Be There And Queue ...... Even Longer

oldmanxfella

In my opinion these sef service tills are a good idear. However I think there are a few adjustments are to be made to make the process run more smoothly.

The advantage of the self service till is you dont have to deal directly with staff that are incapable or rude which does happen and can put cutomers off returning to a particular store.

So although at the moment a slow service with improvements this could be a god send to shoppers in the future.

I've never found the check-out staff at B&Q rude or incapable.

I hope none of my taxes were used to pay your english teacher.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you can put notes in the machine ( but it has a habit of spitting them back if they have a few creases in them )or a card, but i don't know if you had a pocket full of schlummy to get rid that you could??. but yes, total ball ache, especially if you went in for a few quid item and don't want to use a card. and then you get the item in a big box or ten boxes of tiles and all the machine demands is you put it on the scales?? good game good game. perhaps we should all boycott those tills and form a huge queue by the one person on the till that is still in use.

In my opinion these sef service tills are a good idear. However I think there are a few adjustments are to be made to make the process run more smoothly.

The advantage of the self service till is you dont have to deal directly with staff that are incapable or rude which does happen and can put cutomers off returning to a particular store.

So although at the moment a slow service with improvements this could be a god send to shoppers in the future.

Interesting comments but the real idea that these are in the store is to gradually reduce costs. Do shoppers get a discount for using that isle? If not, then it may come to that, but eventually, it will come down to savings through the reduction of staff as there will be one less employee required for the till as shoppers will take over that position for free.

Personally, I dislike the idea of reducing personnel providing that the company is making a profit and therefore I'm determined NOT to use that self service area and like WTF said earlier, "I WILL BE BOYCOTTING IT". I like that personal touch and if it means going elsewhere, then so be it as I'm happy to keep people in jobs.

I've always found the staff in B & Q very pleasant and helpful, I've avoided the self service tills as yet (change is bad!) by going to the one manned till still open.

Shoprite Chester Street have quite a good range of small diy stuff, garden and household items at the back of the store. Useful for those without a car...

Personally, I dislike the idea of reducing personnel providing that the company is making a profit and therefore I'm determined NOT to use that self service area and like WTF said earlier, "I WILL BE BOYCOTTING IT". I like that personal touch and if it means going elsewhere, then so be it as I'm happy to keep people in jobs.

So, they replace 4 old aisle with 4 new self service tills which are incredibly easy to use. Easier than M&S's - it is the new version. Prior to these self service tills being installed, how many of the usual tills were open at once? Two? Three? Maybe four if they were busy? Now they have a minimum of four all the time, usually six. That has to be better for the customers and does not necessarily mean a reduction in staff. It means the staff can get on with stacking shelves and helping customers all the time instead of sitting behind tills twiddling their thumbs waiting for customers to come to them.

I like that personal touch and if it means going elsewhere, then so be it as I'm happy to keep people in jobs.

Did you also oppose the gradual introduction of self service shops, fillings stations etc ?

Yes, but I have no option with regards the filling station unless you know different?

So, they replace 4 old aisle with 4 new self service tills which are incredibly easy to use. Easier than M&S's - it is the new version. Prior to these self service tills being installed, how many of the usual tills were open at once? Two? Three? Maybe four if they were busy? Now they have a minimum of four all the time, usually six. That has to be better for the customers and does not necessarily mean a reduction in staff. It means the staff can get on with stacking shelves and helping customers all the time instead of sitting behind tills twiddling their thumbs waiting for customers to come to them.

I hope you're right Cambon, I hope you're right.

It means the staff can get on with stacking shelves and helping customers all the time instead of sitting behind tills twiddling their thumbs waiting for customers to come to them.

i.e. they will increase the number of staff stacking shelves over and above the numbers they already have doing it? I don't think it works like that - but I'll be delighted to be proved wrong on this.

I like that personal touch and if it means going elsewhere, then so be it as I'm happy to keep people in jobs.

Did you also oppose the gradual introduction of self service shops, fillings stations etc ?

Self-service filling stations have halved the serving speed you used to get.

Now you have to wait for Doris and Eric in front to stop, fiddle about in the car for a couple of minutes and get Eric's seatbelt off, look for Doris' purse, get out of the car and spend a minute checking the filler cap is on the same side, spend another minute looking at the pump, stick his head back in the window to complain to Doris that fuel's gone up yet again, cock about for another minute getting the filler cap off, check the pump five times to make sure he is not putting diesel instead of petrol in, operate the pump and cock about for another minute whilst he struggles to get the total to exactly £5 - (and it always goes to £5.01), go into the shop and spend another 5 minutes looking for milk, queue to pay, come back out to ask Doris for the penny for the £5.01, go back in and queue to pay, come out and spot Ernie at another pump and stop to chat to Ernie, get back into the car and cock about for another minute in the car adjusting seatbelts, have a two minute chat with Doris about where they are heading next, and then eventually leave - once he can get past another Eric parked in front at the other pump in the aisle.

Progress my arse.

1. The "improvements" are not.
  2. They are for profit and not for the customer.
  3. If we don't like it, we'll not go there as often.
  4. The loss of custom will effect their profits.
  5. Market researchers will spend months and £Thousands on analysing figures.
  6. The introduction of the new system will be deemed unsuccessful, or too sophisticated for hut-dwellers.
  7. They'll bring back the old check-outs.
  8. I wish.

Yes, but I have no option with regards the filling station unless you know different?

Fairy cottage at Laxey?

Wow, there's a whole separate thread about this?

As I said in the cheery staff thread, people have been LAID OFF so they could get these, and just for the sake of money, pure and simple. The staff hate them as much as the customers, and they must watch and assist people, as its part of their job.

Its likely that all the manned tills will be going bar the returns desk, so I suggest you do learn to use them.

The staff, bar 1 or 2, are lovely by the way. The management however? The most retarded arseholes on the history of the planet. I know someone who works there who got sent to hospital by B&Q for coughing up blood. The day after, they got a written fucking warning for being off when they forced them to go to hospital against their will. Have mercy on the poor saps who work there, that's the sort of stuff they have to put up with.

Archived