Forum Makes The Headlines

lisner

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a close call between an article belittling JW and the forum posters and an article merely written in the parochial, jokey, lightweight style typical of local newspapers

email them at newsdesk@newsiom.co.im with your comment on the article and see if it gets printed

Anyone who does this and fails to make it into next weeks paper should post their letter on this forum

The way that has been written looks to me like a press attack on John's approach (especially those bullets at the bottom) which effectively seem aimed to undermine the serious of the report - IMO anyway - as I read it. Personally, I think that up to 20% of voters choosing to opt out says that there is something fundamentally wrong with the system - and there is nothing to be ridiculed about that.

Clearly the use of forum names hasn't helped John here, and it might have been better to quote '30 anonymous submissions'. That said, all publicity is good publicity, and from the SP petition to this, it might act as an encouragement to many who may be visiting MF for the first time, that there are actually quite a lot of us on the island who do care.

Much as I respect John for his contributions here both 'front of house' and behind the scenes, I did wonder when I scanned through the report last night whether listing pseudonymns on an internet forum was appropriate as 'sources'. The lack of attribution to a person as opposed to a personna could be viewed by some as undermining the credibility of the evidence quoted.

However, I am sure John weighed the pros and cons and decided that it was the right thing to do. The publicity for MF as a credible source and forum for debate of loftier issues is excellent.

Good one John!

email them at newsdesk@newsiom.co.im with your comment on the article and see if it gets printed

Just make sure you send it from bumholecrapnewspenisknobhead@manx.net and they could really write a piece attacking your credibility.

Agree entirely Mish, except with pseudonymns, you cannot be sure that they are not one person giving an opinion under a number of names so the credibility of the evidence could be questionnable. Petitions usually require your address for identification purposes.

Just an observation, nothing more.

If you notice there is a link in the article which is a rarity in itself. At the time of the article appearing the link brought up the Forum summary page http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?act=home

and what was the first sight to greet anyone who may have already been tittilated by the article? Caption Competition #62, a photo of old folks holding a naked bbq! The writer must have been laughing his butt off when he pressed the upload article button at the impression he would create.

. . .people will come here for news rather than buy their paper. Have we become a competitor?

manxforums.com can hardly be seen as a competitor but certainly people come here first for news at times.

The Ned/Ballacain thingy was a good example (the read count went through the roof during the trial). There were updates virtually by the hour on this forum whereas at best the newspapers could do twice a week. I still bought the newspaper though, so I would expect the newspapers to embrace manxforums.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if many of our local journos post here regularly (as well as Stu P of course). They certainly read here, otherwise they wouldn't be worth their salt.

Regarding anonymous forum users, it takes only a few posts to weigh up a poster's character. John Wright was well aware that some of the people who he was dealing with knew one helluva lot about the subject. Yeah, others were simply 'man in street' soundbites - but as opinion, equally as valid.

Big thumbs up to John.

Don't suppose you are the lawyer that pops into PSM co-op are you? :P If you are then you should come in again some night, would like to discuss views on things =]' Can only benefit me as a good old philosophy student =]'

it was only 30 or so posters on a forum with 6,000+ members.

Don't forget the reality of those figures is that the 6000 is much, much lower than that. If I did a cleanup of members who hadn't logged in for a year or had zero posts, I could halve that number in 30 seconds.

it was only 30 or so posters on a forum with 6,000+ members.

Don't forget the reality of those figures is that the 6000 is much, much lower than that. If I did a cleanup of members who hadn't logged in for a year or had zero posts, I could halve that number in 30 seconds.

Which means that the 2,000 plus signatures on the IOMSP petition represent 67% of the forum. And you can bet that many of the 33% haven't actually read the petition thread, so the percentage of those who have read it, and signed, is probably more like 70 or 80%.

Something for Mr Crookall to think about.

Sebrof

Clearly the use of forum names hasn't helped John here, and it might have been better to quote '30 anonymous submissions'.

I did wonder when I scanned through the report last night whether listing pseudonymns on an internet forum was appropriate as 'sources'.

I have to say those were my thoughts when I looked at the credits. While not impacting on the validity of their comments, the names forum posters have chosen may be perceived to undermine their credibility.

Website forum posters:

Lisner

Old Git

Grianane

Mission

Albert Tatlock

the bees

John Barber

When Skies are Grey

3v0

ans

Lonan3

Vinnie K

MissTake

Slim

Amadeus

Rednut

Chinahand

Albert

Tarne

Millman

Bluemonday

Motivator

Nipper

P.K.

Manxy

day trip to bangor

stopover

homarus

gayboyiom

manin

elleanvannin

playmate puzzle

The Original Munchkin

Bet there's a few names there that've never appeared on a government document before.

Sloppy journalism on the part of the Examiner not to at least give John the opportunity to respond to what may be perceived as criticism of his methods. Hopefully he will do so through a letter to IoM Newspapers.

You're assuming that everyone who's signed it is a forum member, which I doubt.

Indeed. I assumed that was the case because you can't reply to a message, or do much else, if you are not a member. So, if non-members can sign the petition, that's not consistent.

Sebrof.

Archived