This is an expanded version of a pov I made several days ago which was deemed unsuitable and deleted. Where is the Godfather Of Manx House and associated crusading moral standards after this post? One could start to feel a little persecuted around here.........

Its all me me me with you isnt it......

I suspect an all-Island speed limit is now much closer - just back from France where much better 2-way roads have an upper limit of 90km/h (and certainly many of the N roads have agressive police radar checks - at least in the Ile de France region) whilst sections such as the Ballahutchin would almost certainly get a 70km/hr limit

I suspect an all-Island speed limit is now much closer - just back from France where much better 2-way roads have an upper limit of 90km/h (and certainly many of the N roads have agressive police radar checks - at least in the Ile de France region) whilst sections such as the Ballahutchin would almost certainly get a 70km/hr limit

Enforceable how exactly....if people will drive like cocks then they will continue to do so on roads like the Mountain, Ballamodah, Ballhutchin etc etc.....people still lose it at the bottom of Hillberry and thats a 40mph zone now IIRC.

Timing. Your comments were before the inquest.

Frances: lets hope so.

Enforceable how exactly....if people will drive like cocks then they will continue to do so on roads like the Mountain, Ballamodah, Ballhutchin etc etc.....people still lose it at the bottom of Hillberry and thats a 40mph zone now IIRC.

Agreed. I don't agree with an all island limit but I can see how people do think it's justified. Enforceability is the key issue. The police can't/don't/won't enforce the law regarding limits already in place. I'd be prepared to bet that at least 80% of those on 'R'etard plates break the 50mph limit they're supposed to keep to, as vans do the 40, 50, 60 limits they're supposed to keep below. You'd think they'd be easy to spot, they display stickers FFS!!

Until the police start actually policing the roads (shock horror!) and enforcing these restrictions, there's no hope in hell of them stopping anyone speeding on the mountain road, for instance, if a limit of 70mph was to be put in place. Things need to change if the roads are to have a national restriction, you can't just throw up a load of signs.

Timing. Your comments were before the inquest.

Frances: lets hope so.

As where hers. I think it's more to do with the fact Keyboarder is an antagonist and Grianane is just senseless. IMO....

As where hers. I think it's more to do with the fact Keyboarder is an antagonist and Grianane is just senseless. IMO....

Actually it's more to do with one receiving multiple complaints and the other none.

Archived