Places We Used To Love... Where Are They Now..?

John

Going to the old Palace Cinema in the street and watching all the people squashed up against teh glass doors when watching Rocky 3 (or could have been 4..?)

The good old days

:D

Was that the Strand or the Picture House? I can't recall any 'Palace' cinema in Strand Street.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't there the Picture House and Strand, right next door to each other almost, where TK Max would be. The Regal was over by the Sea Terminal in that one way street. Then there was the one on the prom, whose name escapes me at the moment. Even Onchan had a cinema on Royal Avenue

I only remember two i town, almost opposite each other, I am sure... though I have had two many kicks in my head on rugby pitches since then..lol

I just remember one had glass doors and the other you could only sit on the balconies and look down at the longtail running about down below.

Edited by John Faragher

Wasn't there the Picture House and Strand, right next door to each other almost, where TK Max would be. The Regal was over by the Sea Terminal in that one way street. Then there was the one on the prom, whose name escapes me at the moment. Even Onchan had a cinema on Royal Avenue

The Regal was by the swimming baths in Victoria Street (photo of the organist, Mr Tootill in the paper recently), it was the Royalty in Walpole Avenue

for me, I remember the water powered roundabout, swing boats and the rowing boats on the lake in Silverdale, the gallopers are still there having been refurbished but the boats I think have succumbed to 'elfinsafety'

also the Rondezvous, the Tropicana, Falcon Cliff, Tholt-y-Will Inn, all have gone

Anyone remember the small paper/comic shop just near i think the taj mahal? in one of them side streets, anyone know the guy who ran it??????

I remember the shop, but not who ran it - but I know someone who might remember so I'll ask. We used to get our weekly Beezer, Topper, Sparky and Beano from there. There was also another shop where the Taj is now, it was an ice-cream/rock/sweet shop, but it was only there a few years. There was also a squash centre in the Esplanade.

i use to love the MGM especially TT & grand Prix time, If i remember rightly it use to be near Mariannes clothes shop which is also gone now!

Dinky donuts hole in the wall where sam webs, it use to b a gift shop, is now and the rendevous cafe,

those were the days....

Can anyone remember the pool hall in Ramsey? It was ran like a pub for under 18's. Would be roughly 1986 (ish). Banging my head against a wall trying to remember the chap that ran it but he had a white RS Turbo and used to live in Kirk Micheal.

Was it Pip or something like that?

Can't even remember the name of the club.