Www.shopiom.com

Declan

a bit of a damp squib start so far, so much for the claimed baloons and blaze of publicity, adverts on the radio, outer wrapper on the Courier, the only mention so far, in the paper today, is an apologetic explanation by the 'Minister of Glitches' of why, if you click on 'food and drink,' you get post-a-rose :(

what happened to all the marketing and publicity folk employed by the project ?

I am glad I didn't have that many glitches on my effort :D

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Venda39s-Ma...rtal.5611772.jp

Trade and Industry Minister David Cretney believes it does.

He said: 'It looks really good

Should have gone to Specsavers.

The rest of this 'news' report seems to have been lifted from the comments on here.

It was a conscious decision not to use Manx symbols or colours!

'We were trying to create something that didn't look too much like a government site'

That part was a success at least, but was the only other alternative really to create something that looks a bit like those iffy links sites that pop up sometimes when you slightly mistype a url?

A problem I find about shopping locally is not knowing where to buy something, so rather than shop by catagories, I would prefer it if you could search for a product and it would give you results showing who sells it, then you can compare prices, then either buy it online and get it posted or call them to see if they have it in stock and put aside for you, then collect it later, or pay for a taxi to collect it for you and drop it of. (taxi drivers are complaining about how quiet it is, this would be something for them to do)

I suppose like Amazon market place but with local retailers.

'There's always going to be teething problems,' she said, adding that the site's ranking on internet search engines would be an area looked at in the weeks to come.

That's why with most online campaigns you test and test again before you launch. Better to get it right and launch. The categories throwing up the wrong results is a basic fault that I and others spotted within seconds.

I was joking to a mate about setting up iom shopping website and doing it properly so checked www.marketplace.im and it says

"The Domain marketplace.im would be referred to the Isle of Man Government." does this mean the Govt are cybersquatting to prevent competition?

That's why with most online campaigns you test and test again before you launch. Better to get it right and launch. The categories throwing up the wrong results is a basic fault that I and others spotted within seconds.

Please explain what you mean ? looks fine to me.

I was joking to a mate about setting up iom shopping website and doing it properly so checked www.marketplace.im and it says

"The Domain marketplace.im would be referred to the Isle of Man Government." does this mean the Govt are cybersquatting to prevent competition?

I get no such message, in both IE and Opera it just says no such domain.

Please explain what you mean ? looks fine to me.

Read the article they admit it themselves that when you chose a category the wrong type of shops came back. They launched before they fixed/checked this.

it was probably the trader clicking all sorts of inappropriate categories when entering their data, not being checked by anyone to see if a xxx-shop was really in yyy category (mind you, nobody sticks to their own line of business these days, just makes you wonder if the company registries ever check that a company is dealing in goods which were not declared in their registration and whether it is a legal requirement or not)

Archived