Dogs Home Reborn ?

cheeky boy

Many of our older readers may remember the Dogs Home pub in Drumgold St (now M&S lingerie dept)

In it's truly great days it was run by a Mr Peter McAleer and was the coolest pub in town , a sort of Busheys in the 1960s /70s but had gone off a bit by the 80s and was demolished to make way for our treasured department store

The real name of the pub was the "The Victoria Tavern" but nobody ever called it that, it was always "The Dogs"

Today in Victoria St the former "Cork & Bottle" bar, closed after the sad and untimely demise of Declan, unveiled it's new name: "The Victoria Tavern" and it is to be run by Robert McAleer son of the legendary "Dogs" landlord.

Refurbishment appears to be underway but I have no idea of the opening date

Isn't there still 'legally' a public right of way goes through Marks & Spencer?

There was a public road.

Then buildings got demolished.

Then the area got used as a car park,

Then the car park (or 'waste ground') got sold. Bit of a bastard really because there is, I am lead to believe, still a public road / right of way, runs through it.

But aye, the dogs was good and any reincarnation will be a bonus to the bland pub life in Douglas just noo.

I have a rather nice painting of this pub by John Halsall. I never went there myself though, wasn't it full of druggies?

As I said, it was a fantastic pub in the days of Mr McAleer and for several years afterwards was still easily the coolest pub in town.

Unfortunatley the Dogs became managed rather than tenanted and was then "done up" with acres of dark stained wood & burgundy carpet.

The original clientelle departed for the Grosvenor on Athol St, Razzles in Walpole Ave. (now Guys & Dolls) and Zhivagos the former Yates Wine Lodge which became Busheys

To say that the Dogs was full of druggies is inaccurate by todays standards, even in it's latter years it was only a few dope smokers and the autumn mushroom trippers

Not a "Druggie Pub" as we would understand it today

Fond memories of the Dogs, particularly saturday afternoon shopping trips which were really forays between drinks!

I can't imagine it can be 'recreated' because the original evolved. Good to see a McAleer will run it, I hope he manages to retrieve the Victoria Tavern sign from the Creek.

Does anyone know how the nick name arose? It was called the Dog's Home when my paternal grandfather used to visit the island, I guess in the late 40's early 50's; it was one of his favourite haunts apparently.

Fond memories of the Dogs, particularly saturday afternoon shopping trips which were really forays between drinks!

Used to go there on a saturday and play pool after popping to town. I must have been there a hundred times, and never realiesed it wasn't actually called the dogs home until I read this thread.

I have a rather nice painting of this pub by John Halsall. I never went there myself though, wasn't it full of druggies?

To say that the Dogs was full of druggies is inaccurate by todays standards, even in it's latter years it was only a few dope smokers and the autumn mushroom trippers

Not a "Druggie Pub" as we would understand it today

Yes, yes, I understand the druggies thing, but did the girls spit?