Massive Overhaul Of Govt Depts Proposed By Tony Brown

Declan

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Department of Education and Children - Annie Craine

Why the heck are they proposing a Minister for Children?

It mirrors the UK's relatively new Department for Schools, Families and Children.

Safeguarding means trying to stop them being abused, murdered, etc.

So how do you think the new COMIN will line up?

The following seem natural progressions from their previous roles -

Department of Community, Culture and Leisure - Phil Gawne

Department of Economic Development - David Cretney

Department of the Environment - John Shimmin

Department of Health

Department of Home Affairs - Adrian Earnshaw

Department of the Infrastructure - David Anderson

Department of Social Care

Department of the Treasury - Alan Bell

Eddie Teare was responsible for both the remaining functions previously so will have to move to one or the other - a move away from Health may be politically useful so Social Care, that leaves Martin Quayle and the Dept of Health! Is there anyone who can come in from outside?

My guess

Economic Development Allan Bell (equivalent to Lord Mandelson in UK)

Community, Culture and Leisure David Cretney get TT back

Treasury Eddie Teare

Health or Social Services Ann Craine

Infrastructure John Shimmin done his time at DLGE

Don't put Martyn Quayle in charge of anything

Immediate reaction - I see that this is being heralded as a "Massive Overhaul of Government" - IMO it is a rejigging of the Public Service not the Government. A lot has already been written on this Forum about the amount of political structure needed for 32,000 households. If we are talking government this does nothing to address that aspect of government. The Department of Economic Development sounds a good idea - hopefully it will have some challenging revenue and business generation targets to meet. The Department of Community, Culture and Leisure IMO could be split sensibly between Economic Development (Tourism), Environment and Infrastructure. is it a good idea to create a separate Dept of Social Care? Could it be split between Health, Environment and Treasury?

From comments on this thread it also sounds as if the politocracy want to continue to fiddle with recommendations. The extent to which they push personal agendas from here will be critical in the effectiveness of what emerges. Hopefully they won't....but most likely they will.

There are comments about the cost savings or lack thereof caused by restructurings. This really needs to be tied down. If staffing levels are maintained this will just add cost due to the expense not only of relocating, stationery etc (mentioned by AT) but due to the loss of momentum as people jockey for places. How will these changes be managed effectively and kept on time and budget? is some form of non-replacement and eraly retirement planned?

My other immediate comment is will they move people around and protect 'seniority' or have a process to get the right people into the right jobs? Could this lead to a number of senior managers taking early retirement?

Apologies for disjointed comments.

I just had a look at Alan Bell's budget speech from last year. Perhaps this year he'll say: 'this restructure will double the continued reduction of numbers of people working for government'?

We have also to control the numbers of people working for Government, and the overall reduction of 2 in this figure, including temporary and contract staff, is a small step in the right direction.

Why the heck are they proposing a Minister for Children?

It mirrors the UK's relatively new Department for Schools, Families and Children.

Safeguarding means trying to stop them being abused, murdered, etc.

I though that was the job of social services and Child Protection? What's new?

All this is merely an attempt by Tony Brown (or "Shitty" as he is known to his friends) to divert attention from the complete failure of himself and his gang of shitkickers, chimney sweeps etc. to properly resolve the reciprocal health care matter. The man is a waste of a perfectly good ovum.

Those who can, do. Those who can't reorganise.

Tony Brown (no relative of mine I hope) - you're a waste of space!

Oh great. We're re arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic and about to spend millions on (another) IOMG re-branding exercise - new letterheads, new websites, re painting buses, vans and trucks. More money being spent doing NOTHING of benefit to anyone but those who have devised this strategy as a ploy to stay in a job.

Archived