Be There And Queue ...... Even Longer

oldmanxfella

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found it madness that they seem to employ staff to watch you serve yourself - it'd be easier just to serve you themselves

Plus I find the little voice screaming at you for every item scanned to be quite off putting

It's a bit like those self-service check-ins at airports. The staff are there showing people how to use the machines.

Exactly. A few years ago I travelled on Eurostar quite a bit and was always amused to have a member of staff seize my ticket when I reached the barrier, pop it through the slot and had it back to me with a "there you go sir".

I was there this afternoon. There was one person supervising the self service area as usual. I went to see the one person who was on a standard till as I had a credit note and suspected that it would cause trouble at the self-service till. I was behind someone with a not-very-complicated query that of course was made ridiculously complicated by the staff. As this was taking a while, a queue built up behind us. A tannoy message went out for more till staff, 3 turned up... and manned the self-service tills! There was one member of staff for each self service till. Most infuriating.

why not go back to Todhunter&Elliot or Gellings Foundry instead ?

er............. maybe not, B&Q put them all out of business

now how about Tesco :P

Not true. Both closed down long before B&Q appeared in the IoM.

Most small DIY outlets can beat B&Q prices - they just can't match the massive range of items.

Customers prefer convenience to value and service - sad but true.

I have found that buying B&Q's own brands is really risky - at least when it comes to garden tools. They inevitably seem to fall to pieces after a few uses. As far as possible I have given up going there as I can get most of what I need in Castletown anyway until Mr Tilleard puts a super-luxury hotel and apartments up.

B&Q always seems full of zombie shopper shuffling around aisles, hopeless eyes gazing in despair up and down the shelving searching desperately for the one item that made them go there. It always seems to be in the last aisle.

Far easier than DIY is my approach - YDI (You Do It) - and pay someone else. Life's too frickin short, never mind with the added chaos it sounds like up there at Buy and Queue.

Self service tills are pretty pointless when human expertise is required so often up there IMO - a guaranteed recipe for disaster and even bigger queues.

Not true. Both closed down long before B&Q appeared in the IoM.

Most small DIY outlets can beat B&Q prices - they just can't match the massive range of items.

Customers prefer convenience to value and service - sad but true.

The Home Improvement Centre died when B&Q arrived.

I find that fair enough though as they had a really annoying jingle for their radio adverts

The Home Improvement Centre died when B&Q arrived.

Where was that? The name rings a bell

Bon Ton Stores also disappeared.

Was that the one in Victoria Street?

No, it was Bathurst Street, diagonally opposite Park Road School: a small triangular shop now home to a property consultant. It did have a particular smell, as I recall.

The one in Victoria Street was Gelling's Foundry, which had the biggest kettle in the world in its window.

Bon Ton stores- I always thought the Bon Ton Stores closed simply because they retired.

That smell was usually Esso Blue and Pink parafin, which my gran used to send me to buy. I always remember that free plastic 45rpm record they gave away once with the song:

"They asked me how I knew

It was Esso Blue,

I of course replied

With lower grades one buys

Smoke gets in your eyes."

In my opinion these sef service tills are a good idear. However I think there are a few adjustments are to be made to make the process run more smoothly.

The advantage of the self service till is you dont have to deal directly with staff that are incapable or rude which does happen and can put cutomers off returning to a particular store.

So although at the moment a slow service with improvements this could be a god send to shoppers in the future.

Archived