Massive Overhaul Of Govt Depts Proposed By Tony Brown

Declan

This Island is going to be what is commonly known as "fucked", house is going on the market and I'm out of here, I would imagine that i'm not alone in my thinking.

So you'll go to the UK which is in an even worse state?

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*sigh* hapless, hapless, politicians. *sigh* They are bringing this island to it's knees and we are letting them. All we do is talk about how it can be done better but do Brown and his ilk realise the resentment they are generating. I doubt it. We need to show them how we feel before they make things worse. It's time to march ON tynwald.

*sigh* hapless, hapless, politicians. *sigh* They are bringing this island to it's knees and we are letting them. All we do is talk about how it can be done better but do Brown and his ilk realise the resentment they are generating. I doubt it. We need to show them how we feel before they make things worse. It's time to march ON tynwald.

Rubbish - if you want to see an island on it's knees look west.

This Island is going to be what is commonly known as "fucked", house is going on the market and I'm out of here, I would imagine that i'm not alone in my thinking.

No doubt that you're not alone in your thinking, but there are quite a few negative, ignorant people on here and the sooner you all sell up and piss off the better it will be for the Island.

No doubt that you're not alone in your thinking, but there are quite a few negative, ignorant people on here and the sooner you all sell up and piss off the better it will be for the Island.

Couldn't agree more.

. Also, I reckon Quayle has a fair chance of keeping his seat, if only because anyone stupid enough to vote for him twice will probably vote for him a third time.

As a member of his constituency I think that is a bit harsh as his election was also a reflection on who the alternatives were.

You're right, and I did feel a little guilty after posting it. I'm sorry to say that I'm a sucker for the facetious comment, no matter how ill judged.

Still, I'm interested in the point you make about the alternatives. Looking at Quayle's manifesto, it's little more than a long list of promises, no more convincing or worthy than the alternatives (apart from maybe the fact that Beecroft tries to play the Manx card by sticking her maiden name on hers, and Jessop adds BSc (Hons) to his name, which is a bit rubbish), and certainly his time in the House of Keys was then pretty undistinguished, at least on the national level.

I know that some people thought Jessop was a bit of a nutcase, so was it just the fact that Beecroft was inexperienced, thus favouring the incumbent (which kind of ties in with the point I was making), or the fact that she's a member of a political party? I'm just curious by the way, not trying to hold people account for voting Quayle in!*

*Personally the fact that his election photo makes him look like the slightly simple younger brother of Martin McGuinness would have had me voting for one of the others ;).

so what was the point of revamping the DAFF, and shouldn't it be now in with industry, not culture, or has someone looked up what culture means and thinks it's to do with cultivating ?, maybe someone thinks milk comes from supermarkets ! :P

It may be a bit tinfoil hat, but looking at the diagram that accompanies the IOM newspapers story I wonder if a small part of the motivation behind the reorganization isn't to effect a bit of a power grab. In particular, three departments have been substantially enlarged, which presumably means their ministers will have more responsibilities and places to delegate to MHKs. Shimmin's department has practically been abolished with the important part (Local government) being awarded to Infrastructure and Environment cut adrift where it's toothless and inconsequential. Similarly, Gawne's department has been entirely absorbed into the new Community, Culture and Leisure department, Eddie Teare's has been split into two and various bits and bobs have been shared out almost entirely between just three departments: CCL, Infrastructure, and the Treasury. It'll be interesting to see who ends up in the driving seats of these.

Page 24 of this week's Isle of Man Examiner:

post-2735-1265093173_thumb.jpg

OK a different era, but to be fair I don't think in those days the Isle of Man was suckling on the teats of the UK taxpayer to the tune of £100million a year.

Which by the way, works out at over £10,000 per each and every hour in a day.

....and using say 2000 working hours per year, that is about £50,000 per working hour.

If everyone in the whole public sector was to take a £5-6 per hour pay cut, then we will about have it.

Or if the PS want to keep their wages I would suggest Tony and Allan use the above photo as their template for the new Civil Service.

Er, what do they mean by the 'safeguarding of children'?

Is this some local version of the Nanny State?

Um, there was this big scandal a few years back when a couple of teengers were brutally murdered. Lots of bad publicity, costly reports, action plans to stop this sort of thing happening again. Was kinda a big deal.

So how does re arranging a government department prevent a brutal murder?

Please explain!

Archived