Hillsborough Remembered

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kept my mutty out of this thread because I have an opinion (unusual for me, I know) I thought my opinion was bad but, it is angelic in comparison to some of the hateful spite that is being driveled out by others. Rog, I'm so indifferent towards your posts, you must be an entirely new species NO human with a conscience could spout such venomous pap but you manage it time and time and time again. Someone get a botanist to dissect this new species of plant......

BTW my dreadful opinion was that there was a bit too much fuss being made by the press and TV when the events were personal tragedies.

We may get the real picture soon.

REUTERS

Britain ordered the release on Sunday of hundreds of secret documents relating to the 1989 Hillsborough football stadium crush which killed 96 people.

The interior ministry said Home Secretary Jacqui Smith wants a 30-year secrecy rule waived to allow police and public body documents on the tragedy to be published 10 years early.

"The home secretary has asked for all documents to be released," a spokeswoman said.

We may get the real picture soon.

REUTERS

Britain ordered the release on Sunday of hundreds of secret documents relating to the 1989 Hillsborough football stadium crush which killed 96 people.

The interior ministry said Home Secretary Jacqui Smith wants a 30-year secrecy rule waived to allow police and public body documents on the tragedy to be published 10 years early.

"The home secretary has asked for all documents to be released," a spokeswoman said.

Highly unusual for the Govenrment to do that?

Anyone thought of why now?

Maybe the Government are doing the decent thing for once, but why am I sceptical for the Government to release something 10 years early?

Personally, I hope it helps to resolve missing questions and answers and that people can then try to close this awful tragedy and put it to rest or behind them.

I wish those peope who are caught up in this tragedy, peace of mind and hope that my pitiful response does not do people injustice in what they seek.

I think its despicable that Rog uses the very week which is the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster to flood this forum with his hideous and insensitive remarks.

It is wrong to assume that everyone who attended that match were drunken yobs. Had he actually bothered to watch the documentary or the various news reports on the 15th he would have been aware that some of the victims were children or young people who had merely intended to follow their team and watch an exciting match with their family on a Saturday afternoon.

He should spare a thought for the families of the 96 who lost their lives, who will never come to terms with their loss. I hope that the families of the 96 get the answers they are searching for. Whether or not 20 years later the police and the crowd control staff could be made to pay, sadly remains to be seen- but if there is any justice in the world.......

Okay, so it was the crowd wot dunnit. But surely the role of the police and ground officials is to manage crowds, not mismanage them? It is not as though Hillsborough was the first instance of huge crowd management issues, and they were clearly not a crowd of marauding pyschos. From what I recall and what we have seen, it was clearly a case of negligent handling.

If anyone can remember the climate then, just about every football supporter was castigated as a thug and I would suspect the level of care that was given reflected that general opinion. Unfortunately, that resulted in a greater death toll by the "responsible" end of the spectrum. Perhaps they just should have left everyone to their own devices.

A shocking event, I can still remember the pictures of two girls with their faces pressed against the mesh. Just horrific.

I am also very puzzled by the general thrust of the comments from Rog, et al, about the worth of the people that died. Hmm (and this may be inflammatory) but perhaps some of those in the holocaust were really total shites and the Nazis in a long, contorted way did the rest of the world a favour. But when you have a crowd, how do you differentiate?

Highly unusual for the Govenrment to do that?

Anyone thought of why now?

Because as Home Secretary Jacqui Smith is virtually dead in the water. Its a populist gesture designed to get Sun readers saying nice things about her again (sadly). I doubt it has anything really to do with getting to the truth in this tragedy, its just the timing works for her to save her neck.

or a general election is coming and they want some shit to throw at the conservatives. even 20 year old shit has the potential to stink. expect war crime issues from the falklands next.

I am also very puzzled by the general thrust of the comments from Rog, et al, about the worth of the people that died.

My remarks regarding the ‘fans’ were not addressed at those injured.

They were addressed towards the mostly drunken mob who had created already created a terribly dangerous situation at the turnstiles resulting in the need to either confront them and face a riot, or open the gates to the ground, and who subsequently selfishly pushed their way into the ground with no thought for those inside.

There was far more involved than inadequate crown handling. For one thing the numbers of people within the ground at the time were unknown and for another the crowd outside are acknowledged to have been fueled by drink.

The whole thing comes down to a clusterfuck that were it not for the unexpectedly abysmal behaviour of the mob outside of the ground would never have happened.

The whole thing comes down to a clusterfuck that were it not for the unexpectedly abysmal behaviour of the police outside of the ground would never have happened.

Edited for truth.

Normally I ignore stupid people making stupid replies of that nature.

Not on this occasion.

It was NOT the police, it was the Liverpool fans outside of the ground acting like animals. The alternative would have been for the police to wade into the fans outside and crack a few skulls. Maybe that would have been better allround because there's times when plod gets damned if he does and damned if he dosn't. Hilsborough is a classic.

The whole thing comes down to a clusterfuck that were it not for the unexpectedly abysmal behaviour of the police outside of the ground would never have happened.

Edited for truth.

Normally I ignore stupid people making stupid replies of that nature.

Not on this occasion.

It was NOT the police, it was the Liverpool fans outside of the ground acting like animals. The alternative would have been for the police to wade into the fans outside and crack a few skulls. Maybe that would have been better allround because there's times when plod gets damned if he does and damned if he dosn't. Hilsborough is a classic.

G20 on it's way to the list??

Archived