Tv Licence Inspector On The Iom

MilitantDogOwner

Whilst I'm no fan of these bully boy doorstep tactics, or the licence fee itself, I think that shooting an inspector (legitimate or not) is still somehow frowned upon and could get you into Very Serious Trouble, Wazir.

Why ? you can still shoot a scotsman on sight can you not?

yes you can .. on new years eve if he is a pure scott and you are a pure manx and it is his fist time on the island and you are on douglas head...

do not ask me WHY or HOW i know this , its just a random thing lol

You could just chase him off with a rampant rabbit Jenny ;)

Remember to take the biggest one you can find!!!!

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am amazed at some of the posts suggesting that the TV licence fee is excessive and/or its payment is resented. Although I very rarely use my TV, I am more than happy to pay the licence fee, and only wish that it were more (it probably will be soon enough).

However I do have some sympathy with the woman who was challenged by the inspector to produce a current licence and offered him one for the previous year. I gather that the inspector was not amused by her comment that last year's licence should be OK as most of the programmes were last year's repeats anyway.

I am amazed at some of the posts suggesting that the TV licence fee is excessive and/or its payment is resented. Although I very rarely use my TV, I am more than happy to pay the licence fee, and only wish that it were more (it probably will be soon enough).

However I do have some sympathy with the woman who was challenged by the inspector to produce a current licence and offered him one for the previous year. I gather that the inspector was not amused by her comment that last year's licence should be OK as most of the programmes were last year's repeats anyway.

This is so obviously a troll. It made me laugh. laugh.gif

• 2 years later...

Purely out of interest, is anyone able to point me towards Manx legislation that gives the UK authority to inspect and possibly prosecute non-UK citizens with regard to this topic. And does the UK licesning authority do the same in the Republic of Ireland where there is wholesale viewing of BBC channels? I doubt it.

The woman on the radio made a point of saying they were after people who watch even just a little LIVE TV

So if you are just watching Netflix/ catchup you dont need one

Read up on it

I don't have equipment capable of receiving a live TV broadcast
No licence necessary

Yeah don't watch any live TV.

So fine.

Unless going to the pub for the football counts; which I doubt

I do miss just being able to flick the TV on for 10-20 minutes in a morning to be honest.

But I can quite happily live without it.

I will get a license this year, but I will not renew, I will get a new one as it upsets their records / causes them loads of aggro.

Hate to break it to you, but I did exactly that some years ago. Stopped a direct debit, allowed the licence to expire and got a new one in my wife's name rather than mine. It caused no aggro and not one threat-o-gram burdened my doormat. I was almost a little disappointed.

Not that I did it to annoy them, they had signed me up on a DD scheme that effectively meant they were taking 2 years worth of money in the first year, which is not what I agreed on the phone.

Archived