Www.shopiom.com

Declan

I'm no design guru, but if you're going to create something that is meant to promote Manx businesses that site needs to make the point that this is Manx. This could just as easily be the Isle of Dogs.

Where's the three legs? The flag? A picture of the Island?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how many are actually new online shops that the £300k has helped and how many are just links to pre-existing websites?

I reckon the Monorail project could have a future if we can replicate how they pitched and got sign off for this project.

To be fair (which is very hard) the £300,000 was not just for this portal, but for the Venda ecommerce system (licensed to each retailer), support, training etc. The portal was just a part of the deal. However I would like to see a breakdown of the costs involved as it still seems a hell of a lot, for whats on offer. I've had my training from Venda and I wasn't impressed, but it probably suits the local market - handmade cards, gifts etc. Oh and I am told the design of the portal (template) is from a local company.

The portal was probably the most important area to make this project shine. The shop window for local goods and services, so it should have been an A-class effort even if the individual shop websites weren't all that good. It just makes the project look a bit mickey mouse IMO. The site doesn't look like it has good SEO and should do if we are promoting the Islands products to a wider audience.

Get rid of these stupid long URL's:

http://www.shopiom.com/pages/search/?ini=633874053948340000&filter_search_categories=home%20%26%20garden

And replace with:

http://www.shopiom.com/home-and-garden/

There is a vast amount of good local knowledge on the Island - maybe the DTI should have looked closer to home first and had a bit of consultation - you know do the best for the Island in the first instance. Anyway it's done now.

You're being too generous Slinky.

It's a pigs ear from start to finish.

There is a vast amount of good local knowledge on the Island - maybe the DTI should have looked closer to home first and had a bit of consultation - you know do the best for the Island in the first instance.

Agreed. Questions need to be asked and arses kicked.

It's a farce.

I think it's an invaluable source of information. For instance, when shopping for books and/or stationery I would never have thought of trying Duke Video or the Cricket Authority (!), or the Sky Sports DVD shop for health and beauty products.

I don't understand why the DTI's involvement with the internet is so hit and miss: the Manx Graduates site seems pretty good, certainly better than this toss.

The portal was probably the most important area to make this project shine. The shop window for local goods and services, so it should have been an A-class effort even if the individual shop websites weren't all that good. It just makes the project look a bit mickey mouse IMO. The site doesn't look like it has good SEO and should do if we are promoting the Islands products to a wider audience.

Missed opportunity too, one of the benefits of having all the shops on the same platform would be to allow you to shop in one place. This doesn't even do that though, it's utter garbage.

Good God, it's awful. I'm an advertising copywriter by profession, and the intro copy makes me wince. "Who'd have thought that such a vast array of lovely goodies would be available to buy online from the Isle of Man?" indeed. Opening the website with a sentiment that defensive (not to mention phraseology that twee) makes us look very parochial indeed.

Added to that, the typography is abysmal, the design and logo are horrible, and the corporate colours make no sense at all (the Isle of Man's identity is red and gold). And don't even get me started on the strapline ("Shopping heaven twenty four seven") - a small e-commerce site like this is nobody's idea of "shopping heaven". It's like a direct mailer I once received, describing a revolving cheeseboard as "bliss". This sort of nonsense is the hallmark of very, very bad copywriting.

I work with at least three agencies on the island that could have done a very, very good job of this at a fraction of the price.

What a complete and utter cock-up.

On a different note I'd like to see an initiative like this over here:

It sounds a good way to close all local businesses and just have the likes of Tesco, Boots, and M&S survive while the rest of the shops are empty

But would be good news for the Post Office and the transport infrastructure in general whilst helping to increase choice and bring down costs. So it definitely would not be all bad news for the local economy.

Tried shpping for furniture yesterday "locally" by dragging 2 kids in and out of the car and shops in the rain. Not a plesant experience and didn't find what I wanted so will end up ordering off island. Such a shame.

ok, a little competition, create a shining example of a directory site and let local businesses put their links on it

it's all too easy to criticise others efforts, don't like this, don't like that colour, don't like that font, and what awful spacing ! all the local companies and x'sperts spout on about what they can do, but let's see the evidence :unsure:

If some very big names use Venda why aren't they complaining ?

ok, a little competition, create a shining example of a directory site and let local businesses put their links on it

it's all too easy to criticise others efforts, don't like this, don't like that colour, don't like that font, and what awful spacing ! all the local companies and x'sperts spout on about what they can do, but let's see the evidence :unsure:

If some very big names use Venda why aren't they complaining ?

The big names aren't complaining because they have the full version. The version sold to the Isle of Man is a modified version of the small to medium sized business model, which is a bit basic to say the least.

They even admitted at their 'training seminar' that they won't have things that they consider to be very important, like customer reviews, in place until next summer.

Archived