Anyone Tried Chapters Yet?

bishbashbosh

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
erm what is it?

New resturant/cafe/take away type place, all in one. Where En Fin was on Victoria Street. Been a few ads on here 031009.com - which seems a bit of a waste as nothing has happened on the site itself nor does it even give basic details about the place now it's opened. That said, I'm sure there's more to worry about than a website if you're setting up a new business. Main site is chaptersdouglas.com but that doesn't seem to be up and running yet either.

Was in for lunch on the "bistro level". Small, but bright and airy atmosphere, small-ish tables, some situated in a dodgy position for pervy looks up the spiral staircase :ph34r:

Short menu, took me a couple of minutes to spot the prices as they're in a small font with no currency symbol or decimals, e.g. "steak sandwich 10"

Food was tasty but a bit fiddly. Coffee was nice.

Breakfast menu looks good and I'd like to give it a try. Not particularly special for lunch, though.

Would like to see what the restaurant is like.

So that is what 031009.com is all about. Still says it is coming soon though. I am sure there are lots of things to think about when opening a new business, but if you start to trail something like that, then you have to be prepared to follow it through or you lose all the impact.

Lest that's what we do at T K Maxx, allegedly.

I popped in the other day, was nice, quite funky and the stairs are very perviable..lol

I had the Tomato Soup and it was pretty damn amazing, coffee was also well made. So will be going back and I look forward to trying the restaurant one weekend.

I know it was short staffed due to illness, but the staff that where there served us quickly, where polite and smartly dressed etc.

Spot on place IMO.

I'm slightly freaked out by the adverts promising me a happy ending...

OMG me too, its really bad and so annoying the way her voice changes, and as for the guy he's been telling us all what a wonderful experience he's had with the attentive staff before it had even opened!!!

But i am looking forward to trying the place out. :)

I went there yesterday evening to have a look at the menu.

I have to say i'm a bit confused. They have a bistro menu which looks pretty good and is at the top end (price wise) of the usual places (Bar George, Slug and Lettuce, Court House etc) but they only serve that until 5pm. Then their fine dining is open from 6.30pm until 9pm. Starters average 10 quid and main meals average 20 quid. So it's pretty FINE dining I would hope.

Me and the wife just wanted some kind of bistro food for tea. So we quickly up sticks and left.

It does look quite a nice place, furnished well but they have certainly over-complicated their menus and times. It advertises it self as a jack of all trades but you can only have bistro food between 12pm and 5pm.

I remember yellow corpie buses!

Was Blakemore's a music shop that was there? What was the name of the music shop on the other side of Victoria Street and opposite(ish) Sayle's?

showing your age there old Glad :P

Blakemores was the music shop, (hence the reference to a piano bar !) it was taken over when Manx Radio Rentals bought the shop, they used to have one side for the music and the other for tv etc. (had the lattice mast on the roof to get Winter Hill tv signals, before local colour transmissions as it was shielded by the Regal cinema block).

I don't recall another music shop down there, Brigazzi's furniture was nearly opposite next to the Shakespear pub, Bell's tobacconist was on the other corner of Fort St. Silver Grill was next door until the bank moved in (all white tiles like a public loo !) Norris Press on the other end of the block at the entrance to Villiers Yard car park.

Was Blakemore's a music shop that was there? What was the name of the music shop on the other side of Victoria Street and opposite(ish) Sayle's?

Blakemores was the music shop, (hence the reference to a piano bar !) it was taken over when Manx Radio Rentals bought the shop, they used to have one side for the music and the other for tv etc. (had the lattice mast on the roof to get Winter Hill tv signals, before local colour transmissions as it was shielded by the Regal cinema block).

I don't recall another music shop down there, Brigazzi's furniture was nearly opposite next to the Shakespear pub, Bell's tobacconist was on the other corner of Fort St. Silver Grill was next door until the bank moved in (all white tiles like a public loo !) Norris Press on the other end of the block at the entrance to Villiers Yard car park.

I am old!

No, I am thinking of further up Victoria Street, around where the estate agents or Wimanx are now, but before Gelling's. I think it was just a record shop, but it is a very long time ago. My grandmother owned the tobacconists at one time, but that was in the 40'sish (which I don't remember, just have the family lore handed down).

I am old!

No, I am thinking of further up Victoria Street, around where the estate agents or Wimanx are now, but before Gelling's. I think it was just a record shop, but it is a very long time ago. My grandmother owned the tobacconists at one time, but that was in the 40'sish (which I don't remember, just have the family lore handed down).

wasn't the record department of Boots (upstairs) was it ?, in through the upper entrance rather than the corner doors

can't recall if there was anything between Boots and Gellings or if they made up the whole block

or was it after the Boots era ?

Archived