Massive Overhaul Of Govt Depts Proposed By Tony Brown

Declan

All this is merely an attempt by Tony Brown (or "Shitty" as he is known to his friends) to divert attention from the complete failure of himself

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to divert attention from catastrophic failure. Time to step down and let Bell do the job until a candidate actually elected by the people can be found.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of this makes sense and should have been done years ago. Department for Economic Development is great news (big challenge though) - not so sure about splitting up Health and Social Care as I think there's quite a few synergies here and doing so increases the chances for poor communication/people to get lost in the system/things getting missed. The original idea of shifting Social Security to Treasury and keeping Health and Social Care as one department sounds more sensible to me.

Department of the Environment though... eh?!!! Not looking very beefy for the cost of being on its own/status of having a dedicated Minister. I mean most of the countryside/DAFF stuff doesn't even sit here and goes with the Department of Community, Culture and Leisure. Odd.

As many have said though... the cost of it all?!!!!

The Tynwald debate will be interesting - I'd certainly like to see the cost, Department of the Environment and splitting Health and Social Care up questioned.

Department of Education and Children - Annie Craine

Why the heck are they proposing a Minister for Children?

Er, what do they mean by the 'safeguarding of children'?

Is this some local version of the Nanny State?

Um, there was this big scandal a few years back when a couple of teengers were brutally murdered. Lots of bad publicity, costly reports, action plans to stop this sort of thing happening again. Was kinda a big deal.

And how many new highly paid Chief Executive jobs will be created, and more MHKs getting a bit of the cake.

None. The number of Departments remains unchanged.

I'd quit if I was Gawne and I was given Environment. His Department have built their new eco-office in on time and on budget, he's the only one that seems to have reorganised his department to meet the new economic climate and he's probably had to compromise more than most to collective responsibility.

That's pretty much why I can see him getting Environment. In addition to everything else, he's already irked them with his call for salary cuts, so I can well imagine him being fobbed off with the Environment under the ruse of claiming he'll have a real opportunity to help the Island and look after its interests.

As for Quayle, remember that they shifted Ernie into Home Affairs, of all places, after what was hardly a stellar performance at the DTL so anything can happen.

after the next election there will be a new intake of MHK's looking for an experienced leader, he could be kingmaker next time.

I honestly hope so, but I'm remaining cautious. I'm still not sure that a large part of the electorate has yet felt enough of a pinch to overcome their traditional antipathy towards change, and it has to be remembered that a lot of MHKs are voted in as much, if not more, on local issues than on national issues, so a lot depends on how they've fulfilled the promises they made to their constituencies in the last election, and what they'll promise in this one.

On that subject, looking through some of the election data over the last 25 years or so, it really is a pretty depressing picture. The vast majority of constituencies have voted out an incumbant at most once during that period, with it being pretty much equally divided between having never done so and having done so once. Onchan and Rushen are apparently the hotbeds of radicalism, since they've done so twice in the same period. Usually seats change when an incumbant stands down at the next election, resigns or is appointed to LegCo (hell, it seems like you've got as much chance of ending your career in the Keys by being elevated to LegCo as being voted out). No wonder complacency is a problem in Manx politics, some of our MHKs have been in office for over a decade. Tony Brown has been the MHK for Castletown for nigh on 30 years now!

Predictions usually come back to bite the arse of those who made them, but my gut feeling is that as things stand now we'll see somewhere in the region of 16 to 17 old faces in the Tynwald. Also, I reckon Quayle has a fair chance of keeping his seat, if only because anyone stupid enough to vote for him twice will probably vote for him a third time.

Sounds about right now,

I've put the Departments in the correct order now

Social care

Health

Infrastructure

Treasury

Leisure, Community & Culture

Economic development

Environment

Children & Education

Home Affairs

I'll post my thread in here seeing as there is a duplicate thread going:

Subject to Tynwald approval, seven of the nine existing government departments will be dissolved on 31st March and replaced by entirely new departments.

The nine government departments will be:

Department of Community, Culture and Leisure

Department of Economic Development

Department of Education and Children

Department of the Environment

Department of Health

Department of Home Affairs

Department of the Infrastructure

Department of Social Care

Department of the Treasury

The re-structuring is not being undertaken as a means of making staff redundant.

So no one is being made redundant, nothing is changing except the names - I'd like to see the cost of this, new logos, stationery, brochures, email sigs etc etc etc.

Why?

Sounds about right now,

I've put the Departments in the correct order now

Social care

Health

Infrastructure

Treasury

Leisure, Community & Culture

Economic development

Environment

Children & Education

Home Affairs

Well done! I thought in tough times it was going to be something a bit sharper

Treasury

Health

Environment

Chidren

Home Affairs

Infrastructure

Social Care

Economic Development

Leisure

unfortunately 'costly damp squib' doesn't fit

AAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breathes* AHAAAHAAAAHAAA - what a bunch of muppets!

Even Yes Minister couldn't come up with a daft plot like this. :weee::weee:

A guaranteed one way ticket to loose you seat in the next election, if loosing the health agreement wasn't enough.

What's next? Can they shuffle and re-name the TT? Or perhaps ban all tourists and fill the island with roundabouts and bendy-buses?

Totally unbelievable...

Where is my lifejacket, the call to abandon ship can't be far away!

. Also, I reckon Quayle has a fair chance of keeping his seat, if only because anyone stupid enough to vote for him twice will probably vote for him a third time.

As a member of his constituency I think that is a bit harsh as his election was also a reflection on who the alternatives were. I think it was Kate Beecroft of the Liberal Vannin Party and Andrew Jessop last time out. It is a shame there is a none of the above option and if that is the majority then no MHK is elected. I am not sure we would be any worse off

Remember all this at the next election.

As I have just posted it is great remembering, but what if the alternatives are worse. The current lot may be no great shakes but I do not remember thinking at the last election that a great amount of political talent was rejected by the electorate and looking back now at the results I still remain unconvinced that those who stood but were not elected were anything to get excited about.

Originally, I thought it would come under deFENCE, but it took ages and eventually found it and has been renamed as follows;

Chief Airport & New Transport Boss, Embracing Airfield, Runway & Statistical Evidence Department

in other words:

Chief

Airport &

New

Transport

Boss

Embracing

Airfield

Runway &

Statistical

Evidence

Department

Where's the Ministry of Airfield and Aircraft Statistics?

This Island is going to be what is commonly known as "fucked", house is going on the market and I'm out of here, I would imagine that i'm not alone in my thinking.

Bye then

Just when you think it just couldn't get worse. From MR:

Tony Brown : "Major changes to the Manx government have been a long time coming and aren't a knee-jerk reaction to the crises of the last 18 months."

Allan Bell : "The redrawing of the VAT revenue sharing agreement with the United Kingdom has been the catalyst to introduce proposals to overhaul the Manx government."

For god's sake somebody tell them what "joined up government" means!!!

Words fail me... Apart from very much less than complimentary ones!

Archived