China's Politics And Stuff

Chinahand

The pair of F22 jets sent up to shoot it down had the callsigns FRANK1 & FRANK2 in homage to a WW1 US pilot who was particularly adept at shooting down German balloons. 

I think it's the first air to air kill for the F22.  I bet they didn't expect it to be a balloon!  I wonder if the pilot will get to paint a Balloon on the side of his jet to record the kill? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 11:27 PM, Chinahand said:

The most coherent explanation I've seen is a mix of the Hu illness & the Xi humiliating his predecessor stories. It states Hu is suffering from dementia but Xi wanted him around to validate his coronation. 

However Hu wasn't able to follow Xi's exacting requirements. For some reason no one was meant to open their files before Xi had finished his big speech but Hu could remember/comprehend these instructions. The Party member sitting to his left hand been given the task of ensuring Hu behaved but he couldn't stop him fiddling with his file ... There are photos of him getting increasingly nervous as he fails in his job of minding Hu. 

After this has gone on for a bit Xi goes enough is enough and a flunky is beckoned over who then removes Hu, who clearly is clueless as to why he's being removed. 

Learning points: Hu is in steep decline. Xi is a control freak. 

Only the former is really new information. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blowing my own trumpet I admit, but I'm quite pleased with this thread:

The cultural and military clashes between Russia, China and Japan at the start of the 20th Century are quite stunning and full of fascinating stories. What a movie the Manchurian adventures of Major Louis Seaman would make - with American, Chinese, Russian & Japanese tensions it would be very contemporary!

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 11:18 AM, Len Trench said:

RIP Jiang Yanyong; State Hero and CCP member.

Imprisoned & held under house-arrest for speaking truth to CCP power. SARS could have been significantly worse if it hadn't been for Jiang's actions.

https://hongkongfp.com/2023/03/15/doctor-who-exposed-chinas-2003-sars-cover-up-dies-at-91/

People also don't realise that a huge contributing factor to Japan surrendering in WW2 was the threat of Russian invasion. 

Up until the first atom bomb was dropped, Russia and Japan had a neutrality pact signed in 1941.  Just before the second bomb was dropped, Stalin saw his opportunity against the weakened Japanese and declared war on them, invading some of their northern territories.  This only lasted a few days however before the second bomb was dropped and Japan realised they had no chance against the Allies and Russia. 

• 6 months later...

If you want to understand China's politics just have a gander at the front page of People's Daily, this is China's equivalent of the Times or Torygraph or New York Times. It is China's paper of record.

Now I know most people won't know Chinese, but can I ask you to do a search for three characters:

习近平

These are the characters for Xi Jinping: the  name of the general secretary of the Chinese Communist Party, chairman of the CPC Central Military Commission and far less importantly also holding the position of the president of the People's Republic of China and rather clearly China's dominant personality!

State controlled media R PRC!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

恭喜发财!

Happy Chinese New Year one and all!

It is now the year of the dragon, and if you are concerned about the increased militarisation of China. Then watch this! It is I think a first for the New Years Gala which dominates New Year's Eve in the PRC. The PLA in full combat fatigues with virtual aircraft carriers, fighter jets and nuclear missile launches!

21 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

恭喜发财!

Happy Chinese New Year one and all!

It is now the year of the dragon, and if you are concerned about the increased militarisation of China. Then watch this! It is I think a first for the New Years Gala which dominates New Year's Eve in the PRC. The PLA in full combat fatigues with virtual aircraft carriers, fighter jets and nuclear missile launches!

China’s certainly got talent. 
But we used to think that Russia had military talent too but that seems to have gone less well. 

I suspect China will soon have to decide whether all its posturing is just that or is it really serious about regional domination. 

interesting times. 

China has been busy working away at softening up movers and shakers in key industries in the West for many years, particularly in infrastructure, communications, energy and education. It's a far slicker war on democracy than the clumsy trap—bribe—bot modus operandi of Russia. They now know a lot more about us than we do about them. 

• 1 month later...

An excellent lecture on the Cultural Revolution.

A seriously horrid time of violence, anarchy and political repression:

https://youtu.be/XcgtfCv0MK0?si=w3vHMu_1aKQKkcjW

It is a part of Darwin College's Lecture series on Revolutions:

https://www.darwin.cam.ac.uk/lectures/category/item/2024-lecture-series-revolution/

• Like 1