New Magazine For The Island?

chiefmark

Why not just do it on the web? It will lose less money that way.

Old media is almost dead. Long established newspapers and magazines are closing or on the verge of going online only because it is now more or less impossible to grow advertising revenue for print.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appreciate the advice but the viral approach has clearly worked by generating responses. Not everyone is going to fall in love with the title of the mag but it's a popular/rememberable word, which sums up the whole idea and context of the magazine. 'Converse Magazine' doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Oh, and 'does the world really need another vanity fanzine'? No, but probably more than the world needs another predictable cynic.

Appreciate the advice but the viral approach has clearly worked by generating responses.

Largely negative. Well done.

Still, at least nobody pointed out yet how you rubbished the competition in your opening post amidst the lies. Oh wai...

What I know is that it will be aimed as youth magazine meaning 15-25's.

Magazine sales are dying on their arse though and I'd have though this age group was the least likely to buy magazines due to the internet. As Pongo says, stick it on a website

Cheers guys, but there will be a website alongside the mag in due course. Mag sales won't come into it as it's a freebie.

Appreciate the advice but the viral approach has clearly worked by generating responses.

Largely negative. Well done.

Still, at least nobody pointed out yet how you rubbished the competition in your opening post amidst the lies. Oh wai...

Largely negative indeed - negativity being sparse on this forum.......oh wai

It's incredibly easy to pour scorn over those who are trying something different, particularly when you have the cosy, comfortable anonymity that comes with forum posting.

I appreciate that everybody has their own views and opinions but there really is no need for blatant negativity from some embittered cynic who spends all his time on forums belittling others to make himself feel better about himself.

I'm Steen from Banter Magazine. The reason Mark started this topic was to generate publicity and some interest. Just to simply get the word out there. We pre-empted the fact that there would be some who were not interested or dismissed it before it has even started. That's fine, each to their own. Check out another forum topic. But if you aren't interested in the publication or this so-called 'vanity fanzine' why do you feel the need to post such self-satisfied negative comments? You have made snap judgements without seeing the magazine, reading any of the articles or even knowing us.

For all those with constructive comments, words of encouragement, genuine interest or advice, cheers - we appreciate it.

Oh, and 'does the world really need another vanity fanzine'? No, but probably more than the world needs another predictable cynic.

The difference being that I'm not at present trying to sell myself, having retired from the manwhore game years ago.

I appreciate that everybody has their own views and opinions but there really is no need for blatant negativity from some embittered cynic who spends all his time on forums belittling others to make himself feel better about himself.

Meh, that's the risk you run when asking for people's opinions.

The reason Mark started this topic was to generate publicity and some interest. Just to simply get the word out there.

And people would probably have been more civil had it not been a miserably blatant and half cocked attempt to palm off marketing as 'the word on the street'.

Two valuable lessons learned there, now back to your strop.

I think this is exactly what the IOM needs hopefully it is going to be a small printed magazine with a gig guide that you can keep in your pocket or stick on your fridge. The internet is fine but you can't leave it on a table in a pub or hand it out to people.

I used to go out to gigs every week but now I have a family I need to plan in advance when I can go out, so hopefully a well organised gig guide for the forthcoming month will help me organise what I can go to, perhaps they'll even publish some of my photos :cool:

Well, thanks for the 'Banter' guys, it's exactly we predicted and wanted. You all seem like fairly intelligent people, so i'm sure you can see that negativity is far more viral than positivity and thus we have the whole point of Banter Magazine - General Banter. See you in February, i hope we can always be friends.

There is a huge amount going on music-wise which doesn't receive coverage in the local paper but whether that's a problem is another question (it doesn't stop anything happening, word of mouth still reigning supreme as it does).

Gig listings? Can be posted online. Photos? There are several enthusiastic photographers out there covering gigs and again, posting their pics online. For free. Live/record reviews? I'm not sure they work on a local level; there's too much familiarity. Also, everyone's a critic in our user-generated times and, with free downloads etc, there's none of the 'buying blind' which used to drive people to trusted critics. Interviews? Again, too much familiarity. Why would I pay to read an interview with a local artist when I could just chat to them in the pub myself? The only time I pick up music mags now is for articles/reviews by writers I really respect. Otherwise it's so much puff and drone.

As someone commented on here, print media is dying. The internet (amongst other factors) has reduced once-essential publications like the NME to loo-roll for Kooks fans. Rolling Stone, Mojo, Uncut etc trundle on because they have massive scope, high production values and revenue and let's not forget, worldwide circulations.

I don't want to be a knee-jerk cynic but I'm just not sure how a high-quality magazine solely dedicated to the local 'scene' would work as a freebie. Me, I'd buy a Pritt Stick and do a fanzine.

Sorry to sound so negative but I've thought about doing this kind of thing myself and came to the above conclusions. That said, I hope you can make it work.

Oh but two things:

I think it's a little ill-advised having a pop at the newspapers' 'poxy attempts'. As you guys have pointed out, it's very easy to be negative and cynical; wouldn't like you to be hoist by your own petard, so to speak. The entertainments coverage is far from being like a national paper/mag set-up, with a dedicated budget. It's pretty much a (very enthusiastic) one-man band and I believe he does as much as he can.

Secondly, the name. I'm sorry but 'Banter'? Massively over-used, irritating word. Makes me think of Vernon Kay, all forced Radio One cheeky chappie mateyness. Also, there's already a magazine called The Banter. Just saying.

Any publicity is good publicity unless you're a vicar caught with his pants down.

True I guess, but one forum topic is hardly viral marketing now, is it? :) Probably would have been better to just be honest with peeps and say what you're doing / asking for feedback. You must have known that on this little forum, it would take people 0.025 seconds to catch on to you and open fire...

Like the idea of it, though, so best of luck with it. Anyone who tries something new deserves respect.

Well, thanks for the 'Banter' guys,

that's so lame and awkward

i'm sure you can see that negativity is far more viral than positivity and thus we have the whole point of Banter Magazine - General Banter.

you don't get viral

It's incredibly easy to pour scorn over those who are trying something different, particularly when you have the cosy, comfortable anonymity that comes with forum posting.

It's also easy to drop into a popular site and lie to promote yourself or create a new account to support your mate. What reaction do you expect when it's an obviously misleading attempt to generate interest in your own project rather than contribute to this forum that we're all rather fond of.

I hope your project does well, I've nowt against you, but in PR terms, this isn't a great start.

Archived