Massive Overhaul Of Govt Depts Proposed By Tony Brown

Declan

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'The public and business community is expecting leadership and action at this time of challenge for the Island. The important thing is to get a new structure in place to sharpen our focus on growing the economy and revenues, so Government can continue to support the quality and standard of life of the people of the Isle of Man.'

This seems to be missing the end of the quote as I'm sure it ended

"So we thought we would tinker at the edges in the hope everyone would be fooled into thinking we knew what we were doing"

Surely a massive overhaul of the Government should actual make changes to the way it operates, not just be a re-branding exercise. I assume this will cost millions and have little impact in overall costs.

I'll post my thread in here seeing as there is a duplicate thread going:

Subject to Tynwald approval, seven of the nine existing government departments will be dissolved on 31st March and replaced by entirely new departments.

The nine government departments will be:

Department of Community, Culture and Leisure

Department of Economic Development

Department of Education and Children

Department of the Environment

Department of Health

Department of Home Affairs

Department of the Infrastructure

Department of Social Care

Department of the Treasury

The re-structuring is not being undertaken as a means of making staff redundant.

So no one is being made redundant, nothing is changing except the names - I'd like to see the cost of this, new logos, stationery, brochures, email sigs etc etc etc.

Why?

Some observations -

1. Bus & Trains - in the Dept of Community, Culture & Leisure rather than in infrastructure.

2. Dept of the Environment - Environment Protection, but Dept of Community, Culture & Leisure protection of the countryside.

3. Where's Local Government?

Is he for real !

Can you tell me where any of this is to do with cost saving and belt tightening, it seems that the shortfall is to be overcome by the attraction of new income streams. Fine but none of this actually says how that is to be achieved.

The island will be in ruins by the time these people do something which is immediately positive !!

Is he for real !

Can you tell me where any of this is to do with cost saving and belt tightening, it seems that the shortfall is to be overcome by the attraction of new income streams. Fine but none of this actually says how that is to be achieved.

The island will be in ruins by the time these people do something which is immediately positive !!

I've not seen cost savings as an objective. This seems more to do with focusing similar efforts under one roof.

If you want more background on how this will achieve the aims, read the review document:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://w...ureofgovern.pdf

I read this post on the PAG website over the weekend. Seems like a good idea. Politicians here have an easy life. Never held to account for their promises or actions. It doesn't help that the press are toothless.

It has taken a long time for the think tank review document prepared by Robert Quayle before the last election to be brought forward. Streamlining as per his reccomendations ought to make dealing with government easier, quicker and therefore save money long term

Now commit to only one minister per department, no "members" so we have a powerful back bench to scrutinise and we get rid of patronage and that would actually be an advance

So how do you think the new COMIN will line up?

The following seem natural progressions from their previous roles -

Department of Community, Culture and Leisure - Phil Gawne

Department of Economic Development - David Cretney

Department of Education and Children - Annie Craine

Department of the Environment - John Shimmin

Department of Health

Department of Home Affairs - Adrian Earnshaw

Department of the Infrastructure - David Anderson

Department of Social Care

Department of the Treasury - Alan Bell

Eddie Teare was responsible for both the remaining functions previously so will have to move to one or the other - a move away from Health may be politically useful so Social Care, that leaves Martin Quayle and the Dept of Health! Is there anyone who can come in from outside?

Archived