New Magazine For The Island?

chiefmark

Should have started the thread thus;

Can anyone tell me and my mates the best way to publisise a new magazine we are trying to get off the ground?'

It's honest, doesn't patronise and recognises there are people here that might, just, know something about the subject.

And yes, there are people here that have nothing better to do, in between changing the dressings on my paliative care patient and answer the door to advertising idiots, nurses, clinical deliveries and various other services.

ps;- don't attack the users, it will end in tears, trust me on this.

pps;- "unconfirmed rumour as yet" peurile and pointless, as well as a blatant lie.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish them the best of luck. They're probably going to need it if they intend producing a quality product for a niche market.

At the same time, I agree that they ought to have opened a thread in the Music & Club Scene section to ask for input, suggestions etc.

Is the purpose of the magazine to increase your audience at local gigs or is it to break into the general local magazine market?

There's definitely a market for a magazine. There can be no doubt of that if a magazine such as Manx Tails is able to make its way.

For example, I like Cringle, he seems a nice enough chap, but some of his scrawlings are simply boring, schoolboy smut doesn't even amuse schoolboys and tentative play on words can only amuse dim-wits, surely. I don't even bother reading his articles anymore although at one time I would plough through them, with the knowledge that perhaps 1 out of 20 might be worth it. The odds are far too big now, maybe it is an age thing.

So, that is the Island's top hack.

Manx Tails. I don't need people advising me on finance whose financial morals are way adrift from my own - perhaps best not to expand on that here. Ditto legal matters.

So:

Look at what is already out there. You are not necessarily in competition but they survive - could you. Can you do as well or better? (I hope so)

Are you really capable of taking on this project? (again, I hope so).

Now Vinnie and Mr Sausage time to get excited you can pick up on my terrible grammar and spelling! =) (these type of faces in text talk are ruining the country also!)

If you're planning to go into (high quality) publishing, grammar and spelling could be important.

S

Now Vinnie and Mr Sausage time to get excited you can pick up on my terrible grammar and spelling! =) (these type of faces in text talk are ruining the country also!)

If you're planning to go into (high quality) publishing, grammar and spelling could be important.

S

I totally agree mate yes.

If i was in any way invloved in the production of this magazine then you would have an excellent point

S

I totally agree mate yes.

If i was in any way invloved in the production of this magazine then you would have an excellent point

Actually, it's an excellent point whether you are involved or not.

S

• 3 months later...

To be fair that was posted a while ago. The have obviously done their market reseach and came to the conclusion that advertising wasnt going to cover the costs of printing the mag for the time being.

Time will tell as to whether or not the 75p charge is worth it or not. Looking at the videos on Facebook and the way they have gone about marketing and getting general awareness it looks like it will be a decent read. I hope it is plenty satirical with some good editorials.

Good luck to them I say, takes guts to come up with something like this, I really hope it works and the magazine is a success.

"We are always looking for a healthy injection of innovation so come along, chaps and chapettes; send us your stories, your vitriolic rants, your rubbish jokes and your articles on cheese."

Or just read Manx Forums.

S

Archived