New Magazine For The Island?

chiefmark

You all seem like fairly intelligent people, so i'm sure you can see that negativity is far more viral than positivity and thus we have the whole point of Banter Magazine - General Banter.

Ok, I changed my mind. I tried to be neutral but on the evidence of this post, you're a snotty, patronising piece of work. I'm neither old nor cynical but ye gods, save us from smartass milksops who think they know better just because they've listened to Highway 61 Revisited.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, I changed my mind. I tried to be neutral but on the evidence of this post, you're a snotty, patronising piece of work. I'm neither old nor cynical but ye gods, save us from smartass milksops who think they know better just because they've listened to Highway 61 Revisited.

Late entry for post of the year!!

Was speaking a mate last night and it looks like there's a new high quality magazine for the IOM due out next year called Banter. Checked out the facebook group and it appears to be a quirky Entertainment mag, supporting local bands and up and coming talented locals. Anyone heard anything about it or know the guys writing it? I think they're only mid-20's looking at the video on facebook so its possibly aimed at fairly young people. Personally think it would be good, given the newspaper's poxy attempts at entertainment.

Lol, you have just got to love this Forum. Honesty is defo the best policy here. I'd love to know what the above said, before it was edited!

Right from a purely business position.

Free - how will you fund production?

Advertising? are there sufficient buyers for advertising in a product aimed at local 15-25 year olds to cover production and distribution?

You state high quality - that costs and again to produce in print form is a high cost implication.

As stated by a number of previous posters, the printed word is dying.

Your target age group is far more likely to get info online.

A high quality entertainment website is to my mind a far better option and could be funded by advertising from people interested in reaching the 15-25 group.

Getting advertising in for startup business is a nightmare...especially in the current climate of cut backs.

Would seem to make better sense to build up a following online with and then with a proven advertising stream use that as a carrot if/when you go for a printed version.

Much cheaper and less risky for you....

stuff

If you hadn't assumed people were stupid enough to think the OP wasn't involved in it, I doubt you'd have had any negative responses. The cynicism seems to be justified. I tend to avoid literature written by people who assume their readers are stupid, so I guess this thread has served a purpose.

I Think the boys may have made one mistake in starting this topic.

The mistake being that Manx Forums is made up of 50% people who come on for entertainment and to express their views on topics on our very small island with encouraging, helpful comments.

The other 50% of users seem to be miserable muppets that have nothing better to do now than pick up on peoples spelling mistakes in posts ( you will find plenty in mine people knock youself out!) and criticise any new ideas that people come up with.

Here is an idea everyone lets stop coming up with new ideas to entertain people on the Island.

New magazine - god no god forbid something more interesting than that rubbish manx tails comes out!

New swimming Pool or sports area for kids - no no no!! somewhere for people to enjoy themselves?!!! It might generate some noise and disruption for peeple!

Stop knocking people down - offer advice but theres no need to be miserable about it! Encourage these type of ventures!

Now Vinnie and Mr Sausage time to get excited you can pick up on my terrible grammar and spelling! =) (these type of faces in text talk are ruining the country also!)

I Think the boys may have made one mistake in starting this topic.

The mistake being that Manx Forums is made up of 50% people who come on for entertainment and to express their views on topics on our very small island with encouraging, helpful comments.

The other 50% of users seem to be miserable muppets that have nothing better to do now than pick up on peoples spelling mistakes in posts ( you will find plenty in mine people knock youself out!) and criticise any new ideas that people come up with.

Nah. I'd say its at least 80/20 in favour of miserable muppets. There's a boat in the morning.

(PS: MUFC stink of shit)

Stop knocking people down - offer advice but theres no need to be miserable about it! Encourage these type of ventures!

Like this?

that rubbish manx tails

Did you like the way I ignored your spelling, grammar and punctuation errors and focused on your hypocrisy? Did you like it? Did you?

edited to correct spelling errors.

For every one negative comment there is a positive. I think it's a ballsy project your undertaking. I also think with a lot of luck and a hell of a lot of hard work you can succeed. There is a gap in the market for a youth culture magazine and as long as you can get the right contacts and some decent content each month people will get interested.

I take it your only source of income will be advertising as it's a free publication, from my best estimates you will need to get about 4-5 grand a month to break even. Thats a tall order in the first year while the magazine is new.

I really do wish you well and look forward to the first publication. If you can tap into the growing band scene here and get some good info, interviews, competitions going.

I think your biggest mistake regarding Manxforums.com was to come on and pretend you were someione else, people can see through that a mile. Like Slim says best to be up front and honest, it tends to work better around these parts.

Best of luck to you guys I sincerely hope it works out.

Probably wasnt a boat this morning due to the hurricane winds we have.

Manx tails is garbage to me, how many people 18-35 read it? i look through it for the discounted Go Kart voucher that normally appears! But thats the whole point i think they must be trying to get at...Manx Tails maybe does appeal to the slightly older generation but it certainly does not appeal to the 18-35's.

Im not knocking anyone for having a new idea...i knocking miserable swines that obviously sit on their computer all day (3000 posts is a couple of days solid i would say) in search of putting peoples ideas down.

MUFC stink off shit? i will bo telling your headmaster you have been saying naughty things again you man.

has anyone heard about the .... i think it sounds great .... should really work... etc etc

(sender has no advertising budget, believes that the general public are thick, now backed into a corner, struggling to cope with the knowledge that potential advertisers who often read the forums now considers them dicks - reducing the chance of funds for future advertising budget)

Archived