[BBC News] Consultation on 2020 health plan

Newsbot

Views are wanted on long-term plans to make the Isle of Man's residents healthier.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7916656.stm

Interesting reading.

Maybe we will get a community based health service rather a hospital based illness one.

Apparently the main causes of preventable illness and deaths are-

Smoking

1 in 5 deaths will be due to smoking

Obesity

Obese liable to die 9 years earlier than those of normal weight

Drinking

9% of men on the island are heavy drinkers leading to liver disease, cancer and strokes

It seems part of the answer lies in taking responsibility for our own health.

Illness and death are not preventable - only if you get some illnesses early, and only then only to a limited extent.

Death awaits us all - and for those of us who wish to continually preach to others how to live their lives - preferably with nasty sharp pointy teeth.

Eddie isn't looking to cure death, Albert. There is, however, a lot to be said for looking at ways to improve, for example, dental hygenie, or looking at ways to encourage people take their prescriptions correctly.

I also would be very supportive of Moghrey Mie's call for community health centres. I read an article a while ago about one in the south-east of England that basically took a holistic approach to well-being and tried to engage people in their own health.

Tip #1 Lower the average age (and the health costs), by stopping importing any more pensioners (15% UK population, now 27% IOM population).

Send Stu Peters* (and Bernie Moffat) on the next boat to Liverpool / Heysham / Fairyland

(* unless he brings back Spot The Intro)

Illness and death are not preventable - only if you get some illnesses early, and only then only to a limited extent.

Death awaits us all - and for those of us who wish to continually preach to others how to live their lives - preferably with nasty sharp pointy teeth.

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.

If you're happy and you know it and you really want to show it... clap your hands.

Scots plan to stop cheap alcohol

Clink

Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon said: "Plummeting prices and aggressive promotion have led to a surge in consumption, causing and adding to health problems ranging from liver and heart diseases to diabetes, obesity, dementia and cancers.

I wonder if they have ever considered putting fluoride in the water supply?

That would improve the health of the Nation!!..... wouldn't it?

Putting in 5-a-day veg portions would be far more effective, though I suspect we'd need wider taps which might be cost prohibitive.

Eddie isn't looking to cure death, Albert. There is, however, a lot to be said for looking at ways to improve, for example, dental hygenie, or looking at ways to encourage people take their prescriptions correctly.

I also would be very supportive of Moghrey Mie's call for community health centres. I read an article a while ago about one in the south-east of England that basically took a holistic approach to well-being and tried to engage people in their own health.

Yes. I read about one that had an artists' studio attached and they used various kinds of art as therapy.

DHSS needs to get a much broader idea of what 'health' means. It's not just doctors and hospitals.

Archived