Real Ice Rink For Festive Season

isleofman.com News

I believe a bloke fell over and another skater went over his hand severing his first finger around 6pm. Ambulance took him and recovered finger to hospital. Work colleague of missus witnessed a partly severed finger incident. This may be same incident or two separate events.

A couple of broken legs at the weekend as well I heard. Place is a deathtrap! :)

Three broken wrists this weekend (people i know).could be more .A & E must be loving it,like TT week at hospital

Not bloody surprised as there was not a pair of blade protectors in sight and the boots were being slung, blades first, across the counter to waiting little fingers......Considering the Health & Safety now won't sell you Christmas crackers in M&S unless you're over 16, I was amazed at the lack of this basic safety precaution where it really mattered.

Have skated myself for years but a giddy bastard (adult, btw, the kids were no trouble) crashed into me and I can now be added to the broken wrist numbers....Know a guy with a broken arm as well from there.

They should have had sessions for beginners, intermediates and advanced - the ice was too packed with people and most of them were rubbish.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just took my kids, never again they are trying to get too many people on the ice and they dont smooth it between sessions. this is an accident waiting to happen. how about less greed and less people per session

They put the smoothing machine on it before and after the session when I was there.

just took my kids, never again they are trying to get too many people on the ice and they dont smooth it between sessions. this is an accident waiting to happen. how about less greed and less people per session

Reading the thread it seems like an accident all ready happened, repeatedly.

Still nice to have something different going on.

Reading the thread it seems like an accident all ready happened, repeatedly.

Still nice to have something different going on.

Yes it is crowded at times and less so at other times but appears to be reasonably well run. Always plenty of marshalls on the ice to help and assist and when I have bee down they seem to have run the machine over between sessions.

As for accidents there obvioulsy have bee a few, but it is an ice rink for gawd sake so you expect a few to fall over and to get the odd sprain or break here and there. This is especially considering the numbers who appear to be using it and the fact that probably the majority have never been on a set of ice skates before in their lives with many more only having had minimal experience.

All in all it is good to see it being popular and shows that if you do something correctly it has a chance of being a success

Reading the thread it seems like an accident all ready happened, repeatedly.Still nice to have something different going on.

Yes it is crowded at times and less so at other times but appears to be reasonably well run. Always plenty of marshalls on the ice to help and assist and when I have bee down they seem to have run the machine over between sessions.

As for accidents there obvioulsy have bee a few, but it is an ice rink for gawd sake so you expect a few to fall over and to get the odd sprain or break here and there. This is especially considering the numbers who appear to be using it and the fact that probably the majority have never been on a set of ice skates before in their lives with many more only having had minimal experience.

All in all it is good to see it being popular and shows that if you do something correctly it has a chance of being a success

Yes.....except I've just come from the A&E this morning with my iceskating break, where they say they have had at least 60 ice-skating injuries including 3 broken wrists yesterday alone, to mothers taking their kids iceskating. They were having a right good laugh at the newspaper article which mentioned only a couple of minor injuries.....

As you say, the majority of the people on their icerink can't skate and so all the more reason not to have the place so jampacked, and all the more reason to have different abilities on at different times.

Yes.....except I've just come from the A&E this morning with my iceskating break, where they say they have had at least 60 ice-skating injuries including 3 broken wrists yesterday alone, to mothers taking their kids iceskating. They were having a right good laugh at the newspaper article which mentioned only a couple of minor injuries.....

As you say, the majority of the people on their icerink can't skate and so all the more reason not to have the place so jampacked, and all the more reason to have different abilities on at different times.

What makes you think the injuries are related to the numbers? Wouldn't people skate faster if it was quieter, increasing the risk? It sounds like you were unlucky with someone crashing into you, but is that the norm?

It's an ice rink, if you go on it, you should be aware it's a risky activity. Only on the IOM could it create this amount of bleating.

What makes you think the injuries are related to the numbers? Wouldn't people skate faster if it was quieter, increasing the risk? It sounds like you were unlucky with someone crashing into you, but is that the norm?

It's an ice rink, if you go on it, you should be aware it's a risky activity. Only on the IOM could it create this amount of bleating.

I think King Julien is bleating ecause he had to share the ice rink with others not as worthy as him.

I really wonder if some people actually think before posting as I have to wonder if he had actualy thought through his idea about different levels on at different times. Firstly it is not something I have seen anywhere else. Secondly how do you judge somebodies ability or are we all meant to have tests. Thirdly how many experienced skaters does he actually think there are on the Island. My guess is very few, in which case is he prepared to pay a much higher price for those sessions as obviously it is not in the interests of the organisors just to limit the rink to a handful at any one time.

Finally as an adult if you do not like it busy, take time off work and go when the kids are at school.

And finally fianlly anybody here actually work at A&E and able to confirm or deny King Julien's reports about the number of injuries or is it just an urban myth.

And finally fianlly anybody here actually work at A&E and able to confirm or deny King Julien's reports about the number of injuries or is it just an urban myth.

A friend was up at A&E on saturday with a broken wrist after a fall at the ice-rink and the nurse said to her they had approx 40 people through from the rink since it opened - some only minor sprains though.

From the amount that have used it, it's probably a small percentage and expected from ice skating - especially with so many people trying it for the first time.

All good fun! :)

BAN it i say, or wrap them in cotten wool utter madeness that such a thing can be run and people can end up in hos.

whats the world coming to when this can happin :rolleyes:

Anyone remember summerland and the carnage that used to go on there. sat afternoon and there be hundreads of kids being going round like mad men mass piles up kids getting slammed in the sides,

hell they were good times :cool:

How things have changed

A friend was up at A&E on saturday with a broken wrist after a fall at the ice-rink and the nurse said to her they had approx 40 people through from the rink since it opened - some only minor sprains though.

From the amount that have used it, it's probably a small percentage and expected from ice skating - especially with so many people trying it for the first time.

All good fun! :)

So slightly less then King Jullien's 60 in a day!

Don't know, but I would imagine that the more people there are flailing about on a very small ice rink, the higher the chances of injury. Several adults crashed into my kids because it is instinct to reach out and grab whatever is there to stop yourself falling - even if it's a kid, apparently....

As a Manx person growing up here, I always wished we had an icerink on the Island. I'd have loved to have learned to skate then. The only way the Manx will ever get to be any use on ice is if there is a permanent rink so they can actually learn to skate and the frenzied chaos that's evident now will disappear when people calm down a bit and the novelty value wears off. It would also be nice if they could offer lesson sessions too.

Lostlogin: Read again, carefully this time: 3 injuries in one day and 60 so far since rink opened.

Don't know, but I would imagine that the more people there are flailing about on a very small ice rink, the higher the chances of injury. Several adults crashed into my kids because it is instinct to reach out and grab whatever is there to stop yourself falling - even if it's a kid, apparently....

As a Manx person growing up here, I always wished we had an icerink on the Island. I'd have loved to have learned to skate then. The only way the Manx will ever get to be any use on ice is if there is a permanent rink so they can actually learn to skate and the frenzied chaos that's evident now will disappear when people calm down a bit and the novelty value wears off. It would also be nice if they could offer lesson sessions too.

Read again: 3 in a day. 60 so far since rink opened.

you dont ask for much do you.

If it was that bad, why did you go on the ice in the first place

From the amount that have used it, it's probably a small percentage and expected from ice skating - especially with so many people trying it for the first time. All good fun! :)

So slightly less then King Jullien's 60 in a day!

Do you work there or something? He didn't say 60 in one day, he said 60 ice-skating injuries. That would make sense if it was up to 40 last Saturday as slinkydevil said.

Archived