Tv Licence Inspector On The Iom

MilitantDogOwner

Whilst I'm no fan of these bully boy doorstep tactics, or the licence fee itself

Give me the BBC anyday in place of the commercial crap that you offer

Ah yes, the tv licence man......knocked on our door one afternoon while my husband was at work. As I'd only just arrived on the island and hadn't found a job yet, I was home to answer it. He stated that my husband hadn't paid his tv license yet and he was there to collect it. I didn't know what he was talking about, but offered that the tv was a rental so didn't know why we would have to pay (don't ask me to explain that logic). He just stared at me blankly without even cracking a smile at my obvious ignorance.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whilst I'm no fan of these bully boy doorstep tactics, or the licence fee itself, I think that shooting an inspector (legitimate or not) is still somehow frowned upon and could get you into Very Serious Trouble, Wazir.

Unless you killed him and retro-fitted exploding shoes. I think the local bobbies might allow an element of mitigation.

AND he as wearing a kilt, of course.

After spending a week in the US and having to put up with their standard of TV, with ad breaks every 10 minutes, which makes watching a programme almost unbearable, I'm afraid I would rather pay the license fee for a television service which has channels without advert breaks and commercial channels with well spaced breaks.

Well, should one of these red letter sending "inspectors" make his pathetic presence known at Amadeus Manor, then I shall truthfully and very efficiently inform him that I have already contacted TV GeStaPo HQ in the past, with my details and a full explanation surrounding the circumstances of this splendid residence.

I shall then add that I won't repeat all this information to him now, as surely "It's all in the database", as the Stasi produced adverts make us believe. The fact that the database might not be as splendid and well run as one is lead to believe is truly not my problem.

I shall then instruct Jeeves to evict this walking obstruction on intelligence from my grounds and consider the matter closed.

Unless, of course, the police force reject knocks on my door while I'm asleep - then there won't be any words. Just a funeral. In my garden.

Time now, me thinks to tell the UK Gov. where to put the TV Tax.

Its money direct to the UK of which we get nowt back (or very little in terms of what we pay in)

The transmitters here should be converted to take a downlink signal from free sats and the network used to broadcast that signal, or the sites closed down and sold - or leased to the UK for TV relay stations to Northern Ireland, relay stations for communications etc etc. AT A PRICE.

I would be more than willing to buy another TV Licence if the money stayed here - 50 quid a year seems reasonable.

Should the CAPITA employee turn up on my doorstep he gets a kick down the drive. He is only a hostile government contractor who is demanding money from me for service I do not want, need or get any use of.

I keep seeing the BBC van/Isle of Man van driving around, not seen if its Manx registered yet - but if its not it should be impounded and sent back.

Just had a TV Licence inspector on the doorstep.

Apparently when we moved they did not update our details properly. We were fine as we had still been paying by direct debit so they confirmed the bank details on the phone and then updated the records there and then.

So...if you are not in possession of a paid up licence get one.

Did check his ID but forgot to ask for his work permit though...

I Hope you never gave him your banking details. I bought a Freeview box in England, got a letter from them saying I wasn't registered. I pay by direct debit. There was one word different in the Address, the house name. Ignored it,if they employ people who can't read that's their problem. Pull down the Union Jacks and send the Governor home.

Its money direct to the UK of which we get nowt back (or very little in terms of what we pay in)

FFS - It's 40p per day. My daily newspaper costs more - and much more at the weekends.

I think that 40p is well worth it just for radios 4 and 7 alone.

One of the exemptions in the work permit regs is "employment as an inspector under any enactment"

Did you make that up?

plus u dont need a work permit if say he comes once a year for a week, or something like that

3 or more days in a six month period IIRC. But I couldn't be bothered to look it up. And of course the "inspecting" doohickey trumps it anyway. Why am I posting this? Rhetorical question btw. Pizza calls...

3 days exemption in a lifetime

FFS - It's 40p per day. My daily newspaper costs more - and much more at the weekends.

I think that 40p is well worth it just for radios 4 and 7 alone.

Completely agree.

And Sir Terry.

I used to get regular letters saying that they didn't have a record of me having a License, even though I had been paying by monthly standing order for years, I just ignored them and when I eventually got a knock on the door, I just showed them my present Licence and politely asked the inspector to make sure their records were updated correctly. Had no letters since, just a yearly statement with the new License.

I don't mind paying for the License, as someone said its less than the cost of a newspaper for each day, but they do need to sort out their records system and what can be quite aggressive letters .

Whilst I'm no fan of these bully boy doorstep tactics, or the licence fee itself, I think that shooting an inspector (legitimate or not) is still somehow frowned upon and could get you into Very Serious Trouble, Wazir.

Why ? you can still shoot a scotsman on sight can you not?

I know its only 40p/day (if I paid it) - but do we really want to be giving all those 40p's/day to the UK?

You can get the signal for free from space - as they do in Germany, Holland, France, Spain etc etc etc. I don't see them handing over 40p/day (or 56.3 cents or whatever the exchange rate is today) to the UK to get bugger all in return.

I know its only 40p/day (if I paid it) - but do we really want to be giving all those 40p's/day to the UK?

You can get the signal for free from space - as they do in Germany, Holland, France, Spain etc etc etc. I don't see them handing over 40p/day (or 56.3 cents or whatever the exchange rate is today) to the UK to get bugger all in return.

And you can catch German and French TV in just the same way without paying their licence fees (€200 and €110 respectivily I think)

Archived