Real Ice Rink For Festive Season

isleofman.com News

Yes.....except I've just come from the A&E this morning with my iceskating break, where they say they have had at least 60 ice-skating injuries including 3 broken wrists yesterday alone, to mothers taking their kids iceskating.

Lostlogin: Read again, carefully this time: 3 injuries in one day and 60 so far since rink opened.

I have reread your original statement it did not mention that the 60 was since opening. the phrase you used was "they have had at least 60 ice-skating injuries including 3 broken wrists yesterday alone" Silly me for not realising when you used the phrase yesterday alone you actually meant something else!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know, but I would imagine that the more people there are flailing about on a very small ice rink, the higher the chances of injury.

I didn't think it was a very small ice rink at all, it's a pretty good size. Much bigger than the tiny synthetic ones that have been over last few years.

I think your post says more about the general lethargy and lack of coordination of the population than the safety of the ice. It's ice + blades, that's what it's about, and I'd hate to complicate it more than that.

Be good if this can come over regular, perhaps a couple of times a year and people build up a bit of strength and skill and reduce the injury count, but I don't think the rate of acccidents is the organisers fault. If you're worried about it, wear a helmet and wrist braces.

OMFG, right, it is no wonder people ask Manxies if they have TV's over here, we are a bunch of backwards gypsies...can't even have a skating ring with out some dumb fux breaking themselves... I've been skating hundreds of times in Scotland, never ever, not even once, have I seen anyone injure themselves. /shakes head in wonderment. Hahahaha I just remembered a song lyric "Here comes Christ on crutches" I dunno, seemed apt for the season and all that.

But you're wrong...

"Tourist destinations including the Natural History Museum and Somerset House in London, Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh and the Centre for Life in Newcastle run hugely popular skating rinks from December until January.

They attract crowds of inexperienced skaters, who are typically more shaky on the ice than those who visit more permanent rinks.

Last year St Thomas' Hospital in London, near to the Somerset House ice rink, found such a noticeable increase in the number of breaks, cuts, concussions and dislocations in its accident and emergency units that it launched a review into the problem.

Over the same period London Ambulance Service said that it had been called out on at least 101 times"

OMFG, right, it is no wonder people ask Manxies if they have TV's over here, we are a bunch of backwards gypsies...can't even have a skating ring with out some dumb fux breaking themselves... I've been skating hundreds of times in Scotland, never ever, not even once, have I seen anyone injure themselves. /shakes head in wonderment.

Yeah, but that's the point - people in Scotland have the chance to skate every day, all year round and so you don't get the stampede reaction at those icerinks that you're seeing over here, and people grow up learning to skate, so of course there are fewer injuries.

Also funny to see here Lostlogin's attitude that because you can already skate, you must be elitist and not wanting "to share the ice rink with others not as worthy as you!".

Sigh.

:wacko:

It's a flagrant breach of the islands health and safety policy!!

How dare anyone come here and allow our citizens to be placed in danger such as this.

It rivals the TT for madness and should be banned immediately, the operators assets should be seized and they should be jailed like all wrongdoers on this island!

Yeah, but that's the point - people in Scotland have the chance to skate every day, all year round and so you don't get the stampede reaction at those icerinks that you're seeing over here, and people grow up learning to skate, so of course there are fewer injuries.

Did you not read my post? People do get injured in the UK ice skating especially at Christmas when temporary icerinks are installed. That is the point people do 'stampede' to these attractions everywhere. Google it - ice skating is prone to accidents.

I think you've taken a bump on the head and lost few of those important cells.

Did you not read my post? People do get injured in the UK ice skating especially at Christmas when temporary icerinks are installed. That is the point people do 'stampede' to these attractions everywhere. Google it - ice skating is prone to accidents.

I think you've taken a bump on the head and lost few of those important cells.

I think you're the one with the bump on the head. I have not disagreed with you at all when it comes to seasonal ice rinks - read my posts again. I was trying to make the point that towns that have permanent ice rinks will presumably have fewer recorded injuries than towns which just have a stampede for a few weeks to a temporary, seasonal rink, so I have no idea what you're arguing about.

Archived