Places We Used To Love... Where Are They Now..?

John

Betty you are truely one of Gods great messagers. I remember hte doughnut place but for years I was convinced we had a Dunkin Doughtnuts over here. DINKYS not DUNKIN.

I remember the cinema in strand street having Masters of the Universe on. Which cinema was the one with the balcony? I saw Moonwalker and Snow white in that one. I always thought it was the Palace when they had that massive reception area.

Edited by oogie boogie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone remember the pool hall in Ramsey? It was ran like a pub for under 18's. Would be roughly 1986 (ish). Banging my head against a wall trying to remember the chap that ran it but he had a white RS Turbo and used to live in Kirk Micheal.

Was it Pip or something like that?

Can't even remember the name of the club.

PJ's behind the bus station? It was ran by a guy called Mike Skelley was a great place I fondly remember Street FighterII tournaments! :D

The Avenue in Onchan

The Crescent on the prom

Regal Victoria street

Royalty Walpole Avenue and

The Strand and the Picture House Strand Street (landward side. Don't remember one on the seaward side)

As for where M&S is Irvings, Theatre Royal pub, the HB wraehiouse which at the back, opposite Moochers was actually the Old Theatre Royal and you could see the cast iron posts that had supported the circle, The Dogs Home, The Star on other side Market Street as well as Moochers and of course MGM, Star bar and the roller disco

Looneys used to also be where M&S is now. Sold some good gear there back in the day, farahs, lyle and scott and pringle jumpers for school uniform.

The roller disco place was in the legion building, it was called jax or flix, cant remember which. Where on royal avenue was the cinema, that was before my time. I remember the two cinemas in strand street, they always had the police treat round this time of year where all the kids got a selection box, happy days!

Looneys used to also be where M&S is now. Sold some good gear there back in the day, farahs, lyle and scott and pringle jumpers for school uniform.

The roller disco place was in the legion building, it was called jax or flix, cant remember which. Where on royal avenue was the cinema, that was before my time. I remember the two cinemas in strand street, they always had the police treat round this time of year where all the kids got a selection box, happy days!

The cinema on Royal ave was where Royal court flats are now ..

Ah the Police Treat....that takes me back!

I remember being able to watch the rock being made in a shop in Castle Street...was it called Gores???

I also used to love going into Blacks(??) the pet shop on Victoria Street next to Gellings Foundry which I think is somewhere near where MT building is now, they used to have cages full of kittens and puppies and a parrot that shouted at you!

I remember there were loads of amusement arcades throughout the main shopping area and a cafe called the Golden Egg(??), I also was taken, as a birthday treat, to the Mayflower chinese in Castle Street, it was sooo exotic!! :D

The Viking in Ramsey, with it's 8 Band Nights; The Iron Pier - music nearly every night, the Talk of the Town (or have I just dreamt that last one up?)

In Laxey - The Coach & Horses with music in the room upstairs.

And in Douglas Queens Prom was brilliant for music when I was a kid and being dragged round the pubs by my parents!