Www.shopiom.com

Declan

Is it right this cost £300,000 ? for a bloody links site !!!

Not sure if this is the venda thing, but have noticed that venda use paypal to handle payments. I don't understand why wouldn't a small business just go to paypal directly?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a different note I'd like to see an initiative like this over here:

"A NEW service designed to revolutionise the way in which Islanders shop online will go live on Tuesday.

From next week, Jersey residents will be able to buy from the websites of major UK stores such as Ikea and Currys and have goods delivered direct to their door by Jersey Post.

Purchased items can be sent to a warehouse in the UK and then delivered by postmen. The scheme will allow major items such as sofas, fridges and flat-screen TVs to be bought from the UK. However, it will also cater for much smaller items such as a pair of shoes."

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/08/29/new...onise-shopping/

http://www.ship2me.co.uk

Yes this is the Venda portal.

Awful.

Weird, doesn't appear to be hosted on their stuff.

I like the way it's primarily a .com and not a .co.im, and that the DNS is with 123reg in england, the IP for the web server shows up as being in guatamala, provided by a london company called Locayta.

ShopIOM eh?

It sounds a good way to close all local businesses and just have the likes of Tesco, Boots, and M&S survive while the rest of the shops are empty

But would be good news for the Post Office and the transport infrastructure in general whilst helping to increase choice and bring down costs. So it definitely would not be all bad news for the local economy.

Spacings worse in ie8 - last screenshot was Firefox.

The white shop advert patch on the top RH obscures the sideshow of goods behind it.

post-4809-1251803396_thumb.jpg

It sounds a good way to close all local businesses and just have the likes of Tesco, Boots, and M&S survive while the rest of the shops are empty

Not really. Who here can offer the range of Ikea and Currys?

But would be good news for the Post Office and the transport infrastructure in general whilst helping to increase choice and bring down costs. So it definitely would not be all bad news for the local economy.

i know you often mention this aspect, but a local shop generally has sales people, delivery / installer staff, office staff, etc. They all can't go and work for the Post Office or local carriers, so as well as exporting money off island and out of our economy it would also raise unemployment.

£300k for that???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Excuse my language but fuck me, they must have seen them coming.

Unbelievable, just unbefuckinglievable :o

and they're trying to tell us no-one could have done this better locally? Someone needs shooting here, urgently.

I suppose the £300k includes the costs of supporting the participating business in the scheme over the period (3 years I think) and not just for the shopiom web pages.

That's my understanding of it as well. After that's it's £50 per month for the shop facility, which seems expensive

Archived