Places We Used To Love... Where Are They Now..?

John

I remember those Saturday morning matinees when I was a kid (at the Picture House I think). They were really popular and always pretty full.

One series they used to show was about some kids who went to Venus in a rocket - anyone know what that was called, I tried looking it up a couple of years ago with no joy. As well as all those Lyons Maid lolly adverts of course.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Ah the Police Treat....that takes me back!

I remember being able to watch the rock being made in a shop in Castle Street...was it called Gores???

I also used to love going into Blacks(??) the pet shop on Victoria Street next to Gellings Foundry which I think is somewhere near where MT building is now, they used to have cages full of kittens and puppies and a parrot that shouted at you!

I remember there were loads of amusement arcades throughout the main shopping area and a cafe called the Golden Egg(??), I also was taken, as a birthday treat, to the Mayflower chinese in Castle Street, it was sooo exotic!! biggrin.gif

Don't ever remember kittens or puppies there, and the parrot was a Mynah Bird - 'what's your name?' 'Mary Jane'. ' Where do you live?' 'Down the grid.'

Gellings foundry used to be a great shop - at least, the car parts section was! The Queen Victoria statue was kept and installed in a similar place on the MT replacement building. Looking through the previous posts in here, I guess a lot of people remembered http://www.flickr.co...ool-1629811@N23

Edited link. BTW, how do you change the link to display different text eg 'this' rather than the full link address?

Edited by irishwasa